Game started at 2nd page - Looking for suggestion

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MarsApp, Sep 19, 2009.

1. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    ok. I didn't realize that. That makes things easier. :)

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Then I stand corrected. However, I worry about people changing the date at the end of the day for updates, as they could be making their apps disappear for periods of time due to time differences. Change yourself to the next day at 11pm Eastern, and you may become invisible to the west coast for a few hours. And who knows how it works for other countries who are a half day different from you. Seems dangerous to me. Any time you change it, you may become invisible somewhere. Me, I know that updates will go live in 9-14 days, so I check email every couple hours on those days.

3. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    But obviously, the quicker you change it, the better. :)

4. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Yeah, I used to get those 6pm Ready For Sales. I learned it was because I was submitting them at night. I started submitting in the mornings/early afternoons, and all my updates since have hit between 10am-2pm.

5. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    #25 arkanigon, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Yes, you're right. For updates you should never set the release date to the future.

What I've been doing for updates is I've been going day after day and changing the release date to the current date... For updates, I haven't been that worried about getting on the front page... what could happen is if I set the release date to the current date in the morning when I wake up at 7:00am on the 20th... I go to sleep on the 20th, and wake up at 7:00am on the 21st to discover my app was released on the 21st but before I woke up... And since my release date was still set for the 20th I'm not on the front page... however I was only 1 day off (worst case), so I'm not too bothered...

6. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

That's good to know, thanks.

7. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    I was a bit worried about any confusion caused by the method I described... I just want to reiterate... never set the release date to the future for an update.

From now on, I'm going to follow the process of just changing the release date when I get the acceptance email.

8. MarsApp

MarsApp Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Agree that it is dangerous to change release date of update to future date... I don't want my app disappeared ...

This is my first game, and I put more effort than all my previous apps (non-game app)... However, the result is so bad... I know it is so competitive in game section, but I don't expect that people cannot see my game release on Page 1... :(

9. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Hi guys, could someone clarify the alphabetical sorting by release date situation for me? Either I'm confused by how it works, or something has changed recently.

10. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    there is double sorting

First, games/apps are sorted according to the day
    then, within that day, they are sorted according to name

so say:
    "AAA" released on 21st
    "BBB" released on 21st
    "ZZZ" on 21st
    "ABC" released on 20th

get it now ? ;)

---

another thing - someone should really write to Apple about all those crap-quizes. not only they completely flooded the AppStore, but they rely on trademarks that they certainly don't have rights to. spongebob quiz ? aerosmith quiz ? what's that all about ?

you use a wrong keyword and you get rejected, but you can call your app based on a trademarked name ?

11. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    kind of...but which list are we talking about? i think that's the part where i was confused.

12. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    new releases list

13. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    awesome, thanks! I was thinking new & noteworthy instead of new releases. :D

14. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wanna sure if anyone brought this up yet, but why not just set the available date to months ahead, and that way when you get the ready for sale email, then set the date to next day's. That solves the problem of having to get the email and then set the date and then only appear hours later.

The theory is if you set the date to 24 hrs later, it could get queued in Apple's system and then appear on time round after PST 12am.