Universal Front Wars (by Gregory Challant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    This.

Add in the annoyance factor, and he's hurting himself. He would do well to remove that with his other fixes, show the community he cares about TA feedback, and ask for advice from the community about promotion.

2. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England

No save in game then?

3. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Exactly my opinion, and i happened to delete my Facebook account some time ago; i would buy this game straight away as i have spent several hours playing Advance Wars but i don't like to pay and be left without one of the pieces because i choose not to use Facebook.

4. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    Not sure why are people so mad about "Like" thing. Lots of games have that and you often get free stuff for it. I dont use Facebook but created account just for that.

5. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Yeah, let´s talk more about the game...i love the animations...really feels like AW

6. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    How is the AI in the campaign? I love AW, and if this is really a clone in a WW2 setting I'll buy it instantly, but the balance and AI needs to be there.

7. EngineeringYou

Jan 23, 2014
    Personal Review

I bought the game today since AW is one of my top 10 games ever. I bought a DS just for that game and its sequels. Actually ended up buying two DS’s before I phased out of my AW days. I was also addicted to the java app (which is probably still running). I’ve only played the first three campaign levels, and started a multiplayer game – so my 30 minutes playing may cause some user errors in my review below

Iphone4s:
    Good: Plays just like AW. Reason enough for me.
    Bad: - No way to zoom in and out of map. - Had 1 issue with a capture (10 infantry only captured at a rate of 8).- When unloading landers, do not get to unload 2 units in one turn, and cannot choose which to unload first (tank or infantry in my case). When the enemy is defeated by eliminating all units, you are not informed of victory until ending your turn (issue with fog of war or subs?). - Took multiple attempts for the “like on facebook” to unlock jeep. Jeep is just like the recon unit so it is VERY important in the game. – Multiplayer – only a few maps to select from so far, and only 1 is balanced (first turn advantage). - % Damage shown prior to engagement only reflects 100% attack, (e.g. 2 mech units show up as 105% attack on 10 jeep, but only do 1 damage.)
    Worst: - No way to turn off the animation sequences of battle, however you can hit ‘skip’ every time. – Cannot end my turn on my online multiplayer match. Hitting end turn doesn’t switch it to the other player, and when I exit and reenter, my moves are reset and it states it’s my turn still.

IPad Air-Same as above. Less issue with facebook link.

I am sure these are standard bugs on launch, and seem easy to address in update 1.

8. EngineeringYou

Jan 23, 2014
    Oh, and in MP, no options on fog of war (does it exist?) or limiting units (no mega tanks or whatever)

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Don't want to take anything away from this, but those that were big into advance wars (which seems to be a lot, and I'm just trying to help), are you aware of mecho wars right here on ios? Seems very similar again.

10. SpacePenguinBot

Nov 15, 2013
    Not buying it

I loved Advanced Wars and I have been hoping for a similar game for iOS for some time, but this looks like a straight up copy. That's annoying, though it doesn't offend me so much as it lowers my opinion of the developer.

But like I said, I loved Advanced Wars, so maybe I'm willing to look past that in order to play it on iOS. And $3 isn't so bad, even though it feels a little dirty to pay this dev and not Nintendo.

It's the Facebook like that pushes me over the edge into 'No Go' territory. You can rip off one of my favorite games, and you can even charge me for it, but forcing me to advertise it to my friends in order to unlock one of the units? Sorry, that's strike three.

11. EngineeringYou

Jan 23, 2014
    I was not. TY

12. EngineeringYou

Jan 23, 2014
    FB thing is no biggie, just set settings to post only to you. I know it's not the point - just an FYI

And Nintendo should create a iOS version. Open market for a great genre here. Surprising to me

13. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I don't think that's necessarily true - the app requires access to your personal details (email etc) and entire friends list. It's not about posting to your wall, it's about the other information that the application obtains access to that's the most uncomfortable aspect of this.

14. EngineeringYou

Jan 23, 2014
    I didn't know that. Privacy in FB says it has my email and posts only to me, nothing else accessed, but that doesn't make it true either

I don't know. I get flooded w candy crush notices from my friends so worst case - we're even.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Hard to argue with this view. Further still, It's a genre some people want on their idevice. If Nintendo turns a blind eye to porting it, then why not let an indie give us what we ultimately want. Or are we supposed to take the hard road and be disgusted that an indie dev (or even major), has brought us what we've wanted.

16. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Actually from the moment that I had owned a iphone and an ipad later on, I really would like to have an Advance Wars or better a Fire Emblem game. These are some of the finest turn-based strategy with pure awesome gameplay and they don't require a controller! They can be touch-friendly controlled. Moreover if we had a Fire Emblem in HD glory for the retina display of ipad3+, it would be fantastic. I hope they will change their mind in the future because they could port snes fire emblems for example with high-res graphics and better animation and the new ones to 3DS or any future Nintendo handheld. So everybody wins and the series are getting more attention and be known to lot of people and not just only most to the fans.

17. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Mecho Wars is decent...but i don´t like the weird theme...

18. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    LOL at people indignant over the sanctity of their Facebook Feeds.

You all must be on a different Facebook than I am. Mine is full of silly cat videos and pictures of people's kids, and once every few months Facebook fiddles with their permissions of who can see what without asking my OK at all.

Heaven forbid an indie developer ask me if he can exchange a little extra content for polluting my Facebook feed with an advertisement. Shame on him for even ASKING such a thing. ;)

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed, the weird look of Mecho Wars also turned me off.

Anyway, passing on Front Wars until the Facebook issue is removed. Even if not, lots of other premium games that doesn't require Facebook...

20. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I agree too!! I dislike the ugly creatures and the horrible terrain of it! Back to Front Wars..