Galaxy on Fire 2 FULL HD coming for iPad 2 and Mac

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by diabolus, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Revolting

Revolting New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #21 Revolting, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    I don't see anyone complaining about paying for your game. Far from it; obviously the people who are miffed at the prospect of paying again (or "whining" as you put it... nice view of your customers, there.) absolutely did think it was worth paying for, as they have already done so once.

And that is what people are upset about; not paying for it, not even paying extra for the improved quality, as there would be no issue if it were paid addon content. The issue is paying full price for a game that has already been paid for. You are not asking us to pay for the extra upgraded content, you are asking for us to pay for the entire game again. That's an entirely different prospect, regardless of whether the product is a couple of bucks or a bucket load.

(Not to mention that presumably this also negates all progress in the game, being a completely separate app.)

To add insult to injury you say it would not be feasible to support the content as an in app addon, yet you already have an fully functional addon system in place for Valkyrie and Kaamo Club. (Which presumably are both made redundant by this upgrade? So in actual fact, the 50+ hours of gameplay which we've paid for once already is actually less than the game we've paid for already if we already paid extra for the now-worthless expansions?) Your own addon system is already there staring us in the face on the menu screen, it works, and saying it's suddenly not a good option is fooling nobody.

Again, nobody is disputing that your product is worth the asking price; everybody who likes the game is more than happy to pay for it. And even happy to pay extra for the upgraded version. What is less appealing is being told that our previous purchase counts for nothing and cannot be upgraded, despite the fully functional upgrade system. So you are not asking for us to pay extra for the upgraded version (which people would be more than happy to do), instead, you are asking us to pay for the same game twice.

The analogy of xbox games vs xbox 360 games is totally flawed, because those of us who already purchased it on an ipad 2 were already buying the (at the time) definitive version for the latest iteration of the platform. Having already purchased the game on ipad 2 and now faced with the prospect of purchasing the game again is more like a pc game being released, and then a few moths later a high resolution texture pack is released, but to get it you have to buy the entire game again, because the dev suddenly decided the addon system the game already supported wasn't satisfactory. (more likely, less profitable.)

Sorry if these concerns come across as "whining", but then, you don't seem particularly concerned that your own stance comes across as "profiteering on assumed customer naivety".

It's a shame, because the upgraded version does look genuinely spectacular. Sadly your attitude towards your customers does not mirror it. Labeling concerned customers who feel cheated by an opportunistic pricing model "whiners" is the most unique approach to customer interaction I've ever seen.

Just for the record, I don't dislike the game; what you've done is incredible, and the upgraded version does look wonderful. Nobody here dislikes the game; after all, we've all paid for it once already. The screenshots look fantastic.

I just kind of wish I hadn't already payed and played, so I could get the new version at the asking price without feeling robbed. Ah well. Maybe holding out for a potential GOF3 using the new technology is a better option?

2. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #22 cplr, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    Redacted post since it's seems everything I said was already mentioned by fishlabs.

Cock-pit view please.

Also I understand that complete save game compatibility cannot exist between the two versions, but it would be nice if we could do a one-time conversion from the old game to the new version.

3. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    They have implemented an improved engine. That isn't just added content. It's new models for everything, new GL shaders, higher resolution textures, etc. It would be difficult to roll both versions into a single binary.

Think of it like moving. You can buy a bunch of stuff for your home (like the old IAP add-ons), but the space those things live in always stays the same. Eventually you run out of space and have to decide, do you renovate your entire house and add a 2nd floor, or just buy a new larger home to put your new things in? This new app is like the new home. Sure it'd be possible to expand the old one but it would be a hell of a lot of work, and is more trouble than it's worth (you might need to replace your entire foundation to support a larger house).

4. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I think a whole bunch of people on here need to:

1. Get a higher income.
    2. Man the F@&* up and stop moaning about it.

You purchased the original game and enjoyed it.
    If you want the graphical upgrade you will purchase this and enjoy it.

You are not entitled to a discount.
    You are not being ripped off.

Dev put it quite clearly:
    If you purchase a DVD - you would not get money off the blu-ray.

5. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #25 Pacificsun0481, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    I haven't been posting as much, as I got a 3DS and have been enjoying Zelda.

I still play my iPad 2, yet the only really interesting release to me, was Nyxquest recently.

Back on track...

People have played and owned Ocarina of Time on N64, as a Gamecube bonus disc edition for Windwaker, as a title on the Wii shop...still, the remastered and redone edition is another full price of 40$.

I paid that, as I felt, the upgrade to an excellent game is worth having.

The same can be said for GOF2FHD.

I own it also (GOF2). Yet, I fully justify the separate additional edition. The developer is completely (by good graces) willing to and give us iPad 2owners a beautiful edition of the game we love. That takes time, man hours, a team, assets for art and rendering skill and resources.

It's worth more than a few bucks that dlc/IAP would be, to be honest.

If you own an iPad 2 YOU will be the only ones to benefit (maybe iPhone 5 owners as well, if specd the same)-

If the visuals are worth that to you, enjoy it, like a showpiece for a system at home would be.

Lastly, many of us hardcore would like to see really beautiful console type games, as Fishlabs noted. That takes immense resources to attain that. This is not an argument as to whether of not you think it's fair. It's about demanding certain content and a willingness to reward the developer by paying for those demands.

I can see why it's separate as to not mislead the AppStore audience, with in game screens.

I could see old device owners showering 1 star reviews, lol

Fishlabs, I'm on your side here.

6. geebon

geebon New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Hello guys from the Fishlab! You have made almost the perfect game. Thank you for such a good work. But please make a favor for the old school players like myself (I,v been playing this genre for more then 20 years) - make a COCKPIT VIEW. It can be simple and the only one for all kinds of ships, but you definitly should make it. I now lots of people who won't even try such a game that doesn't have cockpit view. I think adding this feature to new version of the game will definitely convince doubters in buying it. Please listen to your customers and make this product perfect by doing what they ask you to.

Thanks in advance

7. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    So will this actually be available on the PC or only Mac and iPad 2? Because if it's available for the PC I will certainly buy it. Loved it on the iPhone. Would love it on the computer more.

8. Jake S

Jake S Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I'm happy but mad.
    The graphical upgrade is really nice!

Also your analogies aren't very good...

Typically if you buy a DVD its bcus it's cheaper and you chose to buy that instead.
    Now with this game it's unfair because these things were released at different times.
    Also you can return a DVD and get a blu ray
    You cannot return an app.
    You play a game more then u watch a DVD as well. So upgrading A game is more important then having an upgraded DVD
    You really should do an Iap discount. It will give your game more customers!

9. fishlabs_games

fishlabs_games Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    If your really think it us unfair how we will release GOF2 Full HD although I explained in detail why we are doing this and if you don't appreciate how much work went into this version we can't help you.

Sorry if we have lost you and perhaps some other customers here.

Yours faithfully,
    Michael Schade, CEO

10. TobiasP

TobiasP Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Online Editor @ Fishlabs
    Hamburg / Germany
    #30 TobiasP, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    Besides, porting a video game to another device and re-doing all the graphics, assets, textures, effects, etc from scratch is also way more cost- and labour-intensive than putting a film, that's already available on DVD, out on Blu Ray as well. All in all, more than five manyears of work went into the making of "Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD" and we simply can't afford to give the game away for free. Besides, the price that "GOF2 Full HD" will go for is still pretty low when compared to the prices of current boxed titles for PC, for example, so you'll still get quite a lot of value for money here.

As for the Full HD version and the regular version of "GOF2" being released at different times, that's something that came just natural, as the Full HD version required a whole new set of 3D models, textures, effects, etc that all had to be done from scratch. The only way we could have released both titles at the same time was if we'd waited with the release of the regular version until the Full HD version was finished too... which wouldn't have been possible for obvious reasons.

The DVD/Blue Ray analogy you brought up works for movies that are released on both formats at the same time. However, if you bought a movie on DVD two years ago and now you see that it's out on Blu Ray as well, chances aren't good that you'll be able to return the DVD and get back the full price or at least a fraction of it. Given DVD's general loss in value, you can be happy if you still get 3 or 4 bucks for 'em 2 years after you bought 'em.

