Gameloft's NOVA and inverted Y-axis controls petition

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by andytizer, Jan 5, 2010.

1. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Lol so we have an iPad version of NOVA with inverted controls, but the reviews state that the controls are far poorer. I wonder why they couldn't patch in some inverted control options to the iPhone version, which ironically was noted for its 'good' fps touch controls.

If this is Gameloft's track record, then I won't be buying any more of their games.

2. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    The games you listed that I bolded are NOT FPS's

also I don't get why people want inverted controls. It make the games more complicated and is highly overrated.

3. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Inverted controls are just another control method. As an inverted player, I don't claim that inverted controls are better, it's just what I'm used to. In the same way, when you play an FPS you expect WASD keys to be bound to movement/strafing. When you get a game that binds W to 'strafe left' instead of 'forward' then you are going to get really confused. Most of the time it's fine because a game will let you rebind all the keys to suit your preference. However, lack of invert Y-axis is kind of like having W bound to strafe left and having no option to rebind it.

Other FPS games which do have inverted look controls:
    Quake, Doom, Bioshock, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Halo, Goldeneye, Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, Gear of War, Alien vs Predator, Far Cry, Crysis, Deus Ex, etc.

4. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Latest update added invert Y-axis option

Gameloft have added their Y-axis invert option to NOVA, finally!

5. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    That's great news. :rolleyes:

6. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    I take it you are joking...
    in the same way that some games should offer support for left handed players, camera and movement orientation is not universal set one way for gamers. I find games of the nature considerably harder to play without the ability to invert the Y axis.

Defined buttons and cameras are what the devs and publishers feel works for the game, but that doesn't make it right for everyone.

This is not a difficult option to add and considering Apple's relatively smooth update process for titles, get it in and move on. Better to spend the time just putting something into a game that should have been there from the start then waste time trying to argue why they didn't do it.

That why they have something called an [ options ]menu in games.

And besides... if you don't use it... you don't have to select it.. it is about choice and making the game as accessible as possible to as many people as possible. Win, win for a publisher wanting to sell as much units as possible.

Rant over... :p

7. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    If you cared to spend 5 minutes on the game, you would get used to the controls.

8. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    I did care to spend well over 5 mins on the game... I purchased NOVA, played the first three sections of the game and never really got comfortable with it as I am very used to playing FPS titles with (and there is that word again) inverted controls!!

I truly do not believe that if you played a game and did not like the control method you would "get used to it" and not consider asking for changes that would help enhance the gameplay experience for you.

And besides... I have my iPad now, so if inverted controls have been added.. W00t!

:)

9. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Well, it's glad to see you're finally happy. :rolleyes:

10. Lunac

Lunac New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Gameloft please enable inverted y-axis for NOVA!

I, several of my friends, and MILLIONS of others will immediately buy NOVA when you enable the ability to invert the y-axis.

For those who don't understand, there is a very valid reason for this option in addition to just being used to it from flight simulators. In the real world,when you are aiming a gun and point the gun up, your thumb goes back, and when you point the gun down your thumb goes forward, as in the inverted controller setting. For those of us who are used to aiming real guns, it is the only option that makes sense.

;b

11. Lunac

Lunac New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Why we want inverted option

For those who don't understand, there is a very valid reason for this option in addition to just being used to it from flight simulators. In the real world,when you are aiming a gun and point the gun up, your thumb goes back, and when you point the gun down your thumb goes forward, as in the inverted controller setting. For those of us who are used to aiming real guns, it is the only option that makes sense.

12. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

You do know there's a difference between real guns and video games, right?

13. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm pretty sure he does. All he's saying is that it's much easier for some people to use inverted y-axis rather than non-inverted.

14. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Modern Combat 2 Inverted Aiming Y-Axis Problem

I am back again to report that there is a major issue with Modern Combat's implementation of inverted camera controls and aiming.

I commend Gameloft for incluing invert y-axis as a control scheme option from the beginning. Toggling the option does indeed correctly invert y-axis camera control.

However, (in control schemes 1 & 2) if you start firing and then try to look up or down, it will aim in non-inverted mode in that instance. This makes it very confusing and difficult to use for inverted y-axis players.

Inverted players - please do not buy Modern Combat 2 until they patch this in! And be warned - it took them months to fix NOVA to include inverted y-axis support!