Universal Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (By FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 7, 2016.

1. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Will they port the premium switch version to iOS?

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I’d like to know this too. I mean there was a huge mobile fan base, many of whom were really turned off by the F2P version. Would be nice to give back to the fans who brought Fishlabs to where it is. Not everyone can afford a Switch.

3. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #123 redribbon, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    i wish developers keep doing this trend so apple will open their eyes and make the premium section for the appstore. every day all i see is just they accepting trash apps and games. that would be ok IF they make the premium section and let the users choose which games they like. let the game that deserve to be highlighted stays for long enough on that section.
    ps. and keep games like mobile legends or vainglory or other freemium trash away from the premium games section.

4. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Hopefully this version comes to iOS too.

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015

Google Play has a Premium section and it’s nice. Even have a sale section within it that eliminates the need for AppZapp and the like. But I just like being able to filter out everything that is premium.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #126 squarezero, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    There already is a premium list in the App Store (“Pay once”). An actual section would get just as cluttered as the overall store, only with .99 games and Unity asset swaps. The current system, which includes a ton of curation, featured game write-ups, themed lists, etc is actually quite good; pre-ordering is adding another marketing tool that premium games like Jydge have used to much success.

As to Manticore, I doubt that the premium version will do much business on Switch. In fact, there’s already talk of a “mobile glut” on the Ninetendo Store, and previous FTP to premium conversions like a Gear Club have sunk like a stone. And here’s the thing: the issue with Manticore (and with Gear Club, for that matter) is that they’re not good games. Manticore has annoying gameplay loops, a nearly incomprehensible story, and ridiculously complicated system for a very simple shooter. All those things are true whether you pay $30 up front or spend a few bucks on microtransactions.

A couple of days ago I was checking out the “Great on iPhone X” when I ran into a .99 game called Sally’s Law from 2016 — the reviews were great and I took a chance. The game is fantastic: a more emotional experience than Florence but with, you know, gameplay. I did a search for it here and found a thread that had come and gone with a few posts, the last one asking if it was tilt to move (it isn’t). If we want more premium games, we’ve got stop pining for big publishers to see the light and go out there and support great games.

TL;DR: Manticore sucks on iOS, and it will suck on Switch. How you pay for it has nothing to do with it.

7. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    I dunno, the main difference between Gear Club and GOF is space exploration type games always drive a high level of excitement - I believe the recent port from iOS to Switch Morphite has done well and I think its because its that type of game, the "story" in GOF2 was rubbish but that didn't stop lots of us playing it over and over again because of that - with some fixes and a switch to a premium price and no online requirement and id certainly be willing to buy it

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Space exploration is a much smaller niche than racing games. And besides, Manticore is not a space exploration game. It kind of pretends to be one, but it’s really just a simple shooter.

Morphite kind of makes my point: that’s a good game on any platform. It was a success on iOS and it’s a success on Switch.

There are certainly games that did not get much attention on iOS that could do excellent on the Switch: I’m thinking of Steam ports like I Am the Hero, which is getting some buzz on Switch forums.

The thing is, these games are not built around repetitive loops, gear boosts, etc. They deliver premium experiences, which make them a good fit on the Switch.

9. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    yes well aware of that section that comes on and off. like i now i opened my iphone x and didn't see any of that.

new games we love? yes this helped but still mixed with freemium junk. all we need is a dedicated premium section that stay on top of the list or even a dedicated button on the tab below the appstore along with wishlist, sale, best selling and recent release sub menu and it will be gold.

switch already has this since day one and i dont even look or read when i want to buy a game. just open youtube and see how the game plays or looks and go to the e store and buy it.
    yep i agreed, pre ordered system is a nice addition.

lets wait until feb 23rd and then we talk again. since they remake the whole system and focus on the storyline. so fingercross on that. people may like it or hate it. for example, as long time fan of sky force, i finally can enjoy the game as a whole when they release premium version on switch a week ago.

totally agreed on this, no argue.
    manticore sucks?like i said. we should wait til feb 23rd to decide :)

10. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #130 redribbon, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    exactly what i think. google play doesnt even come close when compared to appstore. its just like they are meant for the casual gamers and all other users that doesn't willing to pay for stuff(i know this because i have a lot of friends that doesn't want to pay for it). so no. im using razer phone and pixel 2 xl right now, but believe or not, i only play once on those phone. ive once own nvidia shield and its golden age for me and im sooo sad that nvidia decides not to continue making any shield portable device, but then here comes the switch.

ps. how come you expect people who can only afford to buy a 200bucks phone, buy a 20bucks games? thats why there is no comparison between those two stores. except google create a premium section specifically for the flagship phone which i think its just a waste of resource.

11. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I wish these forums had a premium section... a place to go and pretend that the free to pay, online only trash doesn't exist.

12. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    woa... I hope this gets a mobile release!

13. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    I wish there was too, so folks like you could stop polluting every thread with your whining.

14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

15. Tobi@Fishlabs

Tobi@Fishlabs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Hey everyone, I haven't been very active here lately, cause we had a lot in the works, but nothing to show or discuss openly. But obviously that has changed now. Manticore - Galaxy on Fire is up for Pre-purchase on the eShop and we're really excited to take the step and bring our game to console. We see a really good fit there and it plays damn nice on the Switch. And there's good reason for this: Manticore - Galaxy on Fire is not just a port, but a veritable game in its own right. Of course, it shares assets and content with the mobile version, but it has been purpose-built for Switch rather than "taken over" and the team put a lot of effort into making this a native and rewarding Switch experience. They really did an amazing job!

As for the mobile version, I can unfortunately not go into details on the future plans we're having for it. But I think, many of you will like the news we will soon be sharing on that topic. ;)

16. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Sounds very promising, looking forward to the mobile news then!

17. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    any visual changes on the switch version over the iOS one?

18. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #138 Dankrio, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    I'd gladly pay for a premium title.

Sorry for the OFF-TOPIC, but does GOF 2 still work? Is it worth purchasing? Is it still premium or is it IAP infused?

19. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    It is called identifying a worthy cause and fighting for it, not whining, thank you. I love iOS gaming and anyone who is satisfied with anything other than premium is fooling themselves and getting a lesser experience.

Please don't be rude to the people willing to stick their neck out and fight for a better gaming experience for everyone, in the only place left to fight. There is nowhere else meaningful left to voice an opinion.

20. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    It still works and its of the older pricing model where premium price tag + dlc mini expansions. Highly worth it.