Universal Front Wars (by Gregory Challant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    Aside from this one map that I haven't gotten to yet, the others seen unique. And I've played the AW games before, albeit not for a while.

2. I hate all the FB stuff in games nowadays, won't buy this cause of it.

3. mcarthon

mcarthon Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Thi game is great I have no complaints. And there's only one level that's is the same. The very first level of the game. I don't see anyone posting any other maps and comparing them because they have no clue. If you play the game I'm about 4 maps in they are not in any way the same after the first.

People love to complain that's all. The most ignorant are always the loudest but there are very few of them so I wouldn't worry too much about all the silly complaints.

I have been searching for an advance wars type game since the iPhone/iPad released. If you liked AW I wouldn't bother with the few here complaining just download and enjoy it. I'm sure the dev will support this game heavily.

4. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    #84 nkarafo, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/attack-clone-front-wars-cribs-everything-advance-wars/

If you read this article and his answer, is not so bad after all !!
    He is trying to make a game similar to Advance Wars and not just a copy-paste..
    I think I will support him because he will remove this map and he will remove the facebook like. So, he listens to us and he's trying for the best.
    If we start flame him and trolling and boycott this game, we maybe never ever see a game like Advance Wars.

5. pdiddy972

pdiddy972 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    *Purchased*

6. pdiddy972

pdiddy972 Member

Jan 23, 2014
  7. mcarthon

Feb 21, 2009
  8. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Same.

I was holding out until the actual removal of the requirement to connect to Facebook to use the jeep (I do not have Facebook), but his polite explanation made sense. I'll just play without the jeep until the update hits.

9. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The fact that it is only one map is better than an entire game, but if he was able to make every other map different, then why copy this one? And worse yet, use it as a screenshot? Saying "well it's only one map that's the same, so it's no big deal"... That's like saying I robbed the bank and only took $100 of their millions. It's still theft.

I feel better knowing it's just one map. But it was enough to keep me from making the purchase. I would have assumed it was a complete copy because I would never have purchased it to begin with. This can only be a negative thing for the dev and lead to confusion. I'm betting that his next update will remove the offending map.

10. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Same. Sounds like the jeep issue was an error of judgement made in good faith and given that AW is one of my favorite series of games ever I'm prepared to take a punt on it. If it's only half as good then it's still money worth spent. I seem to remember importing at least one of the AW games for 60 quid the first time round just to get it sooner so this seems a bargain.

11. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    I just finished the Operation Overlord mission. It was excellent, if a little easy. Definitely don't remember an AW map like that. I love the historical element. Hoping it gets tougher as I progress through the campaign tho. Def worth the money so far. Great job.

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Somehow you've missed Mecho Wars then. It's well polished and clearly has plenty of originality to it.

As for Front Wars, it's a premium priced game that has FB integration to obtain a specific unit type. I don't care if a game is inspired by another game. My main beef is with FB integration in a premium priced game is lame and shouldn't exist. I'll take another look if the game receives an update removing FB.

Mecho Wars doesn't and it's only $.99.

13. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    FFS, now that the facebook thing seems to be over, people are bitching about one map being a copy of AW? Who cares...the game is GREAT...stop bitching

Mecho Wars is 0.99 NOW...when launched was also more expensive

14. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    You give the TA forum a bad name with comments like this. PT is high quality and well respected iOS site. Funny that you talk about PT for not "knowing all the facts".

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Nope. I personally bought it day 1 for $.99.

http://appshopper.com/games/mecho-wars-hd

16. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #96 earthclaw, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

I loved AW series. I took the plunge and bought Front Wars before it gets pulled for some violation of copyright? Same thing happened to Viking Lords. (Viking Lords borrowed to much from BattleLore) Wonder how much simularity there is before it violates copyright anyways?

17. mcarthon

Feb 21, 2009
    He's(pocket tactics)now apologized and admitted to making a mistake and jumping the gun with out doing any research himself. So I stand by what I said. And no one cares about mecho wars anymore dude if you care so much about it post something in that thread.

And if you can't like a page on Facebook that's your problem no one needs to hear you pouting about it. And I saw your comment on pocket tactics too. Saying the developer isn't very smart? Sound like a hater dude. If you don't like the game or want to play it, that's cool. Stop commenting about it so much...

18. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I love advance wars, a clone would be great..

..but, what? I have to use faecesbook to get a particular unit AFTER buying the game?

Deal breaker... I'm out.

19. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Owen at Pocket Tactics would not post something incorrect in order to get hits as you said. So again - bad form.

Anyone looking for game like AW that is good can also check out Mecho Wars. It's quite related actually.

And regarding the FB integration - It's a bad design choice. It's so bad, the developer decided to remove it.

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from... I suspect you're butt hurt that I (and many others) don't like the design choices the developer made. If we weren't interested in this game otherwise, we wouldn't be commenting in this thread.

20. mcarthon

Feb 21, 2009
    Well if I have bad form his is worse for posting an article blasting the game without doing the research himself. And your form is even worse Thea that by saying the dev isn't smart let's not try and forget about that comment.

I played mecho wars...like 5 years ago again let's leave that game out of this thread.

Haha funny I'm butt hurt but you're on here pouting about every reason why you won't buy the game. Lol

And to get back on topic it just took me 38 turns to finally beat operation dragoon. Anyone else have trouble with this mission? Seems the diffulcutly ramped up pretty quickly in that mission.