Universal Front Wars (by Gregory Challant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    Hi guys, I'm the developer of Front Wars, I take good notes of your feedbacks, I'm going to fix theses.
    I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the fact the jeep can be unlocked with a Facebook Like. In fact I'm surprise that is such a big deal, many games out there do the same things. I saw this more like a bonus unit for those who like the game, it's not like I took money from your pocket (the game has no IAP) it's just a like to keep you up to date for futur update of the game. And if you don't like this feature you can just don't do it and not use the jeep, of course it's a cool unit but not having it doesn't unbalance the gameplay I think. Since I'm an indie with no advertising budget, it's hard to get noticed so I though it was a good feature...
    But what you think of the game is really important to me so if you guys all think that I should remove such functionality I'll consider it for sure.

2. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Hi madgreg.. Nice to hear from you and nice of you to consider those things.
    I'm hoping to get this game soon... Can i play axis in single player?

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Regarding the Facebook Like required for the Jeep:

No, a Facebook 'Like' isn't taking money from anyones pocket. But we like premium games around here. So if I buy a game for $3 - I expect a full game without the developer baiting players to do things like exiting the app to 'Like' the FB page. If someone likes your game enough and know you're on Facebook, they'll 'Like' the page on their own to show support.

Getting attention as an indie should be handled with care. If you show your fans/players respect with a quality product, they'll become quality/loyal fans. Consumable IAP is the worst offense, while withholding game content (even if minor) is a close second. $3 isn't a lot of money, but I spend it wisely.

I understand you want more visibility as an indie developer - but let your product show what you offer and separate the marketing from the game. There's plenty of free marketing that can be done without tainting the game play experience.

I'm very interested in this game, but I'll wait for more game play impressions before I buy.

4. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    There is no axis mission in the single player campaign for the moment, but you can play axis skirmish mode on the multiplayer maps against the AI or against other players.

5. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    This game looks quite well polished! I just bought it to support the dev. Will bring some impressions back as soon as I can play and try it out for myself! :)

6. @DE_Clements

@DE_Clements Active Member

Dec 7, 2013
    #26 @DE_Clements, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Yes, confirmed with dev (@FrontWars), there is a single player campaign as well. Bought and played it, looks and plays great so far. Tutorial was a bit glitchy on instruction text panels, but no biggie. Being as it just released, this will probably be addressed in first update.

7. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    ive already bought, but have yet to try it.

as for the facebook thing, the original advance wars was so popular due to it being like chess, where every unit has a job, and with the facebook integration "feature" a lot of people, me including, wont post any game related stuff on facebook so they will not be getting the full set of pieces. like playing chess with no rooks.

i might make a separate facebook account for gaming, if your game is worthwhile, but i cannot see very many people doing this.

keep in mind that i haven't even tried it out yet, but if its got the same units as advance wars, then not having the jeep, which was a very strategic piece for moving units around the map in the original. not having it is very game breaking, especially if the people that you are playing against do have it.

anyways, you already have my dollars so..

i'm just trying to make you more money, i know i have been waiting for an advance wars clone since the inception of iphone all those long years ago.

8. trescara

trescara New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I must also agree about disliking the Facebook interaction for a full game experience. I have a separate Facebook account solely for games like this. The horrible thing is that the developers expect more exposure from linking to Facebook and Twitter but in reality they recieve much less.

9. takaya

takaya Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    What about people complaining for the sake of it?

10. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Will buy to support an indie dev, got a few bucks to spare. However, I do not like the fact to "like" just to get a unit, especially when FB has privacy issues. With that being said, just a suggestion, maybe give the customer an option to "like" you on their own accord, more special that way because it shows you earned their "like" because of your hard work, not because of receiving a "unit".

11. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    That's disgusting. No thanks.

12. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    It's a terrible, terrible practice. People just want to enjoy a game, not be coerced into doing something, or be left with a lesser game when they refuse.

13. Nyx1978

Nyx1978 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2013
    So, is it just 1 unit that is unlocked through Facebook?

14. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Seems to be - however as someone else pointed out, this game is VERY closely modelled on Advance Wars and THAT game was incredibly well designed and balanced; taking a unit out of the equation quite likely has a negative affect on the balance.

Really hope this is changed in a future release.

The game is REALLY good and stands out on its own merits without coercing the player to promote it through Facebook. Shame.

15. soundshaper

soundshaper Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    It this is anywhere nearly as good as advance wars I'm buying this for sure! Waiting for impressions...
    I don't really like to have to "like" on Facebook to unlock a unit neither, I mean I don't even really like using Facebook at all. So Dev nowadays just consider that we all have Facebook accounts? It's sure not a big deal breaker for me but without this "obligation" (cos I sure do not want to miss out on a unit in a war game) I'd be sold right away! I want to support indie Dev especially the premium devs without IAPs ! like most console games, where you pay and you get a to play a game with no ads no IAPs! (Except of course for DLCs like new campaigns, maps, etc)
    I sure do hope that this Facebook thing will be "fixed" in the near future, like I said it it is anywhere nearly as good as advance wars? Wow I'm buying!

16. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    a dev rating his own product isn't really smart.

17. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Any detailed impressions / mini review / full review by anyone?

18. abodi

abodi Active Member

Feb 1, 2011
    The guy appears to have just ripped off advance wars, how
    Smart do you expect him to be.

19. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Ok...the game is really good...there is no other game so close to advance wars for iOS, and that is good, because i´m a huge fan of the AW series

Somethings i´d like;

ability to save
    icloud sync
    pinch to zoom (on the iphone, sometimes stuff is a little too small)

20. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Just bought this one as I absolutely love Advance Wars and have been longing for a clone to appear on the App Store.

Not sure how I feel about this Facebook "Like" thing; I can see it from both sides really, but it definitely appears to be putting a few people off buying the game which is a massive problem for the developer. Probably best to take it out, but it's a shame that you'll miss out on the first surge of buyers who may now overlook it based on this feature alone.