Free w/ in-app purchase or Lite & Full version?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by invulse, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    When we decided for pickpawcket we came to the following conclusions.

FREE was better than lite for us because:
    1) Free is more catchy, lite means they're missing out on things
    2) It was 11 completely different levels than what you saw in the full game, so it encouraged our current players to pick it up too.

In regards to pro/HD, we didn't want to 'dirty' the app name for the paid players. The full version was just Pickpawcket and the people who weren't wanting to pay got Pickpawcket FREE. In software (something else members of our team does) we do it the other way around, but in gaming it didn't feel right.

(I say was because we pulled the free version. It didn't help much in the end)

2. I vote for a lite and full version of the game rather than going with an in app. I know for myself, I often search for the word lite in the appstore when I'm bored, and will try a lot of different programs. I don't know if a lot of people do this, but for me it's a good way to test programs out, and you never know what is going to come up when you search for lite which is nice.

3. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Now, I always go this road with 2 versions: Full & (lite+IAP). So, people are able to get the "full" experience without to have to buy and re-install a new app. Removing some steps is always better for your sales.

JC

4. fetagames

fetagames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Poland
    How do I see the problem:

After I have found each of my games stolen within few days after publish date I have decided to switch from Full + Lite model to Freemium model FreeApp + IAP.

I am wondering on using one of two types:
    - full free app with ads + IAP unlock (and others)
    - free app with no ads (with less functionality than full free with ads) + IAP stuff

this shoul maximize my earnings, due to my own ingame verification of IAP incvoices.