iPhone GamePress create, share, and play games on iPad.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by VPrime, Apr 2, 2013.

1. a2xvillian

a2xvillian Member

Nov 17, 2011
    i have small background in game design and programming and i love the concept. id love to take a look at your app. is there any way i can get a test build? currently using the ipad mini

2. VPrime

VPrime Well-Known Member

#82 VPrime, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    If you go to UI mode (on the top tool bar) you can manually add buttons. select a button, and tap behaviours, then on the inputs category drag on started touching.

We'll look into the crashing of the eraser tool formt he image importer.
    Can you post the exact steps you did to reproduce the crash? Also possibly PM me the picture you're trying to import.
    Thanks.

Double checked testflight, you are on. It is going to the email you private messaged me. You can just log in to testflight and it will let you download the build :)

Put a timer (located in custom category) on "Move to Object.. We're also working on a behaviour to make this more simple.

Send me a PM with your email, I will add you to testflight. As soon as we get a new build up you can access it.

Edit:
    Also if you're having any crashes or major issues with your game, upload the game and tell us which game it is so we can look into it easier. You can tap an hold a game icon in the "my games" screen, tap the "i" icon, and add some notes/comments to let us (and other users) know this game is broken.

Also, you can add feedback/comments through testflight as well.

3. waffer15

waffer15 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #83 waffer15, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    Okay. So what I did was import a picture. I picked erase. And when I started to draw to erase the image. Nothing happened. And then the app crashed. But the problem could be that I have ios 7, which is pretty unstable. The app is great so far. I am making a cool zombie top down shooter. I will see if I can pm you the picture
    also, something i think you should add.a behaviour that you can use so that when something enters a certain radius around an object, you can make it do things. like i could make a zombie, only come after me when i am in a certain radios. and another thing. make it so a character can follow another character. at the moment. the character only follows to your last known position. it is possible to make it keep following you but it is harder and the speed of the character following you changes because you have to set a time, and that time will be the time taken to get to your last known position, so if you are close to the zombie, it will go slow, but if you are further away, it goes really fast. so what I'm saying is you should create a new rule that helps this be easy. or add a option to the follow object rule that says how fast the object will move, not how long it will take to get there.

thanks. by the way, this app is probobly my favourite app in the world. i have been waiting and waiting for an app like this for i dont even know how long. finally you guys do what no one else could. you guys are the best, keep up the extraordinary work

4. killerham

killerham Member

Jul 3, 2013
    #84 killerham, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    Hey waffer15,

I'm one of the developers of GamePress, and I just played Zombie Town. I'm blown away... your game is so awesome!

Some tips:
    - maybe make the blood stains passable so you can walk through them
    - in some areas the grass tiles aren't uniform, you can use the snap tool to line them up (press and hold move tool to show this option
    - also, you can set a default screen by going to properties-> swipe left on the pages two times->and choosing a position
    - you can make use of groups, so instead of individually adding a collide for all your zombies, you could have done only one. To do this:
    -> go to the main editor
    -> select each zombie
    -> select groups on the object properties
    -> add the group to each of the zombies
    -> go a collided behaviour in the behaviours screen
    -> go to groups
    -> select the group you added to all the zombies
    -> add the same group to all the behaviours you want to affect the collided zombie with

If this is confusing, let me know!

- Hamed

5. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    #85 waffer15, Jul 3, 2013
    Thank you so much. I can't believe you like my game. I was pretty proud of it. I knew it wasn't done, but I was anxious to put it out there for people. I will update it with some of your inputs. I didn't know how to use groups or what they were used for, so I will defiantly try and follow you instructions.
    Also I was just wondering if you guys could try and add an easier way for objects to follow other objects. Like when they walk into a certain radios of my character, they will start following. I made a little ai game where the zombies would follow me but they would go at different speeds and they would also follow me from the other side of the map. So if you guys could try and work on something like that, it would greatly improve this app. You don't have to do this it is just a suggestion. Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

Edit: I tried what you said with the groups.. But it only worked with two zombies. Can you explain it in a little more detail again please. Thanks.

Edit 2: never mind I was shooting the zombie that had all the behaviours stored. So when I shot the other zombies it wouldn't work because the behaviours were gone.

6. killerham

killerham Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the kind words!

In terms of there being an easier way of accomplishing the radius I agree. But in the mean time, there is a couple of ways of doing this!

Easier More Visual Way (Tedious, doesn’t work with spawn):
    You can make a collidable circle shape that causes your zombies to chase the player. To do this:
    • First add an empty object graphic from the custom category.
    • Next create a custom shape for the empty object by going tapping on the empty object, then selecting collisions from the object properties.
    • When you accept the collision, notice that your empty object took shape to the circle and is now probably white. Change the color to be transparent if you want.
    • Move the circle on top of the player.
    • Now we want to attach the circle onto the player, so go to the behaviors, add a weld attach from the physics category and select the player and circle.
    • Then handle behaviors with the zombies and the circle, making it so that the zombies follow the player when it collided with the circle, and stop following when it stops colliding with the circle.

