Galactic Keep by Gilded Skull Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boynamedluke

boynamedluke Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Ability

Special Ability:

Half a Mind's Eye

Chance to control the next move of your opponent, but also a chance you may forget your own next move...

2. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

One weapon and one special created:

[​IMG]

We've played with both and balanced them somewhat for a low to mid level mission on a 'Balthwot Hunter' and 'Robot Coalition (member)'. On the robot, we also created 'Confusion Resonance' as a special attack:

touch enemy: if (1d10+INT)>17, enemy -25 DAM (confusion) for 2 turns

By the way, the 'Pixie Launcher' ended up being pretty powerful so we made it a 'special attack' instead of a weapon (special attacks are limited to between 1-4 attacks per battle max, depending on the character's level).

A few other good attacks/specials thus far, keep 'em coming! We'll test out a bunch (over the coming days) and decide on two more of each.

3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    awesome! [​IMG]

I will have to see if I can think of any more ideas...

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Weapon

VeganTnT
    A plant based life form, resembling a purple carrot, grown and cultivated into the perfect weapon. Perfectly edible until you remove the leafy greens which starts a violent chemical reaction. Once the reaction is complete it causes a mild concussive force and releases a noxious gas which causes paralysis and may poison an enemy upon inhalation.

Pack more rations, or pack more grenades? Why not do both!

5. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Arachnia's Net - shoots out a nearly invisible monofilament net of exceptional strength capable of trapping multiple foes under its strands. Trapped foes must make a Strength check to break free. Could either be in a grenade or gun format.

6. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I really like this idea, but I think it should have a taste like candy and saliva would trigger the "badness". Think of how cool that would be - lure the enemy in with the enticement of a treat, only to kill them with their own temptations. Talk about sinful sweets :)

7. travisdunn

travisdunn Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Developer
    Amsterdam, NL
    Galactic Keep looks excellent, and pretty much touches all my major old-school pressure points. What a natural fit you've made with the iPhone UI as well, and bonus points for the sci-fi theme.

8. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #68 Devilishly Good, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    Another weapon idea...I remember there will be robots in the game...

Armed Arm - robot gets into melee with an opponent and makes a grapple attack with opponent, if successful, the Armed Arm grasps the opponent and unattaches from the robot. The Armed Arm is now activated and it's full of powerful explosive that will go off after 3 rounds giving the robot time to move away out of the blast radius. Grasped opponent will have to make a pretty hard STR check to remove the arm.

Robot will be without a second arm until it gets replaced.

9. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Weapon: Smidgenizer
    A gun with a big barrel that shoots a big sticky smidgen(blob) of a sticky substance, that causes the victim to be stuck in one place, and also causes minimal damage.

10. gildedskull

The net idea is a cool one, we have a 'tangler' weapon that we're testing as a special attack. We like the veganTNT too. There are no 'rations' in the game at the moment though...but the player could potentially choose to use it to replenish health or to use as a weapon.

The ability to draw an enemy in to attack/trap them is a great addition (making the weapon usable on the map instead of just in battle). I'd have to confirm if that's possible in our present game configuration. If that's something that's asked for enough and there's interest in it, it could certainly be possible.

We like the 'Armed Arm' and have been working on several types of attacks like this for a couple of the species in the game. The big (actually huge) drawback is replacing the arm...but that's part of the fun. You'd actually need to find another arm (or take one from a dead enemy) somewhere in the game/mission which is possible but could be problematic. In the meantime, the character would have a pretty big -STR modifier.

Could be interesting to play like that though. The 'risk vs. reward' choice seems plausible: kill a strong enemy (almost instantly) in one shot and have to walk around for the rest of the mission (and maybe the next mission) without an arm.

Some Gharsos (which are a ghost-like hive-mind cluster of cells) will be able to propel collected weapons/explosives that are parts of their bodies at enemies...but once they are out of stuff, they are (more or less) just a cloud of gas and have a very weak attack.

...still deciding the next ones to pick!

11. gildedskull

Next up:

[​IMG]

In Galactic Keep, you will have a limited number of special attacks (you start with one and get a second at level 9, another at level 18) so what we've been doing is giving the specials a prolonged attack (that lasts at least an additional turn or two.

With 'Half a Mind's Eye', we decided against a 'prolonged attack' as you can use your enemies special which could be prolonged attack...and this could make things confusing.

(NOTE: Conceptually, in this universe, there's no 'magic' or telepathy etc. so that's why we've made this is a weapon. You're still controlling your opponent's move (making them attack themselves) but it's a device that emits an electrical pulse at a frequency that disrupts the communication of neurons...it's somewhat unreliable as there really isn't a way to 'focus' the pulse.)

'VeganTNT' is a pretty powerful weapon (used as a special) for a mid level character. For now, we don't have weapons that can be used on the map...but this would certainly fit that usage if we were.

...So in the meantime, it makes a pretty good special attack (it would seem to fit a character in the 'Hunter' class, probably an alien species like a 'Reouge', a species who are adept with bio-weapons).

Just so you know, there will be an abundance of different weapons to find and use in Galactic Keep. So far we've tested about 60. Each character will have their own distinct weapon (to start with) plus there will be many weapons to find throughout the various missions.

We're open to creating two more weapons/specials based on your ideas, keep them coming!

