Gameloft IAP Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scarypharaoh, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I had so many refutations of your opinion here, but didn't bother because as my old psychology professor used to say, "It's like trying to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

2. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I honestly couldn't agree with your professor more... he's a smart man!

Most people just don't get it...

3. mid0109

mid0109 Member

Feb 8, 2011
    There's no need to get all high and mighty. Nobody said anything about being entitled to a price reduction, yet for some reason just talking about price seems to get people riled up around here.

Obviously it's their choice never to change the price, but I'm just bringing that discussion to the table since we're used to their regular $6.99 to $4.99 price points with the occasional drop for a sale. Many people are adjusted to that model and with the IAP, people are most likely going to have to adjust that.

Also, I really wish people would stop throwing out the $60 console price point. It's comparing apples to oranges and it serves no point in this discussion. Once iOS games reach the level of console games, or gets near it (which likely won't happen), then that will actually be relevant.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #184 backtothis, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    I agree nearly 100% with this post. Not sure what the previous posters are talkng about.

I don't feel like taking part in this discussion again, since this conversation comes up more than once each month, but I really feel disgusted by what the AppStore has done to gamers. It's sick seeing people waiting until a Gameloft game goes to $0.99 before even thinking about buying it and making such a comment ON THE FIRST DAY A NEW GAMELOFT GAME COMES OUT. Seriously if I see one more "I'll get it when it goes on sale for $0.99" two hours after a new Gameloft game debuts...then they go on to complain about how uninspired, unpolished, and how terribly short/boring the game was. Not going to call of you out, but you know who you are. The truth is that AppStore consumers actually do feel entitled to getting a price reduction on any games above $0.99. No need to defend greedy teenagers.

Okay let's not compare iOS games to those of the ps3/xbox 360. But um, I've bought tons of "premium" psp titles for $50, and believe me, I'd rather be fragging noobs on Nova 2 online any day. DS games? That's a good one. Call me an iDevice fanboy? Hardly. I've been playing nearly console since the Super Nintendo, and although it hasn't been THAT long, I think I've had enough experience with games of every kind since then (GBC, GBA, N64, PS2, PSP, PS3, DS, Wii, PC/Mac) to say that the iOS provides games that are worth many proportions above their asking prices. I'd truly rather play a few rounds of something like MC2 online than sit on the damn couch all day playing my PS3. Honestly, if people are complaining on a new pricing choice just because it won't be going on sale visibly..just go return your device that you bought for hundreds of dollars. Really, just go return it.

5. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Well I was willing to part with my money but have had nothing but problems with the IAP. Had trouble downloading the full version (this I would usually do on iTunes), constantly asking for my password every time I returned to the game and finally saying it was obtained illegally and deleting my saved game. No response from gameloft so I am not a happy bunny and will steer well clear of IAP in the future

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Ahh, this is why I don't like IAP.

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Are you even thinking before you write? Are you? That was a stock answer with a hidden read between the lines meaning of - it just got released this week so why the heck would we let you vote for it to be 99 cents since of course that is what you will all vote for.

As for IAP going on sale? Of course it does - I got Peggle a LONG time ago for 99 cents and then later they added the Peggle Nights IAP. It was through a thread on this site that I saw the IAP was reduced to 99 cents. Several other people got both games for less than one. It is very safe to assume if you follow the threads you will know when IAP goes on sale. Lots of people sited examples of IAP going on sale - did you see any of that?

Why is this debate even still happening? It seems like the rational responses are mature and thought out with real life experience and data to back it up and the rest is all me, me, me, whine, whine, whine. And even at full price my goodness, it's cheaper than a movie ticket, cheaper than a LOT of things that I am sure each and every poster that complained about this model is indulging in every weekend.

Just because you have a device that costs hundreds of dollars does not entitle you to fill it with 99 cent games. Show some maturity and if you can't afford the 7 dollars then you sit and accept the fact you can't get it - or go do something about getting it. Sitting in front of the computer whining is certainly not going to get it to you faster - but maybe some chores, or odd jobs, or something else will. And if you can't do that then wait, wait until a birthday, holiday, anything that will allow you to ask for an iTunes card as a gift and get it then. Waiting and saving and earning it will teach you the value of the dollar far more than sitting, begging and demanding. Maybe if you earn the money yourself you might not want to spend the 7 dollars - not because it is a 7 dollar Gameloft game but because you see what goes into earning that 7 dollars and you might choose to spend it in another way.

I'd love a Mazerati but you don't see me begging the dealer to drop the (equivalent ratio) price by 6/7 ths, or asking him to put me on an alert list for their sale. No, I simply move on to something I can afford. Real life, real world, better get used to it or else you will be rudely awakened one of these days.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    <3 @ NEG

Nice postttttt.

9. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    This is why we never get "console quality" games. The people complain,moan,growl,and snarl at aything priced $1.99 and above.
    I can imagine these guys taking thier girlfriends on dates , baby we buy a happy meal I eat the burger you can have the fries.
    You take your girl to the movies buy a ticket then tell your girlfriend ok I will go watch the movie , and I tell you what happened later. Just hide out in the meantime in the bathroom , I text you when Iam done.
    I see a lonely future for some cheap IOS gamers ,better stock up on games now.

10. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
  11. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    how much for the iap????

12. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    can IAP drop price?

13. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    This sale model (free game + IAP) is to avoid the piracy.

Can anyone post impressions about the game?

14. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    IAP won't stop piracy... I thought we been through this with Sacred Odyssey.

15. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#195 Der-Kleine, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    IAP doesen't stop piracy, it forces piracy, because pirates can now only play the game pirated and can't actually purchase the game, so I don't really see the point in this, gameloft. Also, Reading iTunes reviews it seems to confuse people, but then again one should never trust iTunes reviews! :p

16. Iphoneapps

Iphoneapps Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Germany
    Hope Gameloft will just find a another way to stop piracy , like with an self-made protection or Apple should program a security script to catch pirates and ban them from appstore permantly. That would help at all ,because Apple currently fight against jailbreak ,but Apple should fight against piracy .

But anyway there will be costumers who liking the idea with iAP-Purchases and costumers who will hate it , but it's basically nothing special ,it's just a new way to purchase the game. Btw. users are now able to test the game ,without waiting until a lite version will published ,so it isn't a bad idea at all.

17. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering why this thread has one star, when the game isn't out for the majority of the population. Somebody's reaction to IAP perhaps?

Shame.

18. wooseokjo

wooseokjo Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Thank you gameloft

Yes a surprise to see his today!!! Thanks to gameloft. I'm feeling very happy and excited ! I'm downloading it now and see u guys online:) and why so not happy about iap? Pirate users will eventually buy it because thy want it so bad.I say that iap is a nice way to stop pirating and it will help AppStore to grow

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not quite following. The IAP model in Sacred Odyssey did not prevent piracy? I didn't think there was a way around the IAP mechanic.

And why can pirates now only play the game pirated?

The day Apple realizes this will be a great day for all of us :)

20. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #200 Ezak, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Too much iap complaining, it doesn't change anything for anyone, except actually allow people to try before buying.

Any more game impressions? Gameplay video would be awesome :)

Ok, I had my phone jailbroken a few times to unlock tethering and stuff like that...
    However, I will go as far as to say that the majority of ios users jailbreak to use hacked games/apps.
    It's like megauPload saying they're in it for legal file exchange like photos and stuff. Sure, that's partly true, but stop the hypocrisy, most of it is illegal