freeappaday.com is NOT free for developers!!!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MindJuice, Jan 22, 2010.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #41 MidianGTX, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    It'd likely still be iPhone devs paying for the advertisements, but at least they wouldn't have to make their game free at the same time. That's the part that worries me the most, paying for advertising = fine, making your app free for a day to raise awareness = fine, putting them both together? Thin ice.

I think it'd be a good idea if they put more emphasis on advertising paid apps on their site, taking into account their unique visitor count so that they can offer a good deal on ad space, and then as a result lower the cost for developers to participate in the freeappaday part of their website. Even with this setup I can't be 100% sure how I feel about it without more dev feedback, but it's gotta be better than what they're doing now.

Yeah, but the only paid apps they're advertising are their own and Plushed by Blacksmith Games... weren't they somehow involved too? Zero risk on those since they're not paying for the space.

The downside being it has little to do with how good your game actually is. Which brings me to another point, with freeappaday constantly pushing developers with $1200 to spare into the top 25 on the App Store, what's happened to those who can't afford it? Some of those games are much better, yet they're getting the raw deal. MindJuice are a great example, I'm not sure where Charmed sits at the moment but I'm betting it's lower than whatever freeappaday is promoting right now and to be honest, their game is probably better. It's also not fair on the end user since these games are sitting in the top spots, but they're quite definitely not the top games.

Apple have specific sections on iTunes where they promote whichever apps they deem worthy, but ideally the lists should be controlled by the consumers, what gives you the right to control them in this way?

2. That is an excellent point.

3. Actually only 100,000 got it for free since your app was only free for one day. The other 2.9M people just saw an ad for it. They realized it wasn't free anymore and ignored it.

4. Johannes

Johannes Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    #44 Johannes, Jan 22, 2010
    This is what you call the secondary function company - those that make bank off the hard work of the main function (i.e. developing Apps).

Even our game, iRis AG, could use some free spot light to increase sells, but the short-term ROI is a very NEGATIVE number with a 600$ fee attached. Precisely -$600, to be exact.

It's kinda like AdMob - you can buy 1400 clicks for 100$. Whenever those clicks turn into sales or not is a different number.

The question you got to ask yourself is, does the long-term ROI make business sense? If not, move on.

Do you want the extra user base for your App? Pay 600$ and find out if it works. Then see whenever that new user base did something further to invest into your products. Let's see _THAT_ number posted. That's the important one you need to look at to really know your long-term ROI.

Secondary function companies will always be made to make bank off the main function it serves. Whenever it services that main function in a positive way or not is irrelevant. They are making bank at the expense of your risk.

5. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
  6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Good point, I missed that one.

7. jmarquiso

jmarquiso Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Like, for example, starting an angry thread aimed at defamation.

While I may not personally agree with the entire thing, I think there was a better way to handle this than a rant followed by several exclamation points.

Freeappaday just got off of the ground. I wish they were more open about it being advertising prices but then again, as an end user and not a developer, it really isn't my business, is it?

Though it would have been just as informative to say on this same thread -

"Freeappaday.com isn't free. They have charges. Please be aware of this."

8. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    The real point is that others are actually taking time to click on it. Just because they expected a free app doesn't mean they won't pay for an app they want to play.

9. jmarquiso

Mar 26, 2009
    Let me just say this:

I've showed off apps to other people. I have received those apps for free. They have then bought them for money.

Even further - I've bought apps from companies that reduced an older game of there's for free for a promotion after they've proven quality work.

10. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    really what did you think...free advretizing? dream on they have to make a profit or else they wouldnt do it

11. ICS Mobile

ICS Mobile Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    2) the freemium approach. Do you really think that a user who stumbled upon your free app will dowload the DLC content? Also, the DLC way is hard to implement for an existing app-so, the question once again is: is that worth the effort???

For Freemium The key is to combine FreeAppADay with the Tapjoy sdk:

Tapjoy has an ingenious solution where every one wins:

The gamer gets content by downloading other free apps

the developer behind the free apps is happy because he is aquiring a new customer and since they have an ad-funded business model they will generate a profit over time and he is willing to pay 25cents for the guaranteed install

and we are getting paid 25 cents for providing the service!