Also, 'Imp or Oaf?' is almost ready to test on a more 'broad' scale (in the next couple weeks) so please PM me if you're interested in being a tester. More news on 'Imp or Oaf?' coming very soon.

Thanks for your input thus far!

12. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    How about something defensive, like a personal shield that is a form fitting field of energy...I'm thinking of the personal shields like in Dune, but not boxy...form fitting.

...lol, it could be called "Self Defense".

hmm, how about a two handed rail gun that fires solid slugs, the "Express"...it's a quick way to deliver death to your enemies

13. gildedskull

Dune is a great reference (one of my favorite movies from an art direction standpoint and a great book). Those 'personal shields' looked amazing, good special effect for the time.

14. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    ...yup, "only the slow blade enters the shield".

15. gildedskull

As we develop Galactic Keep: Dice Battles I will regularly post images and descriptions of the characters, places, species and technologies to be found in the game right here, in this post. Here’s the first of the series:

MEET THE BALTHWOT

[​IMG]
    Generally, not much is known about the Balthwot civilization. One feature of their culture that is very obvious, however, is its duality.

A large sect of Balthwot individuals are, for the most part, very focused on a particularly secretive (and somewhat peaceful) religion and pursue their religious doctrines with unending fervor toward ends that have had both positive and negative effects on other species.

In contrast, there have been an astounding number of persons who are diametrically opposed to the teachings of the primary core principles of their largest faith. Many brutal military commanders, vicious and remorseless pirates and esteemed and unyielding warriors throughout their tumultuous history have fought voraciously against the powerful religious sect that has been the ruling power of their home planet, Taarses, for centuries.

It is said by some that the Pakall and the Balthwot are genetically related. It is true that both species originated from the Daltheon System but neither culture has ever acknowledged that their similarities may point to a common ancestry.

The Balthwot is one of seven playable species in 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles'.

16. gildedskull

Gilded Skull Games is now on twitter! Get the latest on 'Imp or Oaf?' and 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles' (and some new surprises to be announced in the coming months) by following http://twitter.com/GildedSkull!

Something 'of interest' may happen if we reach 1K followers!

17. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #77 Dark NRG, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    Man, I can't wait for Galactic Keep. I won't care about Minigore updates or arguments with Alive 4-Ever or other games anymore! :D

ps sorry, I'm not a "twitter" person, but I'll support you any other way! I'll start with my humble opinion to focus your energy and resources on Galactic Keep. No matter how I try, since it was featured on the front page of TA to even know looking at the website, I just-don't-get Imp or Oaf... at all.

18. gildedskull

I get that you don’t get it.

‘Imp or Oaf?’ originally wasn’t even a game. A friend of mine came up to me one afternoon. He’s a pretty quirky guy…but aren’t we all. So he has this picture he’d drawn on a post-it note that he was (mostly) covering with his hand. He shoved it into my face “Imp or Oaf?!”. I had no idea what it was, I could only see a foot. He lifted his hand: “Oaf!” then he gave me the drawing. It was ridiculous, there was no way I could have known what it was. He came back to me all day long with a new one every couple of hours. Some were really stupid and some were actually hilarious.

So flash forward six years or so. I was beginning to start Gilded Skull. ‘Galactic Keep’ is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time but we needed to make a game that, in addition to helping to fund the development of Galactic Keep, would help us to ‘prime the pump’ so to speak. We needed to test out the iPhone, get a walkthrough of the submission process with Apple…and generally needed a 'guinea pig' app.

So I was talking to this friend and it clicked: what if we made ‘Imp or Oaf?’ into an iPhone guessing game for kids! So we started to make the game, wrote up a concept doc and started to lay it out. We tested it a bit and found that when you built scoring into the game it became a pretty fun time waster. The highscores (and wanting to see the new and different imps and oafs) made the game compelling to play.

The game is so simple. A bit absurd but, in the end, fun to play and a tiny bit 'educational'.

So that’s the ‘Imp or Oaf?’ story! It’s a game for kids…but it ends up being a pretty fun game in general.

...and hopefully it might help to pay the bills and make sure that GK gets made!

19. gildedskull

Hey all!

We're still looking for TWO MORE unique weapon concepts/ideas that may end up being used in Galactic Keep. We've already created four weapons based on toucharcade-user ideas (seen in this post) and are excited to see some more!

As we said earlier:

“We'll pick three weapons and three special attacks to test (translating them into the 'game universe') and give them to a couple of characters that we've pre-rolled to try them out against one another.”

We’ll also post a picture of what the weapon will look like (on a ‘weapon card’).

More info on Galactic Keep soon!

20. gildedskull

As we develop Galactic Keep: Dice Battles I’ll continue to post images and descriptions of the characters, places, species and technologies to be found in the game right here, in this post. Here is another of the playable species to be found in the game:

MEET THE ROBOT

[​IMG]

A being of sentient AI contained within a variety of different sized and shaped carapace. The original ten AI robots were created by the United Coalition of Bodies as military technology. Of the ten, eight were said to be destroyed in various conflicts. The remaining two, named ‘Aien’ and ‘Tairn’, were hired by the Coalition to continue development on more of their kind.

Over the course of several hundred years sentient robots have spread throughout the galaxy, recognized as full and free citizens by the Coalition.

The Robot will be one of seven playable species in 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles'.

Follow us on twitter here