From the makers of Mega Jump comes Mega Run!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Mar 8, 2011.

1. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Sure! You should also consider a little guy in a blue metal suit that uses his left arm as a weapon or a little orange alien with a long nose that jumps on different tiles to change their colors.

2. omgpixl

omgpixl Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    When will this come out?

3. nickfury

nickfury Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Founder and Creative Director at Get Set Games
    Toronto, Canada
    We're aiming for a summer release for Mega Run. You can keep up to date with our progress on our site at getsetgames.com

4. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Really can't wait for this. I love Mega Jump so hopefully this will be just as good in it's own way.

5. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    whatever happened to this game? summer release?!?

6. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Mega Run has been a bit longer in development than we originally planned, but that's mainly because it's turned into a much more in-depth game, and we're making great progress. Look out for more Mega Run news in the New Year!

[​IMG]

7. TC Games

TC Games Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    iOS developer
    I think this looks awesome! Mega Jump was one of the first iPhone games I played.

8. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    @ nick: That looks awesome. :p I can't wait.

@ TC: Mega Jump was the first ever iPhone game I got addicted to. It all started with Redford. :D

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I miss the old Mega Jump that I paid for. It was just one environment and no clutter. But the they turned it freemium and it went downhill. I hope this is better

10. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    That's great to hear :) We're doing our best to make Mega Run live up to what people love about Mega Jump, and hopefully we'll get a chance to show off more about it in the near future!

11. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Freemium seems to be a touchy subject, and we don't want to be seen in the same light as certain "ville" games I could mention. What in particular doesn't appeal to you about the new features we've added? Or more specifically, what part of the game went "downhill" from your perspective?

We've tried to add new features to Mega Jump while keeping it simple.

Also, as a free game, the majority of our players haven't paid a cent for the game at all, which is good and bad for us in different ways. We love that people who can't afford a whole bunch of games still get the chance to play the full game of Mega Jump with no restrictions, but it does feel odd that only a small percentage of people are actually paying for all the hard work our team did to make the game (and support it!)

It seems like a lot of people appreciate the two new worlds, new powerups and all the new characters we've added over the last year, but it's clear some people did like the simpler, older version, and we understand that.

12. MuMiN

MuMiN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Looks nice.

13. TheShoresOfHell

TheShoresOfHell Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Yeah, everyday another freemium game takes part of the top 200 grossing, people like to spend more than 10 dollars in a game inapps, but if you charge them 4.99 for the full experience they expect to be the most wonderful game in the galaxy!! xD

14. majia2008

majia2008 Active Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Wow, Mega Jump was one of my favourite!
    Hope it will be the next one.

15. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    I clearly demand more pictures and less talky talky.
    Too much awesome artwork hinted in these few shots you posted so far. Want more goodness :D

16. tocameelarcade

tocameelarcade Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    mega jump was one of my very first ipod games :,), so much fun and I dont think the freemium aspect of the game was intrusive, you can buy any power up in the game by playing, and that gives you an incentive to play this game over and over and over :D. Hoping to see how this new game turns out!

17. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I think it's all the environments and power-ups that make the game a bit too manic. (don't get me wrong, I do still like the game.) But I got the game when it was still 59p, and I was very happy to pay that for just the one environment and few (if any?) power-ups. For me, the extreme simpleness kept my interest. I find when I play it now, I end up only ever selecting the first level. I have nothing against IAPs either, if done well (yours seems reasonable) but I'd rather a flat fee like it was originally.

Mega Run does look cool so far, so I'll be sure to check it out on release :)

18. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    #78 Jxsgamer, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    s

@ nickcoombe: Freenium games are fine imo as long as the IAPs are not insane.
    Then, like you said, players can really have an option of whether they want to spend a long time with the game or blast through it quickly.

Edit:
    GetSet is releasing a new illustration of Mega run when their FB page reaches 1k.
    http://www.facebook.com/megarun <----- go like it.

19. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    In case you missed it!

[​IMG]

We're very close to completing development of Mega Run, and things are coming together nicely. In case you missed it, Touch Arcade posted a couple of preview pieces about Mega Run.

Mega Run preview video on Touch Arcade:

http://toucharcade.com/2012/03/26/new-gameplay-video-for-mega-run-surfaces/

Hands on with Mega Run at GDC 2012:

http://toucharcade.com/2012/03/08/gdc-2012-hands-on-with-mega-run-from-get-set-games/

More screenshots here: http://getsetgames.com/games/mega-run/

Some highlights of the game:

• Retina graphics
    • Universal app, with full support for iPad
    • One-touch gameplay - touch to jump
    • Mega Run is not an endless runner, it's a full-on platform game with stages
    • Multiple worlds and over 50 stages at launch
    • Mega Run will be freemium, just like Mega Jump
    • Mega Run will feature combo scores, XP awards and secret collectible items
    • Stages will have an element of randomization like Mega Jump, so it'll be different every time you play
    • There will be multiple characters to play with
    • We've added all kinds of enemies, including flying, bouncing and hiding enemies
    • Moving platforms, falling platforms, cannons, "bounce pads" and more
    • Some familiar powerups from Mega Jump, like the trusty Magnet and Fireball, as well as new ones, like Freezo and the Rocket Pack!

What do you think?

20. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Looks amazing! Can't wait.