It's a trasaction where everyone wins! you can't beat that!

Now if you have a paid app that you want to promote through the tapjoy sdk the mechanics is a little bit different!

Tapdefense as millions of users 20k new ones/day, these user gets new content by downloading either free (see above) or paid apps.

They get more points by downloading the paid apps and care therefore purchase more items within the tapjoy sdk. If they download you application that has the tapjoy sdk incorporated once the transaction is complete and they activate your application on their iPhones it sends a message to tapjoy which comfirms that the transaction was done through them and you tapjoy acct gets debited!

For a 99cents app: Tapjoy gets 50%, Apple gets 30% and you get 20%

so you never loose any money revenue in the transaction you are simply bringin in less cash!

But what the 20% return does is much more imporant than you think!

You see again it's all about discoverability!! there is a difference between being in the 26th spot or 25th spot or even 50th spot and 51st spot, because if you are on the 26th spot it means that the end user needs to scroll down on his iphone to reach you app! and the likelyhood for someone to scroll down diminishes every time they go higher in the rankings.

therefore the 20% return is correspond to an extra downloads that you would not have achieved if it wasn't for being in the tapjoy store! these extra downlaods are the ones that will push you to that 25th spot which will allow you to increase discoverabilty and therefore generate more sales that are actually bringing in a 70% return!

Bottom line no matter what you need a quality app!!! then once you increase discoverabilty you can survive in a 120k and growing iPhone market!

The cheapest way to achieve maximum discoverability is you are a small dev with a small budget is through FreeAppAday and/or Tapjoy.....

Otherwise it's all math and probabilities, there is only so much space on the App Store (limited real estate) but there is an endless amount of application that will be pooring in....Going to vegas will give you better odds, if you don't take all that into account...and solutions such as FreeAppAday and Tapjoy dramatically increases these odds as long as you have a good application but again...our platform is also limited...we can only have 30 apps in a single month and three hundreds something apps in the year....

I hope I was helpfull, I am not the best at explaining things...but this is the results of watching a lot of charts and looking at the trends!

So if you are new dev with a cool app....keep in touch with me and the ride will be FREE!!!

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, but hopefully it's not everyday the same 100.000 people visiting the website. That would also make 3.000.000 clicks in a month. But with the same 100.000 people everyday you'll win nothing.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The downside to that is that these 3,000,000 visitors (assuming they're unique) now know that if they visit the site every day, they'll never miss a free game and won't have to resort to paying for one they'd missed. The more popular the website gets and the longer it exists, the less effective it becomes for the devs participating.

14. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    #54 ICS Mobile, Jan 22, 2010
    Exactly, I have the stats here, and people are actually buying the apps that are now paid on the site!...anyhow it makes so much sense to me......

15. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I can't even get through all these posts. I don't care what ANYBODY says, this is ****ing ridiculous.

How about we call FreeAppADay what it is: Advertising for the UPPER TIER of Apps. It isn't for me, it isn't for MindJuice, it isn't for the vast majority of the developers on this forum.

It is designed for the apps that don't actually need the advertising.Which is basically the industry standard for iPhone at this point.

Advertising does NOT equal sales. It simply does not work that way, and anybody that tells you otherwise is lying. It takes a HELL of a lot more than just throwing a banner up somewhere.

16. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    right now we have 50% new visitors...that's why some of them are looking at the previous advertised games and they are buying them!

17. ThunderGameWorks

ThunderGameWorks Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    WHA??!! No first bumps for me? I guess being a developer just isn't worth it...:(

18. jmarquiso

Mar 26, 2009
    So without marketing or outreach, um, how does one know to buy it?

19. jmarquiso

Mar 26, 2009
    *fist bump*

I'm feeling charitable.

20. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    Well that's pretty much all I had to say! Newbies with good apps are welcome to advertise for FREE!

By the way users will be able to vote for their top best app of the month! the top 5 will have a gold frame on the calendar and they will also be featured on the left side of the site to generate more exposure to the cream of the crop!