Galactic Keep by Gilded Skull Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #141 acidshaman, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    thought id just say I really like the look of Galactic Dice, ive always been interested in D&D games but I could never go to a comic shop and play them (im not that much of a nerd :p)

edit: I just read this whole thread and I think i jizzed, Gharsos FTW... i love all these contests you guys are doing, some of those weapons/abilties were badass!!

2. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

A new piece of creature 'concept art' finished minutes ago...

[​IMG]

3. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    That's awesome!

4. farnsworthiness

farnsworthiness Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    I think that guy is going to need a bigger set of knives to play with your bug.

What is the creature called? It looks cuddly and German. Is that a carapace for a shell or are the strong lines representative of musculature?

5. gildedskull

We haven't got a name for it yet.

It has a lot of parts...some are bone-like carapace layers, some are tendons, some billow out and help it to breathe. It flies with a gigantic 'gliding' wing. They're pretty rare.

We're considering making it sentient...maybe not this species, but there will be enormous, 'beast-like' sentient species in the game.

6. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    wow i hope i can soon test it )

btw i love your artworks and the grafic styles

7. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Man, I didn't see the beta testing for this. :(

8. gildedskull

#148 gildedskull, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Don't worry, we haven't started the beta yet.

We'll put out an 'all call' when we do. If you want to pass along your info now, we'll hold onto it.

PM me the following:

- A working email address
    - Full name (not 100% necessary, but helpful)
    - Device UDID
    - Device model/type

We're looking into the possibility of multiplayer for GK. What are your thoughts on an 'arena' mode where you'd face off on a small map (possibly various arena maps, with a matchmaking system) against another player, a few AI combatants and some creatures via wifi? You'd start with no weapons, they'd be scattered around the map. You'd have to grab one or use your fists.

The 'arena' could be the first step toward being able to update with adventuring on maps with other people over wifi...

What are your thoughts on having a 'quick battle' feature where you'd be able to fight someone over bluetooth on the spot (1 character vs. 1 character, no map). Are achievements, leaderboards/rankings, social networking, messaging, chat valuable to you?

We're exploring 'premium' ways of adding these things to GK but we won't if they're not really necessary/wanted ;)

9. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

This just a quick idea for an online mode. Have an objective, such as kill a certain guy. And two people compete to see who can do it first. Theyd either start in different areas or would do the level parallel (not seeing the other though).

10. farnsworthiness

farnsworthiness Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    I think that an arena mode would be a lot of fun. Having a cooperative aspect to it would be good. Similar to what Walsh06 mentioned above, you could have a combined objective be a more powerful character. That character could be AI controlled or another player. Work with the other players to topple the other guy...

Other options on top of the traditional 1v1, 2v1, 1v2, nvn deathmatches could be simple card or dice games you could play against other players online. Really, what I'm seeing is something akin to the Mos Eisley cantina where players get together to fart around, relax, spar against each other or have a drink prior to entering back into the game proper.

11. gildedskull

We really like the idea of having multiple players sharing a common goal...and working co-operatively to complete it. Fighting through a flow of weird creatures and combatants to get to a gigantic building-sized creature...we're working on designing some epic creatures and gladiator-style combatants right now.

A cantina style 'lobby', filled with AI and actual players could be pretty interesting. A jerk could come in and start a bar fight...and everyone would have to stop what they're doing, join in the fray, kick his ass then get back to whatever they were doing.

We want to have a 'point system' where you gain points through multiplayer and buy special items and characters to use in the main game.

12. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    I think that some form of co-op multiplayer would be an awesome addition. I'm not that interested in RPG-style vs. multiplayer for most games.

If you want to make it really great, allow multiplayer in the main campaigns (a-la Baldur's gate). You can do it by either letting people bring their own characters in to help someone else's campaign game, or you could have people essentially 'jump in' to control NPC's that are currently in the character's party.

Or do something that nobody has done yet - let people jump in and control the NPC enemies in someone else's campaign. That should shake things up.

