Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 HD - By Fishlabs

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 12, 2011.

1. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I knew this would happen and so did many insiders. Too many pixels to push even with quadcore graphics. Apple should have just added a nice 1080 x 1440 rez screen which would have looked still much better compared to iPad 2 and still be very nimble for 3d games.

So I guess games that use to run at 60fps on iPad 2 will not be capable on the new iPad at full rez. What a shame!

I'll take a game @ 60fps in iPad 2 any day over -30fps on new iPad resolution.

I sense a long line of anger and regret incoming!

2. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    All the other games I've tried so far run perfectly smoothly on the new iPad - it's just this one that's a real disappointment.

3. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I wonder if fish labs can revert this game back to the original res. At that res the game should run smoother than before while only looking mildly worse than right now.

4. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I hope they do something to get it running smoothly. I've noticed it's when there are large objects on screen that it really struggles - asteroids, space- stations etc.

5. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    It's a nice gesture where companies upped the res of their games but none of it was tested since the update came out before the hardware was available.

6. fishlabs_games

fishlabs_games Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #246 fishlabs_games, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Poor Performance Issues

Hi Guys,

first off, apologies for the poor frame rate at certain stages in the game. As many of you have already guessed we did not have a device to test the game at full Retina resolution when we submitted the latest version but it was such a marketing opportunity we had to give it a try.

We are now working on an update that gives you the possibility to switch back to the standard 1024 x 768 resolution with full visual quality. We still hope to be able to support Retina with reduced effects but decent framerate at anytime - can't promise anything at this stage though. The shaders we are using a very sophisticated but in particular when stations cover a lot of the screen the frame rate drops significantly.

Also, although we explicitly said that GOF2 HD won't run on A4-powered devices we are working on a solution here as well as many users bought the HD version nonetheless.

We hope for your understanding. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
    Michael

7. NonSoft

NonSoft Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    You knew what would happen?
    That a company would update a graphically intensive game, double it's resolution without any testing/optimizations and that it wouldn't run very well?

I think it's a little premature and foolish to assume that just because this unoptimized game doesn't run well at full resolution means that the new iPad is underpowered.

This is also not meant to reflect poorly upon the developers - they took a shot and it didn't work - but that their attempt essentially failed should in no way be held as proof of potential iPad performance.

8. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    what is my best option? I have ipad2 and iphone4. i like to play the HD version on ipad2, and would like to play on iphone4. I also own the SD version, does this mean i should install the sd version and the savegames will transfer without a problem? or can i run the HD version on iphone4?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

9. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Glad to hear that you are working on an update, guys. The standard version of GOF2 is one of my favourite games on the iPad. It will be nice to see GOF2HD running smoothly on the new iPad.

10. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Any news on when the update fix for the GoF2 HD resolution will be released?

11. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
  12. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #252 Delusionaltool, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    dude chill it just needs optimized to run on the new ipad...the a5x has barely been touched to get the max out of it...just you wait and see... the infinity blade dungeons will use alot of it...the graphics the new ipad can do has not even been done yet really...its like running sli mode with the ipad 2s a5 processor....the ps3 came out and it took a while for devs to master the system naughty dog comes in mind with uncharted 2 and 3 , then guerrillas killzone 2 and 3 just took a bit for devs to master the architecture, same goes for the new ipads a5x processor...

it sounds like to me since fishlabs didnt have the new ipad to test it they just went for it, they made the textures 4x higher resolution which is probably the problem, the textures can be made with higher resolution then scaled down to 1024 resolution to compensate and it would still look great with the textures cause there more detailed but much smaller in size when applied to the models...

13. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I'm really looking foward for the update for a4!!! :D
    Will buy this for sure after the update!

14. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    Update is out, with a lot of fixes (retina, achievements,...)

Thanks a lot Fishlab !!!!

15. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    No fps improvements for Ipad 3 in native resolution?

16. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Thanks for the heads up, will check it out when I get home.

17. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Still extremely choppy on the iPad 3 in native resolution, but there is now an option to switch to 1024 x 768. It plays smoothly in lower res but obviously doesn't look as pretty.

18. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #259 Delusionaltool, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    i still think they could fix this and make the fps fine... they just need to create the textures at the native ipad 3 resolution, then scale them down to 1024 and reapply them to the model. so a higher res texture is made then scaled to 1024 resolution but still use the native resolution on the device. that way you still get a high res texture its just scaled down before applying it to the model and you still get the same effect to compensate for the device...a lot of games use this method..

just seems like a cop out, ya you can turn it off for lower resolution to make it smoother so the game you paid more money for 9.99 looks like the standard game which is cheaper and that is not acceptable in my opinion, this game could be optimized to use the native resolution just don't use the textures at that high of resolution... the device has 1gb of ram and a5x processor it should run this game fine...

fishlabs i love you guys but you kinda took the easy way out so you can just turn off the higher resolution, is there a button to give me 5 dollars back since now the 9.99 hd version is just the non hd version which is 5 bucks cheaper...

i hope there is some optimization in the works beside turning the feature off for now is in the works... i know devs have barely even figured out the new ipad architecture and it can do more then anyone realizes at this time...

19. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Is this game's version (HD) playable in iPod Touch 4?
    I am thinking about buying an iPhone 4S, but later, so I think this is the best buy.