Gameloft Sale! (Let's Golf, Asphalt 4: $0.99)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sceneshifter, Jun 16, 2009.

1. lathode

lathode Member

Jun 14, 2009
    #61 lathode, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    Lower price= more purchases. There's no way I would have bought as many games as I have if they cost more. As long as they make enough money to keep them wanting to make more games then I'm all for it. Unless i'm missing the point here.

My $ .99 games bought while waiting for iPhone 3G S

Asphalt 4: Elite racing
    Blimp - The Flying Adventures
    Car Jack Streets
    The Creeps
    Dungeon Defense
    Flight Control
    Heavy Mach.
    iDracula - Undead Awakening
    iDroidsMania
    Kroll
    Let's Golf!
    Peggle
    Sally's Spa
    StoneLoops! of Jurrasica
    Underworlds
    Uniwar
    7 Cities

2. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Are you kidding me? I bought Asphalt and Let's Golf for their FULL prices. 9.99 and 5.99... I would think that Gameloft would be a little professional in this App Store economy and not go for price drops. Boy, was I EXTREMELY wrong. Maybe they need more money after their last 3 app failures?

3. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    can anyone confirm that let's golf! works on iPhone OS 3.0?

4. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    stoneloops, cjs, idracula, and 7 cities are great buys. Havent played the others.

5. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    You're missing the other argument. What they are saying basically is this:
    Let
    Revenue=R
    Price=p
    Number of copies sold=x

For a five dollar game that sells 20,000 copies:
    R=px
    R=($5)(20,000)
    R=$100,000

For a $1 sale to be justified, they must sell more than 100,000 copies:
    R=px
    $100,000=($1)(x)
    x=100,000

The fact is, even if lower price equals more purchases, for the revenue to be sustained, the game must sell many times the original number of copies sold with the sale.

My argument is that the market will balance itself out. If sales are not justified, devs will stop having sales. If they are, then they will continue. It's a waste to purposely buy games at a higher price because the effect that will have is negligible and won't change anything.

6. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    If sales arent justified and they stop sales, then when they raise the price nobody will buy the app because they know that the app has been at a lower price, and they think the app might go down again! This is why all devs are basically screwed in this app store market, unless price changes are abolished! IMO abolishing price changes and drops, as much as I am a fan of them, would stabilize the app store industry, and stop devs from feeling hopeless and unsure of what to do and having heart problems.

7. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    P.S. I am only 17 years old and I think I must be a genius for thinking that up.

8. greenhornet9

greenhornet9 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    why does anyone thats not a dev care about price drops? They benefit you (the consumer) and so there's really nothing to complain about. Plus, they wouldnt do price drops if it didnt help them gain more money.

9. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Price drops are like any other sale.

Basically you can price an app higher when it is new because there are many people (myself included) who will buy it at the full price (which really isn't that much) because they want to play it right away.

Then they drop the price later to make the game more accessible to the other people who may not be able to justify spending the full amount on a game.

This increases sales plus gives them more coverage on the top ten charts.

When they raise the price0 again there will be more positive reviews in the app store.

It's simple economics and it happens in every field not just the app store... so ... if you bought the game at full price and are now complaining.. get over it. Next time just wait. Or be thankful that you got to play a great game already.

10. dmbfan1192

Mar 13, 2009
    #70 dmbfan1192, Jun 17, 2009
    That won't happen because a very small minority actually keeps track of price drops. Most people are not even disappointed by price drops because they never know about it. I happen to know which devs have a lot of sales and I will take advantage of that. However, I will NOT destabilize the market by doing that. I will save money in the end. If the sale increases revenue then congrats to the dev. If it decreases, then the dev can just change it back. Mika Mobile posted something about how halving the price doubled Zombieville's sales and going back to normally halved sales so the dev ended up in the same place. Nobody except for us (a minority) would say, "Oh wow, Mika Mobile had a sale; I better put them on my list."

Exactly my point. Play the game, wait for sales, save money, and don't worry about the market because it's basic economics and it will always fix itself if given enough time.

11. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    I am not complaining and trust me I'm not against price drops at all, just stating my point of view about the craziness of the app store. It does not always help them gain $...

12. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    I agree that there will be more + reviews but they get cancelled out by - ones from people crying about paying a few dollars more than when it went on sale. I am not complaining I hope you know I'm just stating my thoughts about the app store industry.

13. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    For the people that complain, just wait for price drops. Wait until the app hits a price you are willing to pay. In doing this I have never regretted a single purchase.

I waited for Spore to fall in price and then purchased it. Am I pissed that it is now selling for $2.99? No because I paid what I was willing to pay and got my monies worth. What value do you place on a certain game?

Assassin's Creed $9.99 (not interested), $5.99 (purchased)
    NFS Undercover $9.99 (not interested), $6.99 (probably will now buy)
    Peggle $4.99 (not interested), $0.99 (would have paid $2.99 obviously purchased)
    Tiger Woods $9.99 (not interested), $6.99 (probably will now buy, still thinking)
    Hot Shots Golf $5.99 (not interested), $0.99 (still not interested because it is not my type of game)
    Asphault 4 $9.99 (not interested), $5.99 (still not interested), $0.99 (just purchased)

If you purchase a game for $9.99 don't be surprised if that price drops. If you have to have the game the minute it is released then you pay the premium.

14. Icy_fighter

Icy_fighter Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    #74 Icy_fighter, Jun 17, 2009
    What's so great about Lets Golf; it looks boring. I'm going to purchase Asphalt 4 because racing is more exciting than stupid golf

15. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    First of all, never call golf stupid.

Second: maybe EA will drop Tiger Woods to $.99, so gameloft still doesn't get any sales :)

16. Sceneshifter

Sceneshifter Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I purchased let's golf... what's up with the horrible controls? For some reason the screen does not accept my input half the time (only with this game) + when you want to swing to the right it's so easy to hit the hit button instead! If I had paid 9.99 for this I would be upset, now I'm just turned off from Gameloft completely.

17. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Just be patient with the controls.

18. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Why would you purchase Asphalt 4, when there are much better racing games around such as NFS and RR?

Let's Golf, on the other hand, is one of the few golf games around, and in my opinion, is still one of the best golf games around, so this was an instant buy for me.

19. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

All those games are worth $0.99 to start with, except these two new sales.
    It won't last long and it'll make them more money than if they sold it at $5.99. So it's a win-win situation.

20. dmbfan1192

Mar 13, 2009
    So did anybody buy Asphalt 4? I want to get it cause the graphics don't bother me but are there a lot of tracks and cars?

Peggle is worth $15 in my opinion. I bought it on the computer for $20 and other then more music, it's the same thing. A dollar? That's practically stealing it.