For me though, the real draw is a great single-player game. As long as that's there, I'm a happy guy, multiplayer or no.

13. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    +1 a strong single player component will make me super happy :)

I really love the idea of co-op play as well...even tho right now I have no one to co-op with...I'm much more interested in PvE vs PvP.

The cantina style setting sounds really, really neat though.

14. gildedskull

Here's the corner of an arena (map design) I've been working on.

[​IMG]

15. gildedskull

As we continue to develop Galactic Keep: Dice Battles we'll post images and descriptions of the characters, places, species and technologies to be found in the game here, in this thread. Here's another of the playable species found in the game.

The Reouge were created originally to be the core enemy in the mission ‘The Black Handle’ wherein your character stealth-raids a reouge laboratory compound that is a skyscraper-sized freighter sunk partway into a gaseous bog on an uncharted planetoid. They were such interesting characters that we decided to make them playable in the game.

MEET THE REOUGE

[​IMG]

The reouge civilization puts a cultural focus on scientific and technological development, primarily in the fields of biomechanical and microorganism engineering. They consider themselves above the law and aren't at all afraid to experiment in using compounds and technologies in their science that are considered contraband throughout most of the galaxy.

The Reouge government have scattered veiled laboratory colonies across the galaxy that engage in illegal research on genetic manipulation, microbial warfare, nanotech viruses and full-scale organism creations (among other things) that have been banned throughout the galaxy by the Coalition. Historically, over the past century, the Coalition has charged their government with at least a thousand major crimes.

The most severe of their convicted crimes involved the complete destruction of the ecology on the planet Hanfron-Dukk. The reouge were accused of releasing a virus that mutated the genetic components of millions of species on the planet, throwing their ecosystem into chaos. The remnants of the two sentient species on the planet, the Ghrenn and the Baldane, were eventually relocated to nearby moons as their home planet became completely inhabitable. The Baldane have taken up arms against the Reouge in recent years and are presently engaging the reouge home planet of Heull in a terrorist war.

Although the reouge were charged with this crime, and many others, arrests have never been made out of fear of retribution. Coalition time masters have publicly stated that the detainment of top reouge government officials would most certainly have disastrous consequences for the rest of the galaxy.

The Reouge will be one of seven playable species in 'Galactic Keep: Dice Battles' for iPhone.

We just began a twitter account for Galactic Keep, follow it HERE. It will relay communications taken from the game mythos and will detail and fill out some of the backstory.

16. gildedskull

I realized that we hadn't posted the winner of our 'Character Creation Contest' in this post. The winner was VegantTNT.
    In case you havn't seen it, here's the winning entry in card form:
    [​IMG]

This is the 'rolled' version of Trent, after his stat rolls have been added to his base scores. All playable characters have 'base stats'. When a player chooses to play a new character, they must roll 4d10 and then set each of the die to a stat (you can AUTO STAT too). With each race, except humans, there are modifiers that the player can add to particular stats. Here's the character roll screen:

[​IMG]

The player shakes the device to send the dice rolling. When they stop moving they are 'locked' on their numbers. The player can then drag them with their finger into the 'bin' corresponding to the stat they'd like the roll to be added to. If the player were to tap 'AUTO' the dice would roll and would automatically be placed into the bins for them. The scores are permanently added to the character only after the player selects 'APPLY'.

Note that if the player was to select 'BACK' from this screen and then return to rolling the character later, they would be presented with dice of the exact same values to use...once the dice are cast, those are your numbers (unless we decide to have a 're-roll' token).

17. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Very cool. Keep going guys! I'm really looking forward to playing this when its done.

18. gildedskull

The image of 'Tarnklese Bune' a Ghrenn (one of the species that the Reouge displaced). I threw the human in there for scale. It is said that most of what the Orthadon know about time travel, they learned from the Ghrenn.

[​IMG]

19. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    wow, now that's cool looking