Universal Galaxoid - A retro space shooter

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ismyhc, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Congrats for the very well deserved 4/5 review by Touch Arcade!! :D

2. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Thanks! Im pretty excited about it! :D I appreciate your comment look forward to improving the game for you guys!

3. graverubber

graverubber Member

Dec 11, 2011
    This is one I've been wanting to pick up for a while and now that I know it's going to have iCade support I am sold. Thanks developer!

4. Wow, good job!

5. Unadan

Unadan New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    #65 Unadan, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    I just posted the high score at 5,302,423 on the leaderboards. Great game! I had to turn off Facebook notifications to stop occasional game crashes - Other than that minor item the game rocks. Keep the updates coming although much else isn't needed - maybe a bit of tweaking the touch sensitivity related to ship movement - sometimes I feel like I can't move quick enough when the action gets intense. I tend to agree with the developer that a pause button isn't needed. I love that the enemy shots look like something from "Astro Smash."

I'm sure one of you here will leave me in the dust in the coming days (or hours).

Currently running the game primarily on an iPad 4.

6. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Not sure why the Facebook notifications would cause the game to crash, but I'll look into it. I have an update waiting for review that has movement sensitivity options! Thanks for playing! Great score by the way!

7. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

Version 1.1 is still waiting on review from Apple. Im starting to fill up my trello board for some other features and wanted had a few questions.

After the Touch Arcade review and from some more feedback I see that there may be want for some connivence type features.

For example:

1. Touch and hold auto-fire (In my opinion this would not give you an advantage, only a convenience).

2. Checkpoints where you would continue a certain number of times. Every 5th level would be a checkpoint and you could only continue 3 times before game over. Score would reset back to score held at checkpoint. (I don't believe this would be much of an advantage either.)

I was thinking of offering this as an IAP called "Modern Conveniences". It would contain those two features and probably only be 99cents. I don't want to put something in the game like this if its going to give people who purchase it some huge advantage on the leader boards over people who do not. I believe what it will offer is an option for those people who want the convenience of a touch and hold auto-fire and also for people really wanting to just have the chance to get farther!

Let me know what you think. I do value everyones input and Im really working hard to improving the game and making it fun for everyone.

Thanks!

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I wouldnt personally have it as an IAP, but then again its cheap

I'm not bothered by game centre/leaderboards at all but i know some people will get upset if others have an 'unfair' advantage so i would be careful as these game centre people take it quite seriously !!

I hope you do another game with a great retro look and feel like this one. Again take a look at Gorf, would be great to have an updated version of that (where each level was different). Amazing game back then

9. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    What about minter style level selects where you can continue from any level completed and your starting score is based on your score and the number of lives you finished with. You'd have to keep a pure leaderboard though for those people who like old arcade start from the start stuff. Minotaur Rescue and Super Ox Wars did it pretty damn well I thought.
    Not too keen on the IAP thing but that's because I just like it all on a level playing field.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #70 psj3809, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    Thats what i dont get about leaderboards. If you want a level playing field then there should be rules like 'only practice or play the game for 25 minutes a night' as many of us married folk dont have that much free time in the evening due to wife/baby/work ! ;)

Leaderboards to me are useless as i'll never be able to beat some 16 year old kid who has tons of free time to play this game over and over and over.

As this is an 'old skool' game it should have an old skool leaderboard, eg it resets the second you turn your device off like it used to in those days !

11. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I think an IAP for these "modern conveniences" (which are basic gaming necessities, IMO) really seems ridiculous.

It will be much more convenient for me to delete this tap fest and go play Chillaxian or Star Defender 3 & 4. Thanks anyways

12. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep - I also have wife, children and a company to run but I still have skill oozing out of every pore and the only way to show off this skill, as my wife, children and business are not interested, is game centre leaderboards.

13. tkphotos

tkphotos Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    talk of adding IAP just turned me off from a purchase!

14. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Just for you Im going add in a touch and hold auto-fire option, no iAP. I do appreciate your input even though you seem to enjoy threatening to delete the app! ;)

Im really sorry that you feel this way. It was only a discussion and I really just wanted to see what people thought. I hope you will reconsider.

Everyone, Im not going to be putting in any iAP.

15. somedumbgamer

May 4, 2013
    Thanks so much for listening! I do appreciate that you're adding the option to hold to fire.

Regarding the checkpoint system, I like how Chillaxian lets you start a new game for every ten levels that are completed. Perhaps that could be included with the option to purchase the ability/convenience to start a new game for any level previously completed? Could also have a "donate" button or sell different ships or increased difficulty as IAP, I suppose.

Thanks again!

16. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Ill be looking into some sort of checkpoint system, but just so everyone knows. I will NOT be doing any iAP! :D

17. somedumbgamer

May 4, 2013
    That's great news that you're looking into a checkpoint system and even better news hearing that Galaxoid will remain IAP free!

18. Alright, both things seem like good news!

19. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Is this a universal app?

20. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep.