Universal Galactic Phantasy Prelude - (by Moonfish Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 28, 2012.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's actually a Super Mario clone. You know, because they are both "games."

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #22 Ayjona, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    And then those Nintendo bastards, in anger over being cloned by all these free-roaming open space sim bastards, went and cloned the "galaxy" part.

It's all very recursive and confusing and now.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    So worth getting sanuku?

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Initial impressions. Game is FANTASTIC... Know that the game is more of an RPG than a direct GOF clone, despite having borrowed most of its trading and proven and tested "menu-based travel shortcuts".

The combat isnt as dogfight-ish as GOF, but it has it's advantages. I actually find it a bit casual, but fun nonetheless. Combat is a mix between Quantum Legacy and GOF. You aim manually using two scope levels. One has a larger area to lock-on to targets, but it lets you move very slow. The other one has a smaller targetting area, but it lets you move faster. In QLegacy, you have to time pressing the defense button for each incoming projectile. In DPP, you press shield and it is on for a duration. Main difference from QLegacy, is that this has a free move, while it's on virtual rails in QLegacy when you lock-on. Havent really tested it much as i've only been in the beginning where some tutorials still popup. So i wont delve deeper into combat for now.

Space travel is nicely implemented. You play it in an overhead view on a 2D plane. This is how you travel from station (planet?) to station. Once there, you can dock, or wander. Wandering is like free flight in 3D like when you arent in combat in GOF. You can visit shops and other stuff this way, or you can use the menu-basedtravelling shortcuts.

Overall the visuals are fantastic. The sounds are ok, but nothing special. The RPG-ing is decent, and has more of an RPG feel than GOF was.

There are 2 types of currency, Credits and Money. Money is only for the impatient, because you can redo very easy missions and get money and a sellable item for rewards. Not sure if we get Credits outside of IAP yet. But so far, in shops, everything can be bought with Money. So far, the only thing i found which need Credits are found in the IAP menu which you get to by tapping on the credits or Money up at the top of the screen when docked. Basically it's for Ship Blueprints, which i imagine will be available in the game later anyways, which may suggest even the credits are for the impatient only. If the blueprints are IAP only, i dont know how else you can acquire other ships, but i am too far from finding out i guess.

The rest of the IAPs are bundles that give Money and what seems to be Overpowered Ships with 1 overpowered equipment that comes with it.

For $1, this game is a steal. And every IAP i can find so far hints as something for the impatient, or for those who want to cheat and finish the game right away.

All i can say right now is that i am greatly impressed with what im playing, and I love this more than i did GOF2 because of the more RPG feel to it.

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

If you have played through Galaxy on Fire II this Game should be a No-Brainer. Besides that the current Price is an Sale so even if you don`t have the Time to play the Game you should definitly hit the Buy Button since the Price should go up in a few Days again to something like $4,99 if I`m not totally wrong.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So are you still in your ship or do you actually 'walk about' to the shops ?

Also in the video it seemed the controls seem odd, not normal for a space game. Eg the 'press down to climb, press up to dive. Can you invert the controls ? You might be able to tell thats a 'biggie' for me !

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's up to climb and down to dive. There are no control options.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, ta for your review earlier. Probably get this soon when its out in the UK

9. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Wow, this looks ridiculously good, and for a dollar, I'd be a fool not to snatch it up before the devs realize how much more they could've squeezed out of me. Still in awe of the video, and anxiously awaiting release tonight. :)

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    really enjoyed the original Galaxy Pirate Adventure... I'm gonna have to pick this one up for sure! =oD

Looks like I"m stayin up late tonight.

11. Moonfish Software

Moonfish Software Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Thanks very much for supporting GPP. Actually, Credit can be bought in IAP or got it free from facebook friends.

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    WANT!!!! Had to say it. Is there a walkthrough for the first one?

13. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    #34 kin, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Ah, I got Galactic Phantasy and Galactic Phantasy Prelude confused.

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    What?

15. Moonfish Software

Oct 16, 2012
    Hong Kong
    We have not changed the price. It should be still USD0.99.

16. JazzFlight

JazzFlight Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    New York
  17. Moonfish Software

Oct 16, 2012
    Hong Kong
    We changed the price of Galactic Phantasy, but not the new one Galactic Phantasy Prelude.

18. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    How long is the sale going for?

19. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Sorry guys, my bad.

It's still the same price!