iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Devs said they weren't supporting iPhones due to screen size. In the iPad mini it was quite playable, albeit the screen being a bit small, according to several posts. I guess ip6+ might be just enough to make the game playable, but I'm not sure about ip6, so my guess is that it won't be updated for ip6. This is my guess though.

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    All I can say is I have my ways, and the text is super small on an iph6+ unfortunately. Perhaps it could be optimised. It looks like it's playable (just had a look around so far), but yeh super tiny text.

*google how to get hearthstone on a phone.

3. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Awesome game. Still haven't beaten it on easy. Maybe I'm an idiot. #

4. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    You're not an idiot, you're a novice. I felt like you for many weeks ;)

This is theory brought to practise :) it's the main argument given by devs for not porting to iPhone, only iPad.

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    This game would be playable on iPhone for sure if optimised for it. I'm looking at it right now on 6+. I said the text is tiny right now, but had they developed the other way around for iPhone instead of iPad then for sure they could've worked the text and icons better.

Granted it's a solid reason not to want to convert over to universal. It would require a lot of work to re-do in this instance. But many devs have managed it in the past.

Having said all this, I am on a 6+. IT would be no easy task to get this onto the 5 screen or maybe even the 6. 6+ just needs everything to be about one maybe two font sizes larger.

Reminds me, I can't believe I used to use my 5 and before that a 4 and 3 for gaming. Lol, they're now so tiny. It's funny what becomes normal given time.

6. triperus

triperus Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Mozambique
    Great game on iphone 5s, if you liked XCom on the phone and then FTL also possible to adjust (the text is really too small) .In Always adapts version only ipad to iphone, for fun. (Sorry for my english)

7. chrisb3

chrisb3 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I asked once via email and was told no. But I really think this would play great on the 6+.

Hopefully they'll change their minds.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #568 VirtualBoyFreak, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Bearing in mind that the game was originally designed for PC, that devs prefer developing for PC and that they were never really too keen on developing for tablets nor phones, I believe we can be happy for having an iPad version. I can't remember where I read it, but there's a great interview to the devs where they talk a lot about the game and future developments. Maybe you can google it.

I got the same reply, and they came to say that they had enough developing FTL for the iPad, to get to port it for the iPhone. They even tweaked the game to get it perfect in the iPad: the zoom of your ship or enemy (to see the interior better) is not present in the PC version.

9. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    #569 jesse_dylan, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    I deleted this game in rage last night. Sad to see my achievements and unlocks are deleted too. Oh well.

After countless hours playing this on PC and iPad, it is probably time for me to quit anyway. I hate the feeling of spending hours on a run and making a silly mistake or having some bad luck in the last sector and getting obliterated.

Time seems to just disappear when I'm playing this game anyway, and I need my life back. :) So much fun when things are going well, but I guess I'm not good enough of a person to still enjoy it when things are going poorly! Just sucks to die and think, "Wow, all those hours spent on a run and nothing to show for it." Guess I'm one of those people who needs a gold star.

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Have you ever won a game? I'm still looking for my first victory. :eek:

11. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Yep! I've played a ton ton ton and won quite a few games on easy. I wouldn't dare attempt normal or medium or whatever it is. Just turning on Advanced Mode made it a lot harder, frankly.

I thought I'd gotten decent enough that I wouldn't really lose on Easy anymore without some bad luck, but I just get too pissed and sad when I lose to bother anymore.

12. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    How well does FTL play on an iPad 3?

13. himuradrew

himuradrew Member

Nov 24, 2014
    I played it on my iPad 2 with no problems whatsoever so you should be good :)

14. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Fantastic. iPad 3 iOS 7.1.2 here, no problems whatsoever.

15. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Just purchased this and will get time to play over the holidays as I'm away and off work. Hopefully I'll like it! But so many positive comments for it everywhere. I'm not generally all that interested in rougelike games but a little more so when they have something consistent that persists or can be upgraded through playthroughs.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Don't worry, there are around 26 ship hulls to unlock. You can focus on doing different things every playthrough and play for months ;)

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Months! That sounds good. I have so so many games I'm playing regular at the minute and the list just keeps getting bigger.

Thankfully I'm not addicted to any of those stupid timer or grinding games right now so I can actually play real games all of the time!

18. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    #578 drmad, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    Bought FTL half the price
    Just start the games today and get hooked since
    What the advance edition bring?
    Is it like a hard mode?

Will this app worked with the 6 plus?

Run very well on 1st gen ipad mini
    The gameplay is surprisingly satisfyingand the graphic is okay

19. Hawkeye67

Hawkeye67 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I have a couple of questions for someone who plays FTL.

1. How long does a typical game last? Is it possible to continue a paused game a day later?

2. If you want to be good at the game, is it necessary to read online guides or can merely playing the game teach you everything, including figuring out strategy?

Thanks for any answers!

20. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    A successful run can be 90-120 minutes. There is an option to continue a saved game at any time.

As for strategy and learning, on easy mode you can dive in and learn the game while still doing reasonably well. You might earn a win within your first 5 or so tries, especially if you go with vanilla instead of AE content. However, in normal you will need to know most of the mechanics of the game to succeed.