iPhone Games Workshop’s® Talisman® - (by Thumbstar/Nomad Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 14, 2013.

1. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I like the icon on the first page, other than the big red star. What's up with that?

2. jaxon58

jaxon58 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    That's Thumbstar's logo. They're the publisher.

3. tarasis

Jun 20, 2011
    Ah, don't know them. Didn't realise it was coming via a publisher. Thanks.

4. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Any idea on the file install size? I want to be ready to play this as soon as possible, and I'll need to do some deleting.

Thanks in advance!

5. jaxon58

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    Pretty small! It's currently around 125MB in size.

6. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Excellent! Thank you for the information. :)

7. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    So it's like playing with myself? :p

8. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Watch "WTF is Talisman Prologue" on Youtube and you may find playing with yourself a tad boring...

The good news is that a full multiplayer version of Talisman is supposed to follow this prologue release, so if you can hold your horses till then...

9. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    In my experience this never gets boring ;)

10. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Come on Wednesday night, I'm pretty excited to finally get my hands on this. This is easily going to be my one and only GotW pick. :D

11. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I posted this over at Pocket Tactics also, but I think it warrants saying the same thing here also for all the folks that have never experienced Talisman.

I've been playing the PC version of Prologue since it came out last November. It's enjoyable in its own right as long as you know what you're getting.

As mentioned nearly everywhere, it's single player focused by being quest driven ("Get to this space, buy an "X", kill three "Ys", and then get to that space"), with the "scoring" system being driven by how many turns it takes you to complete the quest. Those with Talisman experience probably already see the flaw in the scoring system - being that everything you do is determined about 80% by luck, how well you "score" is determined by how in favor you are with the dice gods. Honestly, the best target for this game are people that have yet to experience Talisman and want to see what it's all about. It does a good job of showing you how the game works and how the different characters can benefit your play style. It seems like a good warm up for the proper Talisman multiplayer game - though I'm still curious how a multiplayer Talisman game is going to work on a tablet, seeing how it's not unusual for a live game to last 3 or 4 hours.

That being said, I've still had a good bit of fun with it, and having this game on a tablet makes more sense than PC, due to it being more well suited for few minute sessions on and off. If the port is good, then it will have nice production values for a tablet game - the art from the 4th edition is conveyed nicely.

12. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Just curious if at some point you can play the game without any missions, just the normal board game but solo?

13. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I haven't "finished" everything the PC version has to offer, but as far as I can tell it is all just mission based (5 missions for each of the 10 characters), so there's no "freestyle" mode where you just play a regular solo game. Honestly though, I don't know how much fun just playing a solo game of Talisman would actually be, unless it was just to see how many turns it would take you to complete.

14. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'm going buy it regardless, I was just hoping to play the game even if only solo before the full version game comes out, hopefully it is released later this summer.

15. jaxon58

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    There is a non-mission mode, which unlocks later on in the game. It's the kind of 'free play' mode you're asking about.

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Not a rant against Talisman Prologue, but why do developers love to lock stuff that need unlocking?

17. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Hopefully it isn't hard to unlock as it's probably what I will spend the most time playing. Thanks for answering my question.

18. tarasis

Jun 20, 2011
    It's out in New Zeland, looking forward to it hitting Germany

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Because we are but humble users and all developers know better than us.

Seriously, It really is a kick in the teeth. I love board games but part of the joy of board gaming comes from the freedom of playing how you like.

If I grabbed my nearest board game (in my case Dungeon Twister: Prison) I can play 2 player VS, Solitaire with Card AI enemies, or run through a scenario.

To imagine one of those modes being locked until I beat another mode is ludicrous. W
    Board Games are already a niche market, why alienate the players you do get by forcing them to complete a mode with an arbitrary scoring system?

20. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I do agree here.

Devs, can you please chime in?

I think ALL of these board Games should be designed for us to change the gameplay to our liking. Why not let us choose all the rules we want? Specify handicaps, change the various rules and little tidbits here and there.

But that's the way it always rolls.