11. Jake S

Jake S Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I will probably end up buying it but can you add an Iap that gives you something special for free if u already own the game

12. Jake S

Jake S Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Bro chill we don't need to have a spazz attack in a nice thread do we? Also we are just giving suggestions. But some businesses are about the money, not the customer and this seems to be one of them :)

13. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    Of course! We have always done universal builds and if there is an iPhone coming along with similar or better specs as the iPad 2 we'll run an update and make GOF2 Full HD universal.

14. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Yeah I am sure they are just swimming in cash. How about you go to work for the next few months and just tell your boss, " hey man it's cool you don't have to pay me for all the work I did, I don't need to eat or pay my mortgage, or my insurance or my car payment etc..." what the hell world do you live in where you think it's alright to insult someone because you think they should be working for free? Seriously, you people kill me. They have a business that makes games people enjoy, the key word being "business", as in they are trying to make a " living" doing what they love. Do you like their games? Do you want to see similar quality games from them and other companies? Well then quit complaining and let these fellas make a living, or alternatively keep whining about this game not giving you free updates like all those other games that give free updates. You know the ones, angry birds, cut the rope etc..and pretty soon that's all the AppStore will have. I

15. tonyatf

tonyatf Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    you haven't lost me, this is the version i want to play. I loved GoF2 on the iphone and will buy it for the ipad2 and MAC.

16. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #36 cplr, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
    Is there any official comment on this major request for a cock-pit view? I mirror the sentiment earlier which basically said we don't care if it's the same cock-pit for every ship - the important thing is the first-person perspective. I already hold Galaxy on Fire 2 in high regard (might be the only game I continue to go back to for this long). Adding a cock-pit view would only make me love it more! 10 stars out of 5. Without, this will be a "measly" 5 out of 5 game.

edit: i would even take a view that has no visible ship interior, but is still "first person"!

17. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    We actually had a cockpit view in place for the regular GOF2 on iOS but the implementation was too wobbly so we dropped it. The reason is that we still have some legacy code from the java version that is not accurate enough for iOS. We will definitely have cockpit view in GOF3.

/Michael

18. VanS

VanS New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I understand, but...

I think the problem that most of the complainers are having is that they're used to new versions of software having new gameplay content. There have been many free graphical upgrades for programs in the past. The most relevant would probably be something along the lines of Infinity Blade, where a free graphical upgrade was released for the iPad 2. However, there are others I can think of off the top of my head (Far Cry and Crysis 2 come to mind, but it could just be that Crytek is unbelievably awesome).

That being said, Fishlabs has EVERY RIGHT to charge for their work. It looks like an incredible amount of effort went into this, and they deserve to be paid for it. I've put over a hundred hours into GOF2 over the past year, which is a remarkable value for something which only cost me $8 (at the time). I'm almost certainly going to buy the Full HD version. If it's over $15 I can't justify the purchase to myself without something aside from improved graphics, but that's a personal choice and I'm not going to bitch about it to Fishlabs.

One thing I will suggest: throw in at least a token amount of new gameplay content. Adding a couple of new generic side missions probably wouldn't ad much effort at all compared to what's already been put into it. I'd imagine that new tech, ships and systems would take a lot more effort, but I'm just guessing.

Also everyone, try to remember that they're stuck within the limitations of Apple's App Store, which aside from taking a huge chunk of their revenue also makes giving special offers to specific groups of people a bit complicated. It would probably be hard for them to offer a discount to ONLY the people who already bought the original version.

Try to sympathize. A game like this on any system is a rare and awesome thing, and they brought theirs to a platform where they're competing with a pervasive $.99 - $2.99 price point. Anything decent is going to seem expensive on that scale. Just try to remember that Nintendo is charging $40 for the 3DS versions of Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time (which are essentially graphical upgrades), and count your blessings.

19. tonyatf

tonyatf Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    i hope the ipad 2 version comes sooner than later.

20. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You know what would really get people to buy this new version? iCade support ;):D