Universal Frost (Survival card game by Jerome Bodin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordGek, Sep 26, 2016.

1. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I've had this twice... not sure if it was supposed to happen or not. Great game Jerome - thanks! By the way if not cleared up the speech bubble on the priest is described in the instructions as 'a rare resource', I think!

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ouch! This ocurred in the Steam version as the result of some corruption with the idea cards (I think first a new idea card is dealt up top andvthen you get your hand). Hopefully that screenshot will give Jerome a clue.

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Any help?

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Me 3

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #85 LordGek, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Oh, sorry, I think Jerome called it "Negotiation" or something, a wondrous resource that can be used in some nasty events (some events will let you talk your way out, as it were) and it can even be used with some of the friendly trader events. Eventually you will unlock many events and ideas based around this.

6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Thank you. Fortunately, I rarely "die" due to "blood loss".

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You'll eventually have ways to produce that resource without poking yourself. Self poking just seems to be 1 of the primary means to bring about various leaders abilities.

8. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Never thought about this until now. Thanks!

9. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    The first time I played a scenario (Leader) I didn't think I'd ever beat it... but a few games later, bam! Made it. Barely.

It would be nice if there was a notebook or something to see all the cards you have unlocked so far. Though if the dev spends time on anything it should be on bug fixes:) I hit another fun one. After using a card with a chance at food rolled Nothing, the nothing cloud dissipated and took the region card with it! If I didn't so enjoy the game otherwise the bugs might bother me more.

Back to playing...

Attached Files:

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    And, just confirming, it happened to me again for a different objective.

After quitting and loading the game to continue, the objective tracking no longer updates. I had the objective to defeat X enemies, and they were being tracked correctly before saving and reloading, but after reloading it was just stuck.

Please look into that - other than that, great game indeed! :)

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Update just dropped!

v1.13.1

-Added screen rotation
    -Added ability to check discard pile
    -Fixed a couple of minor issues (I guess we'll see which other bits were fixed for ourselves)

12. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks for heads up =]

13. JeromeBodin

JeromeBodin New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Hi guys!
    Thanks a lot for your support and the bug reports. I'll try to track and work on those next week to deliver another update asap!

14. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Thanks Jerome for the quick update.

Indeed, just wanted to give the heads up that the save/restore objective tracking bug still persists - at least for the fight/rest/look to the frost objectives.

Also, I had one rare instance of zooming in on an idea card and having the other one disappear on me. It was just once, at the start of the game. Nothing extremely serious, but worth checking. :)

What a great game, though, really fun!

Have a great weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. misterK

misterK Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Is there a way to save your game to return to it later?
    I walked away from my iPad to eat dinner and opened the game again and it rebooted. Happened twice now

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Odd. The game does save your current point automatcally BUT there are currently some issues with save games (just look at pjft's last post).

17. misterK

misterK Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Bug report and a question:
    I just completed my first game on easy, without taking any damage. After the game finished the screen went white and then the game crashed.

The question: what happens after you win your first time? Do you unlock new cards? Do you gain a scenario? Do you get any achievements (damage free)? Cause I'm assuming that the crash didn't allow the game to record that as a completed game.

Thanks

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #98 LordGek, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Probably. There is a big delay often after winning or losing with a solid white screen (which I'll admit almost looks unintentional or in error) before your new unlocks are shown, and sadly, if you miss it I don't know of any way to reshow it.

As far as I know there are no achievements in the iOS version yet (since they exist in the Steam version, they'll likely get added eventually), and even then, I think unlocks are just based on numbers of games played with winning games unlocking stuff a little quicker (lose enough times and you'll still unlock all of the new cards and scenarios). The one exception is with the scenarios, you can only unlock the characters for use in the main Classic game mode if you actually clear their corresponding scenario.

I can only hope the crash was after the stuff got added (even if you didn't get to see it). :(

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I know you can explicitly save the game from the menu, by selecting "Leave game" or similarly-titled option, and then resume from the menu. That's what I've been using.

I have not dared yet to leave the game to be kicked out of memory by the OS, but I would expect it to work the same. If it currently doesn't, it probably should :)

20. misterK

misterK Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Thanks, that makes sense. I was in the middle of a decent game and was nervous about the possibility of "Leave Game" meaning I'd lose my game.
    Thank you for the feedback, and thank you LordGek for all the feedback as well