Harder Less Visual Way (More robust, works with spawn):
    You can make use of the calculate distance behavior to see if the zombie should follow the player. To do this:
    • On each zombie, add the calculate distance behavior (in logic category)
    • Choose the distance between the zombie and the player
    • Throw on a timer with a 0 second delay
    • Plug the timer into the calculate distance behavior
    • Add an if behavior
    • When tapping on the if behavior, notice how something popped up on the calculate distance behavior, drag your finger from that popup onto one of the fields in the if behavior
    • On the other field choose a desired distance to start following the player
    • So now just add your behaviors to follow the player into the if behavior

If anything is confusing let me know!

- Hamed

7. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    #87 waffer15, Jul 3, 2013
    Wow! Thanks for the tutorial there. That really helped alot. I will make a zombie town 2 where the zombies actually follow you. In the mean time, I am trying to spawn the blood spatter when the group zombies are killed. But whenever I pick the group zombies it tells the program to spawn the group on the blood. How do I get it to spawn the blood on the group. Thanks you have been much help to making my games better.

Edit: hi, I did the first suggestion and my character won't move. What I did was Make a character an a zombie. A gave my character a joystick control. Then I made the custom circle, made it transparent. I went into the circles rules and welded it to the character. When I hit test, my character won't move. Am I doing something wrong

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sounds like you might need to change the circle's collision or physics, I think there's an option to change if the to glued objects can collide with each other.
    I had the same problem when trying to attach a weapon.

9. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    #89 waffer15, Jul 3, 2013
    I found where it said if the two objects can collide. It was turned off so I have no idea what the problem is. if anyone has any ideas can you please help. Anyways. Check out my game zombie town, it's pretty cool. I'm gonna make another one with zombies that follow you and animated legs. I was gonna add them to zombie town 1 but it was to glitchy because the map is too big. Thanks.

Edit: I figured it out. I had the circle as Imovable. I didn't have physics on. If anyone else if having this problem all you need to do is have physics and passable on.

10. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    I just uploaded zombie house. It's a new zombie game with walking animations and zombies that follow you. Please tell me what you think. And even some things you would like me to change. The shooting is a little wacky at the moment and I can't figure out why. So if you have any ideas, please post here.
    Thanks

11. killerham

killerham Member

Jul 3, 2013
    #91 killerham, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    Hey waffer15,

We found a very big bug thanks to your game so we are going to have to pull it out of the arcade for now. Once we get the latest build to you, you have to re-add the pictures for your walking animation. Thanks!

Edit:
    You can fix it and re upload your game by doing the following:
    1. Go to the graphic chooser and import all the graphics you need for your animations
    2. remove all your animation frames from your animation1 object
    3. re-add your animation frames

Then it should work!

Sorry for the inconvenience!

12. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    What was the really big bug that you found.

13. killerham

killerham Member

Jul 3, 2013
    You imported graphics from another game but we didn't handle the import properly. It caused the app to crash whenever your guy walked.

14. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    #94 waffer15, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    Oh okay. A question. Are you guys working on a way where it's possible for us to sell our games. Or if we are a developer, just download the IPA and we can upload it to apple ourselves. Because if we can do that, that would make this app, that much more amazing. Also I am having a problem with my zombie house game as you will see. When you rotate the body and it shoots. The bullet goes in wacky places. Can you help me out here or is there nothing I can do.

Edit: I reap loaded the images and re did the animations. It never did crash for me. So I think someone eels should see if it works now.

15. killerham

killerham Member

Jul 3, 2013
    If you are a developer, you will be able to sell your games in the future, but not for launch. We are still working on making that as simple as possible!

In regards to your shooting issue, that was actually a bug which has been fixed, so don't worry about making any changes to your game.

16. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    #96 waffer15, Jul 5, 2013
    Is there a way to make a object patrol in a square motion. Like not just up and then come back. So the object moves up, left down right ? Also. What time zone are you guys on. Where do you guys work out of. Because I don't know when the best time to ask questions is,

17. killerham

killerham Member

Jul 3, 2013
    #97 killerham, Jul 5, 2013
    You can make use of the move/ move to behaviours in the motion category, but you have to handle the animations (FX Category) and rotations (Graphics Category) yourself.

Our schedules are pretty broken right now so we are awake at weird times. But normally we are Eastern Time.

18. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    Okay so I am making this Gta like game and I am having trouble. Is there anyway for me to just group the cars up so they have the same behaviours but I can get in each car and it will only control only that one. Because I put two cars into groups and I set up the behaviours for the group. But when I get in one car, it controls the other one as well. it's because the are on the same joystick. Do I have to make a separate joystick for each car, and make the other ones go away when I'm not using that car. Because then I would need to make ten joysticks. Please help.

19. RathcoM

RathcoM Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Hi Waffer,

Make a Collided behavior, where Object A is your player, and Object B is your car group. Then make a Joystick Controlled behavior for your car group, and connect them.

A picture of what I’m talking about can be found here:

[​IMG]

When you have an event like Collided that has a group, and you have an action like Joystick Controlled on a group, the specific object that generated that event is the only object that will be affected by that action. So when your player collides with the car, the joystick controlled will be passed to that car that your player collided with and it will stop controlling the previous car!

Let me know how that works for you!

- Behroz

20. waffer15

Jun 24, 2013
    It works when I'm collided but I want my guy to dissapear and stay with the car.