Galaxy Run (By Spiel Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by spiel, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ooooo I'd love a code! Been waiting a while for this one

2. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I absolutely love it! It's like Run Roo Run with a scifi spin and a ton more variety. Super super fun and lots of levels. Highly recommend it!

After beating world's 15 normal levels you unlock 5 extreme levels as well. Those really test your skills!

I'm definitely gonna 3 star this whole game!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I'd appreciate a promo code too if you still have any left. Thanks.

4. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Gameplay is similar to Run Roo Run, but with a space theme. They slowly introduce you to each gameplay mechanic on each stage. The game is very easy at the start, but gets progressively harder. The 5 extreme levels in each stage add some challenges to the game for more hardcore player. There are 3 sections: Perseus, Drak-nok, and Aquarion. Each section/ area contain 6 stages. Each stage introduce a new gameplay mechanic (e.g. double jump, gravity shift, speed strip, etc.), which add complexity to the game. There are 15 normal levels and 5 extreme levels in each stage. So, about 360 levels in total. Each stage will last about 3-4.5 seconds and you will breeze through the earlier levels very quickly. The graphics and background are decent, but the background looks pretty much identical in every single level (I have played through about 80 levels). It takes a little bit of time getting use to the double jump when you are playing extreme levels, since you can tap and hold to jump further.

5. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it J! We played Run Roo Run - a great game, and what I think that makes this game different is the realistic human physics that has been applied to the character which makes the whole game more lively and free, and as you mentioned - the variety of gameplay mechanics and the way they have been implemented.

Meanwhile, the game is also compatible with iOS7 game controllers. So if anybody has got their hands on Moga Ace Power / Logitech Powershell controller, it would be great if you could run it through.

Our controller will be arriving next week!

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks for the promo code.

This is a fantastic sci fi spin on the genre and i love every bit of it.

7. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I hope the release goes well for you guys, I'm proud to say I much prefer this to Run Roo Run

9. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

Thats a huge compliment J. Hoping for a good release next week..

Thanks EP and biokid for the feedback. Glad you liked it.

If anyone with an iOS7 game controller wants to test ride the game, we are all ears!

Thanks!

10. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

So barely 3 days to launch!

We still have some promo codes left if anyone wants to take it for a spin!

Cheers

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would like to give it a try thanks

Not normally a fan of runners but after watching the video i'm intrigued to see how it plays (as i saw the guy going left/right ?)

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just completed all Perseus levels. Awesome game, but i hated the Rope Swing sequences as it brought a lot more random factor with it rather than pure timing.

It isnt bad per se, but i just think the rope swing mechanics is the odd-man-out.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Havent got to that point yet. I'm not normally keen on runners but i really like it that its a single screen affair.

Been quite easy so far so interested to see the rope ones later. So far so good though, quite impressed

14. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

Glad you liked the game! Actually, to get the rope swing right you need to jump in the swing zone shown in the first level of that fifth chapter, and then the swing is based on real physics depending upon the swing angle and speed of character. Think of Rez as Tarzan when trying to get the rope! Try this trick when you play the Drak-Nok levels :)

However, you are right, its a little bit of guess work to jump in the swing zone, as its not shown in all the levels apart from 5-1. We thought it would be nice to make it a little challenging and throw in a slice of 'unknown' factor in the game.

15. spiel

spiel Well-Known Member

Yes, this is not your typical endless runner. Rather not endless at all. Total of 360 single-screen levels with a defined story ending. Looking forward to your impressions!

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup. With the bite sized levels i didnt really spend too much time on the rope levels to complete them, but for me they didnt feel right in the game.

Where you initially jump from affects the rope length and the swing speed, and where you release the rope affects the distance at which you land on, and your "landing speed" (the forward speed at which you are falling vertically). Each one affecting each other and the time of completion, and has too many factors that could result as feeling random, when the rest of the game is about precision.

Nonetheless, as i said it isnt a bad mechanic and actually adds a physics side to the game, but maybe a little out of place.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'd also appreciate a code if you have any left. This game looks right up my alley and one member's comparison to Run Run Roo has me chomping at the bit as that's one of my favorite auto running platformers.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #38 awp69, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    Really enjoying the game so far. I can see the comparisons to Run Roo Run, but like the space environment and am looking forward to seeing what surprises lie as I get further in. Controls are also good and responsive.

My only minor gripe is that if you die in a level, the auto restart with the timer continuing is a bit annoying. Anyone with any sense who wants to get all three orbs on a level is going to restart to get a good time rather than double or triple the time from the auto restarts. So I'd recommend either doing away with the automatic restarts and letting the user select restart if they want. Or just have the timer restart when you start over each time. Just seems like an unnecessary evil to go through a level and realize that you got way more time due to the timer continuing to run.

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    This was in Run Roo Run as well. It made more sense in that because if you didn't reset the timer then it would show where your previous jumps were. Here there's no benefit.

Hmmm I never really thought about it that much but yeah, if the previous run's jumps aren't gonna be shown then I think it's unnecessary

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for pointing that out. Been a while since I played Run Roo Run so forgot that it also does this. Guess I can almost see where you could keep the timer going to "practice" with the previous jumps being shown.

Regardless, even in that game, unless you're a casual player, you're always going to do a hard restart to make sure you get the best time.