Future of iOS gaming: Vita and 3DS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by drez, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Who wants devices that are unitaskers? Not enough people watch Good Eats.

2. Liam2010

Liam2010 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Ps Vita Game Developers so far

Full 3rd Party Developer List for PS Vita
    Posted by john_gilbert on Monday, June 06 @ 21:35:02 PDT

Sony has just unveiled the PSVita at the E3 press conference. However, they did not focus on any 3rd party games/developers for the device. Although there was minimal highlighting for 3rd party developers during the conferences, Sony still has a good lineup of developers who will be supporting the PSVita. The most notable are Square Enix, Capcom, Konami, EA, and Rockstar.

The majority of developers are (predictably) coming from Japan, but North America and Europe are also making major contributions.

Japan Developer:

- HAMSTER Corporation
    - TGL
    - HUNEX CO., LTD.
    - TOMY Company, Ltd.
    - IDEA FACTORY CO., LTD.
    - TOSE CO., LTD.
    - Ignition Entertainment Ltd.
    - tri-Ace Inc.
    - IMAGICA DIGITALSCAPE Co., Ltd.
    - Ubisoft K.K.
    - Index Corporation (Atlus)
    - Views Co., Ltd.
    - IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.
    - YUKE'S Co., Ltd
    - ACQUIRE Corp.
    - Jorudan Co., Ltd.
    - ALPHA・UNIT CO.,LTD
    - KADOKAWA GAMES, LTD.
    - ALVION Inc.
    - Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd.
    - AQ INTERACTIVE INC.
    - KAGA CREATE CO., LTD - AQUAPLUS Co., Ltd
    - Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
    - ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
    - LEVEL-5 Inc.
    - ARIKA CO., LTD.
    - MAGES Inc. (5pb)
    - ARTDINK CORPORATION
    - Mainichi Communications Inc.
    - ASCII MEDIA WORKS Inc.
    - Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
    - ASGARD Co., Ltd.
    - media5 Corporation
    - Aspect Co., Ltd.
    - NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
    - BROCCOLI Co., Ltd.
    - Nihon Falcom Corporation
    - Capcom Co., Ltd.
    - Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
    - CHUN SOFT CO., Ltd
    - NOWPRODUCTION, CO., LTD
    - Codemasters Software Company Limited
    - Oaks co., Ltd.
    - Crafts & Meister Co., Ltd.
    - PAON CORPORATION
    - CyberConnect2 Co., Ltd.
    - POLYGON MAGIC, INC.
    - CYBERFRONT Corporation
    - PROTOTYPE CO., LTD.
    - D3 PUBLISHER Inc.
    - Q Entertainment Inc.
    - DIGITAL WORKS ENTERTAINMENT INC.
    - SAFARI GAMES., Ltd
    - Dimps Corporation
    - SEGA CORPORATION
    - dorasu corporation
    - SilverStarJapan Co., Ltd.
    - Edia Co., Ltd.
    - SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION
    - ENTERBRAIN, INC.
    - Sonic Powered co., Ltd.
    - FromSoftware, Inc.
    - Spike Co., Ltd
    - Gameloft K.K.
    - SQUARE ENIX Co., Ltd.
    - GANBARION Co., Ltd.
    - Starfish-SD Inc.
    - Genki Co., Ltd.
    - SUNCORPORATION
    - Grasshopper Manufacture Inc.
    - SystemPrisma Co., Ltd.
    - GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc.
    - SystemSoft Alpha Corp.
    - GUST CO., LTD.
    - TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.

North America Developer:

- THQ
    - Epic Games Inc.
    - Trendy Entertainment
    - Far Sight Studios
    - Ubisoft®
    - Frima
    - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
    - High Voltage Software
    - 2K Games
    - Kung Fu Factory
    - 2K Sports
    - Activision, Inc.
    - Paramount Digital Entertainment
    - Capybara Games
    - PopCap Games
    - "CCP"
    - Powerhead Games
    - Demiurge Studios
    - Rockster Games
    - Electronic Arts

Europe/Pacific Region Developer:

- Eurocom Entertainment Software
    - Stainless Games Ltd
    - Eutechnyx Ltd
    - StormBASIC Games
    - Exient
    - Sumo Digital Ltd
    - Firelight Tech
    - Tag Games
    - Fresh3D
    - Take2
    - FUN labs
    - The Game Atelier
    - Gameloft SA
    - THQ
    - Gameshastra
    - Tonika Games
    - Home Entertainment Suppliers PTY Ltd
    - Trine Entertainment Ltd
    - Honeyslug
    - Trinigy
    - Icon Games
    - Tru Blu Games
    - Impromptu Software Ltd
    - Ubisoft Entertainment SA
    - Just Add Water Ltd
    - Umbra
    - Kuju Doublesix
    - VeeMee
    - Lexis Numerique
    - ZAPPAR
    - Mobile Interactive Group Ltd
    - Zen Studios Ltd
    - Namco Bandai
    - NaturalMotion
    - 505 Games
    - Playerthree Ltd
    - Alawar
    - Beatshpers
    - Allegorithmic, makers of Substance
    - Blitz Games Studios
    - Beatnik Games
    - Broadsword Publishing Limited
    - Catalyst Outsourcing
    - Rebellion®
    - "CCP"
    - Rockstar Games
    - Climax Studios Ltd
    - Rubicon Mobile
    - Codemasters®
    - Sanuk Games
    - Codeplay
    - SEGA
    - Electronic Arts
    - Sidhe Interactive
    - Enigma Software Productions, SL
    - Spinvector

3. spartanmastah

spartanmastah Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    My iPhone 4 is Way More powerful then the 3DS, And in a Very short Time iOS devices will soon overtake PS Vita aswell.

