Universal Galaxy Run - (by Spiel Studios)[Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Three starred chapter 2 and 3, most of 4. Game continues to impress. Each chapter added a new mechanic and then building on the previous ones.

I definitely would like the timer to reset automatically when you die. Just would make it faster to reset when you're trying to go for three stars.

2. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #22 Lazer Kat, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Loving this so far.
    Just now starting ch 2
    I spy in app purchases, and a timer however.
    What's that about?

The timer ruins the game for me
    I want to be able to enjoy it

Ifi finish a level, I finish a level.
    Allow me to advance.

3. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

Yes, it does support iPad Retina.

Plus looks fabulous on an iPad Mini Retina!

4. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

The timer keeps a track of how many orbs you should get - 3, 2 or 1. Faster you complete higher orbs you would get. Even if you take a long time to complete a level and get no orb, you should still be able to advance and play the next level.

You can replay the old levels again later to score 3 orbs in each.

Hope this helps.

5. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #25 Echoen, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    I'm fairly confident some stages need to be rechecked for their 3-star criteria. The stages with cannons are the most prevalent for this.

12-1 Requires 5 seconds. Best: 6:58
    14-15 Requires 4.5 seconds. Best: 5:53
    16-3 Requires 5 seconds. Absolute best: 5:08 with a jump trick I came up with that I can't repeat. Average 5:30+
    16-7 Requires 4.50 seconds. Best: 5:50
    16-9 Requires 4.50 seconds. Best: 4:85
    16-10 Requires 5.00 seconds. Best: 5:28
    16-11 Requires 4.50 seconds. Best: 4:78
    16-17 Requires 4.5 seconds. Best: 4:53 (it's perfect. feels like the cannon speed was adjusted after the stars were set)
    16-19 Requires 4.50 seconds. Best: 5:21
    16-20 Requires 4.50 seconds. Best: 9:10
    18-11 Requires 4.70 seconds. Best: 6:88

Edit: 18-18 looks off too

Don't get me wrong guys, this game is great. Precise jumps and proper timing needed everywhere. I'd have to say Run Roo Run is slightly harder but this has other mechanics and it's in a different setting.

4 more extreme stages to go and I'm done with the game! :)

6. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

Hey, you are right. We have pushed an update which should take care of this. Should go live within a few days..

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahahaha a timer? What has F2P gaming done to your mind?!

8. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Timer? :confused:

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    There's a time limit to get 3 stars in each stage like in my post above. You can go on indefinitely past that time limit but you cannot progress to the next level unless you get at least one star or use a skip power up which is consumable IAP. Totally not needed as I completed all 360 levels just fine without any of those.

10. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, there is no waiting timer in the entire game. The only timer, is the one that records your time taken to complete each level.

Also, even if you do not get 3 orbs (stars) in a particular level, but complete it in some way by taking longer time, you are still able to advance to next level.

So, if you finish a level, you advance.

11. Yeah, kinda like a run spaceman run, having a good time with it.

12. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Run Rez Run :D More people need to get this game. For a buck, there are hundreds of levels to go through and they offer quite a bit of challenge. :D

13. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Agreed
    Awesome game

14. gkikola

gkikola Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Looks pretty good. How do the controls feel?

15. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

#35 Bewi, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    The game is great and definitively has a Run Roo Run feeling. But I think it is not built as precisely as was Run Roo Run.

I have played the same level several times by jumping as the same moment and the time was not the same at the end. This is not a problem to earn the stars, but it is for the leaderboards, that are in my view the most valuable objective in this kind of game.

Otherwise, the challenge is great, the gameplay is fast. A lot of levels too.

I would like an auto restart with the timer being reset to zero too. In Run Roo Run it made sense as you had a sort of ghost to guide you if you did not reset, but here, there is no such thing.

EDIT : The controls are not as precise as Run Roo Run but are good.

EDIT 2 : The 3-01 level is a proof of the lack of precision in the timer. This is a level where you don't have to do anything to reach the end, only let the hero walk alone. Try it several times and you will have different timers despite the fact that you don't interfere with the movement. Not a game breaker but very annoying for the leaderboards.

16. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

#36 spiel, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Bewi, the game is built with real physics, using Box2D, and we wanted to give it a touch of realism since the character looks and runs like human. So there could be a difference of a few milliseconds depending upon how we play each level.

Sometimes jumping more and finishing a level could be faster, due to low friction between the surfaces. But also, jumping at the right time and place so that the speed of the character doesn't slow down much needs to be kept it mind.

We have refrained from hard-coding any values to give a more realistic and free-flowing feel to the game.

More or less the time would be in the same range to get the required orbs, but every individual would play it differently and build his own style to get his best time. We preferred this approach as it increases the possibility of getting varied times rather than being mechanical. So, try and beat your best time, because you could better that too possibly :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming :D

17. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Hey I'm not sure if the leaderboard is updating. I played chapters 1 and 2 again yesterday and today and improved most clear times but my total time in GC still hasn't updated. GC updated immediately with other games I played today

18. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

In certain close cases it seemed to not update GC. Its already rectified in the latest update and submitted to Appstore...

19. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

I am absolutely sure that the timer goes on at the same pace even when my iPhone is slowed for a reason or another. Hard to prove and to send a screenshot or whatever else though. That explains why you don't have the same time on multiple tries of the same level.

20. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

When the iPhone slows down for some reason, the fps usually drops within the game. Earlier, the timer and the fps were independent of each other, but with the latest update this should get fixed. Now if the game lags due to some background processing or notification, the timer will also reciprocate in the same way.