iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    On easy it is still hard as hell
    Preparer to die
    A lot...

But i dunno why every playthrough feels different and fun :D

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Finally got time to try the game and really enjoying it. On my second run and doing much better due to luck with a weapon I found. Started the game and about 3 hours later still playing but should get some sleep now.

So how much harder is normal? What's the advance mode too?

3. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    have you even beat the game on easy?
    i would not try normal before i conquer the easy mode

advance mode add new race, new quest new weapons,new subsystem (clone,mindcontrol,etc) etc
    but me myself prefer playin the vanilla version so i would know the difference

CMIIW i just bought FTL 2 days ago :p

4. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    No I've only done 2 plays, just finished my second and made it to the final flagship battle, very nearly won but just couldn't do it. I won't try normal for a while yet.

So is anyone able to tell me if the advance mode is harder or just that there's more?

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Advance mode is harder in some ways as the enemy ships will have the hacking, mind control systems and you might run into the Lanius who can be very annoying to fight since they like to board and can't be dealt via airlock tactics. The flagship also has the new systems, so it's slightly tougher.

6. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I think I'll give that a miss until I'm much better then. What do you usually do ship wise? Do you use each until you've unlocked its achievements like on the kestrel or use what you unlock as soon as it's there? Just unlocked my first that comes with an ion weapon and attack drone but can't remember it's name.

7. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I generally stuck to the ship I had most success with, unless I needed to use a different ship to unlock new layouts. In AE you can also unlock ships by going through the ship unlock tree instead of through story events, so there's also that incentive for using more ships.

8. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I've just bought this and I'm playing on an air 2 latest iOS and I've got very intermittent sound. Maybe one out of five attempts to open the app opens it with any sound at all. All other apps closed, done a restart etc.

I've read there were earlier sound issues with the game but I thought they'd been fixed. Anyone else having any issues??

9. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Anyone got a tip for ship upgrading and strategy how to beat the flagship boss?
    i always got my as kicked there....

Shieldx4,enginex5,upgraded blast door,Teleporter
    hull missiles,beam weapon II,and heavy laser II
    im still losing..

What did i do wrong :(

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I've been playing for months on easy without a single victory. #

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I've been playing for months on easy (Advanced mode) without a single victory. #

12. rmlinden

rmlinden Active Member

Nov 10, 2010
    The mothership has 4 main weapons and additional room-based weapons (mindcontrol, drones)
    The mothership has a number of phases. When you destroy the mothership it will transition into another phase with a total of 3 phases. Destroying the phase 1 ship will lead to the permanent destruction of the left most weapon. Destroying the second phase will lead to the permanent destruction of the right most weapon. This means that in all phases there will be at least an ion charge weapon and a 3-shot missile weapon.

Destroying the missile weapon is PRIORITY as your shield can survive the other weapons.

Also important to understand is that each weapon room is separated from all other rooms AND there is 1 human stationed in each weapon room (able to repair the weapon). Since destroying the missle weapon is prio it means that it is wise to take out the human stationed in the room so that the weapon will be down for the entire remainder of the phase. When the mothership transitions from 1 phase to another all systems will be repaired .. but death of crewmembers is permanent... killing the dude in the missleroom is important for this reason.

The mothership has normal shield which will allow for missleweapons, hacking tools and mindcontroll to function as normal ... but in phase 3 there will be a zoltan shield that needs to be taken down first (unless you have zoltan bypass).

I use mindcontroll on the dude in the missle room.. he will take out the missle singlehandidly. DO NOT USE HACKING on the missile room.

If you have hacking, then you take out the shields. When the shields are down to 1 level or less, then you shoot out the missles. Once those are down you might want to proceed to the other damage dealing rooms. Beam weapon (right most) is prio after the missile room. IF You have the chance to kill the dude in the missile room, then do so.

If you have cloaking, then save it till the missle room fires.. hit the cloak and you should dodge the misiles.

Prio is that one room.

After you take out the missle room, you kill the dude in that room. After that it's just shield and then take turns at the weapon rooms.

You want to focus on abilities that can pass through shields or that take down shields very quickly.

= if you can get weapon pre-igniter then get it.. sell equipment if you have to
    = FLAK II is amazing for taking down the shield. Just queue it up and follow it up with direct damage on the shields.
    = Cloaking is a near must. You use it when you burst down the shields room.. hit it when the missiles fire.
    = mindcontroll is great for taking out separate rooms, but also for preventing the repair of a damaged room (enemies will first attack the mindcontroll target before repairing a room). You MC the dude in the missle room. Once that room is down (and dude is dead) then you use it on other rooms as well.
    = hacking is equally powerful (compared to mindcontroll), byt you use it on the shields room.
    = burst lazer 2 and up is good to have. When you go for lazer based weapons, then you need to have at least 6 shots per cycle in order to burn down the shields.

once the missile room is down, then you use your cloaking for the "powersurge detected"

My average loadout.
    -3-4 shields
    - engines 4
    -cloaking
    -pre-ignite when i can get it
    -ion charge 2 (the 4 seconds per ion shot)
    -burst lasers
    -rarely a beam weapon, but if i use it, then i need to have stuff that burns the shields fast (flak, enough lasers)
    - mindcontroll/hacking level 3

... oh yeah .. if you have teleporters .. take out the weapon rooms. Once those rooms are down, then the fight is easy.

13. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Wow, appreciate this man :)

14. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    yep,many thanks for the beginners guide :)

15. chk1975

chk1975 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Wow what an amazing game. Been playing non stop for the last three days.
    Just had my first victory on easy.
    People saying it is all luck based don't know what they are doing yes some luck is sometimes helping but most of the times you lose it is because of several small mistakes which finally get the best of you.
    Now gonna try to beat it on normal.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Good luck with normal. You'll love it when
    you get to the last ship and discover that the weapon rooms are communicated with corridors and all the strategies you learnt are useless...
    :D

17. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    That is only
    true for hard mode.

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I think
    normal mode also has them communicated,
    but now you make me doubt… I'll have to play again to check it :D

19. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Love the game; especially how hard it is (it took me months to beat the original Rogue on my C64). I can see why people say that luck plays a part. Skill can get you to the last stand no matter what you find on the way, but without some great equipment drops, you'll never get past phase 2 of the boss. There's simply not enough scrap to buy everything you need.

20. hylang

hylang Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Give me pocket version!