Since Sony apparently Cut PS Vita's RAM to 256MBs, Which means the iPad 2 now has much more RAM then the PS Vita does, at 512MBs, It's just a matter of time really.

Also, the Reason why there aren't many Hardcore games is because Apple Really isn't Pushing Gaming on the iPhone, and the App store really isn't organised with a "Premium games" or "AAA games" section.

4. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    No doubt the NGP and 3DS will have more and better "core" games, but the good news for iOS gamers is that these games might be ported to iOS and sold for cheap.

5. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    #25 injuwarrior, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
    Actually in my opinion, that is the bad news. These ports often and quite easily lose something very essential to the game in the process, be it controls or something else. That is why even with full content, a game can feel watered-down. We need AAA games that are made for the iphone, and then maybe ported over to other platforms (not Android) to truly become a premiere gaming platform. Even if I cannot afford them at release, I would almost enjoy the process of saving up my itunes credits and cash to finally grab this brand new call of duty game made with touch controls in mind and a full fledged campaign (and throw in all the extras). Now that is going to be on my ipod for a while, easily worth the 20-30 bucks they choose to charge. Infinity Blade was very well calculated. No one had done that yet. They said, lets bring a unique game made specifically for idevices from a pretty big company in gaming. They had 6 months of hype, and still now over a year of being the only one that did this (correct me if I am wrong). They stand out because of that, and not because they maintain a top (x) chart position. The problem is, bigger companies need more to justify releasing a platform specific game. They need the hype, the features, the reviews, the chart position, the cult following, etc. They are guaranteed that on other platforms, not the appstore. I truly believe a premium appstore section would be the biggest step in the right direction. Some of the quality ports and games that have made it through in the last year have proven one thing, lack of buttons is not the major obstacle. The appstore mentality is. And without the Apple' support, that ain't gonna change.

6. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    I think that the 3DS and Vita will survive and sell well (well maybe not Vita, Sony are selling it at a loss to compete with the 3DS). They're both dedicated gaming handhelds and all of the major game developers will be releasing their games for them. Very few big developers take the iPhone seriously for gaming. The iPhone is great for indie games and quick pick-up-and-play games, but any serious gamer will likely pick up a 3DS or Vita just for the choice of games that they have. Hit Nintendo and Sony franchises will never be coming to iOS, and most games won't settle for cheap knockoffs.

Saying the iPhone is more powerful than the 3DS is bull, as games are being released on the 3DS that are way better technically than anything on the iPhone. The iPhone just has too many limitations. The 3DS has actual physical buttons and while the 3DS may be stuck with physical media, this is also a plus because the 3DS cartridges can hold a lot more data than any developer would dare release a game for on the iPhone (the 3DS carts are said to hold up to 8GB, while there are very few iOS games that hit even the 1GB mark). Sure future iPhone revisions will eventually overtake the 3DS and Vita, but not many people are willing to spend another $250+ on a new iTouch/iPhone model every year. Buying a 3DS or Vita will have you set for the next 5 years, while some games on iOS won't even work on iTouch/iPhone revisions just 2 years old. The iPhone is still a pretty good gaming device, just not as good as the 3DS or Vita.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Are these facts or completely based off of your opinions and situation in life? You need to do some research.

8. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    The more I think of it, the more I believe there is only one real option for iOS turning into a platform that has the sort of bigger budget titles many of us are wishing for. That solution is a premium shop, like many others have mentioned. I just don't see any other way where it makes sense financially for major devs to waste their time providing us with more than watered down "companion" games to home console releases or watered down versions of big franchises.

I don't think this will ever happen, because I doubt Apple gives a crap, but I think this solution could work.

1.) Leave the app store as is with the same pricing and approval process. The app store is a great place for indies and casual games that appeal to non gamers.

2.) Create a premium store that is fully featured and marketed by Apple front and center. The following aspects would be required

3.) There has to be an approval process, similar to what MS and co do to determine what games come out on consoles. This will filter out all of the garbage and casual game sthat need to stay at low price points to survive. Those can stay on the App store as is.

4.) There needs to be a pricing standard for the premium shop similar to how consoles work. I do think a price drop compared to 3DS and Vita are in order due to the lack of physical media or the need for devs/publishers to spend tons of money on physical packaging/burning media/distribution to retailers. Maybe have 2-3 entry price points between say $15-35.

