Freemium - what do you love & what do you hate?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CrazyOkie, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    The f***. When did GL get the rights to Madden.. Sorry to break it to u but Madden 12 is still in the store as a full featured paid app.

Plus I doubt u even tried LG3 enough to know how bad it was. I don't remember paying in any freemiums to unlock content... And I'm sure I give em a shot more than most. I usually have enough patience to wait to play, play em out til I'm bored of it and delete it. No money wasted, no harm done.

2. TC Games

TC Games Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    iOS developer
    #22 TC Games, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    I think as long as it's not to heavy handed it's good for everyone. The Devs get more money and the players get more game.

3. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Honestly I'm almost done with this platform because of freemium. Seeing the bastardization that Gameloft has done to their titles this year, what I'm hearing about EA and now seeing other paid apps like Puzzle Quest 2 going freemium, I'm almost done.

I get the financial aspect. I get that people on iOS are too damn cheap to spend money on premium games and devs make tons on freemium. With that said, i just can't support a platform going in this direction.

4. Defiance211

Defiance211 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    What i love:
    FREE!
    What i hate:
    Lack of quality( THAT MEANS YOU GAMELOFT!)

5. teme

teme Member

May 10, 2011
    #25 teme, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    I completely agree with you. I'm losing interest to whole iOS platform gaming because all the freemium stuff going on, and my interest for PSP Vita & 3DS is growing. A year ago I was hoping that there will be more proper building games, because iPad is perfect for them, but almost all of them are destroyed by the freemium model. I just can't understand how people can complain for 5 dollar price tag for a PROPER game, and at the same time spend 5 dollars for some disposable freemium cash to build something more quickly. I'm hating freemium also because it changes game mechanics, and replaces all the challenge with 'wait or pay' model.

I have nothing against IAP, if it is for example more levels - something which is yours to keep after purchase. I'd happily pay for stuff packs for proper Sims game, but I'm not going to pay anything to buy more lifepoints to Sims FreePlay. Thankfully EA shoot themselves to the leg with Themepark IAP pricing, and hopefully it will flop so badly that someday we'll see a proper Themepark game.

6. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    freemium games: maximize profit and piss off 90% of the people

say for example there are 10 people, 7 people buys the game for $5, the dev makes $35 and 7/10 people are happy.

freemium - all 10 get the game for free 9/10 is pissed with all the IAP and having to pay for almost everything, 1/10 is a dumbass and spends $50. dev makes $15 more but pissed off 90% of it's customer base