Universal Front Wars (by Gregory Challant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    Hi, I'm the developer of Front Wars.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I didn't want to force anybody to connect to Facebook, nor to advertise! I just wanted to create a community around the game and I thought the Facebook page was a good way to do it. But I understand what you mean. So I decided to remove that functionality on the next version and the jeep will be available for everyone. You'll have to be patient for next update. I hope you will not hold a grudge on my game for this.

For those who are concerned by Facebook privacy stuff, the game will never post on your wall or things like that. It is just accessing your friend list to see who in your friends is playing the game so that you can play with them. Then it send you notifications (which you are the only one to see) to tell when it's your turn to play. It's not an intrusive facebook integration.
    If you don't like using Facebook you can use GameCenter instead, it's the same functionalities. I develop both multiplayer frameworks so the player can choose which one they prefer playing with!

It's really important to me that you are happy with the game, so I will continue to listen your remarks.

2. Nyx1978

Nyx1978 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Hi madgreg

Props for replying to all the issues and removing that Jeep/Facebook thingy!

3. icomma

icomma Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Someone else noted this earlier, but no one really caught it so I'm going to reiterate. The map featured in that splash screenshot is identical to a map in the first Advance Wars. I'm all for tributes and games inspired by other games, but this...this is just plain stealing in my book.

4. Naraka

Naraka Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Very impressive by developer to be checking in TA and then saying he will remove the Facebook/Jeep thing that seems to have taken over this thread.

Will be picking up soon, thanks for making & listening!

As to the complete AW rip off and the map being the EXACT same, isn't that what we want.. AW on iOS? And Nintendo sure isn't making it, so we are only left with someone to creatively steal it, so THANK YOU!

The only bad thing about it being such an exact AW ripoff is the Cease and Desist letter coming from nintendo and the game is removed from the app store....

However the more successful this game is the more it tells Nintendo that this is what we want. You want to change a companies policies/practices, nothing speaks like the almighty dollar.

5. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    @madreg, please please add pinch to zoom in the next update!

6. hatrick

hatrick Active Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Enjoying the game so far. The maps I've played so far (campaign) are definitely unique to this game, and the starting units are more in line with the "historical" units of the real battle being portrayed, instead of starting with the basics in AW and working up to the more advanced units.
    I agree there definitely needs to be a pinch zoom feature.

7. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    +1 here. Game looks great in my 5S but pinch to zoom would be great because everything does look small

8. EngineeringYou

Jan 23, 2014
    My GC is EngineeringYou

Add me to test some MP, auto match ain't working

9. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #69 badmanj, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Removed by poster

10. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    So all that happens when I click that button is my friends see 'Jamie likes Front Wars' and then I get the jeep? Nothing else is posted to my wall, ever, and nothing is sent to me, via email or any contact made with any of my friends without me or them initiating it as a game request?

If this is the case, I actually have NO problem with this at all.

My worry stemmed from the list of apparently intrusive information that Facebook informs me the app will receive.

If you simply make it clear that this is a way to allow you to play vs other Facebook friends and state no contact or posts will ever be made without your express permission, then I think this will do much to appease any concerns.

Jamie

11. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

#71 Oliver, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Asking for a FB account is like asking for Google+ to do some game specific things. And to unlock things is even worse. I don't have a FB account. I won't create on for this game. I won't buy the game. And if I would have bought the game I would expect a refund from Apple.

Thankfully an update will fix this. However, it feels awkward to even think about binding game features for already paying customers to an access to a social network which is not used by many people, especially here in Germany, due to privacy concerns.

12. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Please don't download this game. It's blatant plagiarism. The maps are exactly the same as the game boy version. It's just a direct clone. This sort of rip-off should not be rewarded. This dev needs to show some creativity and actually make something original. Hope it gets pulled soon.

13. toxiccheese

Mar 21, 2010
    Nope. The more successful this is, the more you encourage people to just rip-off someone else's hard work. Do not support this.

14. Dittsche

Dittsche Member

Dec 11, 2013
    and what is with gameloft? That is all the same. And this is most of the time "freemium". ;)

15. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    There have been several AW clones on different platforms, and while this one is closer to the original than the others, it's not as blatant as you say. The maps are different(aside from the one in the screenshot) and the way it ties to historical battles is a very nice touch. I'm only 3 missions in so far but I'm really enjoying it.

16. toxiccheese

Mar 21, 2010
    This is not about gameloft. This is about this game and it's blatant theft. Play it if you want I don't care. But I wouldn't give my money to this.

17. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    For people who have no idea what's going on...

Front Wars

[​IMG]

Advance Wars (GBA)

[​IMG]

Exactly the same thing.

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Wow... That's unfortunate. I haven't played AW in ages - but the developer not even creating their own layouts is unfortunate. I didn't realize this was a replica - I thought it was just similar.

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I was considering this game but I don't much like the FB like thing in a premium game.

I could have lived with the FB thing however I am worried that in light of the game using the same map layouts as Advanced Wars, what is the likelyhood if it getting pulled due to copyright, etc?

I'm reluctant to buy a game that might not benefit from updates do to blatant copying.

20. GenerallyEpic

GenerallyEpic New Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Seems a lot like Civilization... Is it worth it?