5.) There needs to be some sort of rule or standard on price reductions. They need to be similar to console pricing. After sales drop by a certain amount or the game has been out a certain length of time, standard price drops occur. The long term minimum could be maybe $10-15.

6.) Sales can occur like you'd see at a retail store, but they need to be controlled. There can be no drastic drops that undermind the entire premium shop. Devs need to be assured they will get a fair price for a higher quality/big budget title.

I know people will think this is nuts or too controlling, but it's the only way it will work. Otherwise, devs aren't going to waste their time providing us with a steady flow of deep top quality titles that rival what you get on the portables. Of course this is a pipe dream, but I do believe if this did happen, iOS could turn into a major force in gaming.

9. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Another thing needed is a device that will be able to play those "premium" games for a good span of time. Say more than just a couple of years.

10. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I think adding a "Premium Games" category to the app store will solve the problem.. :p

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Who needs AAA games when small, innovative indie games are making Apple and the devs a ton of money and becoming cultural phenomenons? The games on the App Store are different to console games, but the public are embracing it. There's no problem here at all.

12. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    It is for people who want this platform to evolve past garbage like Angry Birds being the face of the platform. This platform has so much potential and it's irritating to see mostly cheap casual stuff top the sales lists. Some of us want deep immersive full game experiences.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Then you're on the wrong device and the wrong forum, what you're looking for isn't here. If you want 3DS-like games, you buy a 3DS. If you want Vita-like games, you buy a Vita. You should have known when you bought your iOS device you'd be getting App Store games, because that is what it plays.

14. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    it's funny cause you said iphone is less powerful, but tried to prove that with physical buttons and cartridges, as well as longevity. nice try.

15. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    #35 injuwarrior, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    My key point is: to become a premiere gaming platform. I agree with you that what we have now is special, and i would never want to gain AAA titles at the expense of those who made the platform what it is, the indie and start up devs. But if the right steps are taken, I believe a balance could be found. If you have games from EA, Activision, or whomever selling consistently at 30 and dropping rarely below 20, the mentality starts to change. A 2-10 dollar indie game does not look nearly as expensive now. Who knows, even if AAA tiles makes it to ios, we may not see much change to the market. But to me, it honestly seems like it would not hurt the indie devs that are churning out the quality, and innovative games. Essentially, the appstore needs to show the consumers where the quality is, because the mass of consumers right now cannot tell (but not everyone has TA so a few screenshots and a description is not much for the people who never care to research a game before buying). An apple feature is the only reliable representation of quality to those people right now(shout out to all the misleading screenshots that have caused distrust in those too) , and there just needs to be more than that, something the lasts well beyond a week. Enter appstore with quality based sections that divide things up based on quality and price.

16. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Why cant we have both? Keep all the casual games, i just want more options.

17. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

No, we are not on the wrong device or the wrong forum. The Devices (all of them, iDevices, the 3DS and the Vita) are capable of playing both casual and hardcore games. There are both casual and hardcore games on these devices. These casual and hardcore games (on iDevices) get discussed on this forum.

So no, we are not using the wrong device and aren't on the wrong forum.

The AppStore offers both types of games (The Vita and 3DS look like they do so too, from what I have seen.).

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #38 backtothis, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    We're getting there. We have a ton more casual games than quality "hardcore" titles, but our list of "AAA" game is growing. People may consider Gameloft's games to be poor ripoffs, but that's only because they play console games regularly. Some people like me play portables 90% of the time for their gaming fix though. Have you played a FPS on a PSP or DS. Holy f**k.now that is what you call a piece of shit. Gameloft's titles outclass them in every way besides graphics. Also, Dead Space is hands down the best shooter I've played on any kind of portable gaming device since I had a Game Boy Pocket. Even the controls..You want buttons? Really? How well do FPS work on the PSP and DS again? Complete trash? Oh wait..

I just don't like/understand how the iOS is always compared to consoles that require a damn television and sofa to play. If you're going to make comparisons, do it correctly at least. Compared to other handhelds today, the iOS is beyond competent. Anyone who's played "AAA" titles on an iPad 2 would tell you the same no matter how many quality titles they've played on the DS or PSP.

But yeah, a premium store would be nice as long as it's regulated properly by Apple. We might be years away from getting one though..

19. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I think the idea of a Premium Games section in the App Store is good.

iOS is becoming, more and more, a recognized gaming platform. Eventually the options will expand as the market does. Apple is very, very slow toward gaming, but they will be dragged kicking and screaming along, as the market's demands change.

Some people here are just short-sighted, but as with all things, the platform will evolve past them, before they even notice.

20. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Okay, I will admit those weren't the best examples, but they still prove to be major drawbacks for the iPhone platform. Couple that with the short battery life while playing heavy games (3 hours max sometimes) and that most of the RAM is busy running the OS and other backgrounded stuff (on my 4G iTouch I'm usually left with 140MB of RAM). The 3DS was made to play games, while the iPhone was set up as a multitasking machine.