iPhone Games Workshop’s® Talisman® - (by Thumbstar/Nomad Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 14, 2013.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    House Rules! I'm sure all those variables would drive devs crazy though.

You know what would be amazing though? If developers went on BGG and checked out the most popular game variants. Not only would they get an idea of the most popular things that are house ruled but it would also start discussion and hype of the game itself.

Advertising and free dev advice all at once!

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

YES!!

I have to say that regardless of what the one big WTF review had to say, this is fun as hell.

I can't wait for the multiplayer aspect, but with the syncing snd universal awesomeness, there's a lot of awesome to be had.

3. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    To be fair they aren't the only company who do it, Ravensburger also lock game modes (in some games) until you've played it a bit and show you understand the rules.

That's kind of the same here, you do the missions and show you know what your doing before apparently being able to play a Solo mode. For their point of view that's fair enough is that don't want newbies getting a bad impression by just jumping straight into a solo game and feeling like they are drowning.

As to the house release idea, while that would be wonderful (and I'd love the chance to unnerf the Raiders so they take everything) it would be an extremely complex thing for them or anyone to do. It means exposing the internals in a user friendly way, would increase support needs and leave you in situations like: was it a bug or did the user mess with the game mechanics?

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Clearly you know nothing of my work ;) I've railed on EVERY board game dev for their mistakes from USM to Playdek. I take my board games seriously :p

You're right in that there are plenty of other devs that lock things but there's a big difference... They don't lock the core game. I have over 60 board games installed right now and not one of them locks the core game until I beat some secondary mode.

Take it Easy has single player, multiplayer, progressive (locked), and puzzle (locked) modes. You play the core game and if you're good enough you unlock puzzle, if you're good at puzzle you unlock progressive.

You play the core game and unlock secondary modes or mini games. You aren't supposed to play mini games to unlock the core game.

Prologue is a little special in that the solitaire mode is all you get, we're just talking about a scored and free play mode. However the scored mode is based on pure luck with the score being based the dice rolling in your favor, it's an idiotic idea and I have no interest in it. Yet you're forced to play it if you want to play without it...

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Actually, you can play without it. Just get the full multiplayer Talisman game when it is finally released, but wait, they might lock the multiplayer mode until you 3 star all the Prologue levels...

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I think we all need to know what that entails and when EXACTLY it unlocks before we can lob any other complaints.

As for the other issues, Talisman is Talisman. It's a game that is ONLY about luck. If you have any aversion to that game type, this isn't the game for you. There's an infinitesimal chunk of strategy that lies within the game, but you can build a great character to only have it all be whisked away in one turn.

It's far more fun to play Solo than I expected, I have complete confidence Multiplayer will exist shortly. Until then, I get to play with many different classes and explore the world of Talisman.

It's a lot less than some board games, but I don't pick up and play a game of Yahtzee expecting to get Pandemic. It serves its purpose incredibly well and for now, it plays on some great strengths. Hell, if nothing else this will hold me over until Eclipse and the Leviathan Warship game! ;)

7. jaxon58

jaxon58 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    To unlock the 'free play' mode, all you need to do is finish each character's quests, even if you do badly.

I'm the designer of this game and I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have, just go easy on me please!

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Any plans for Game Center? Achievements/leaderboards

9. jaxon58

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    Good question.
    As a really small team, who've funded this ourselves, we really want to see how it's received before we start adding features. If it sells well then we'll certainly support it with extra stuff.

My intention is to have each character's 'Total Score' as a value we can grab for future leaderboards. Achievements would be great too, and we've had some great ideas for achievements from the members of our forum.

Currently number one in the iPad board game and RPG chart! Thanks for everyone's support so far!

Carl

10. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
  11. rcxdeez

rcxdeez Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2013
    buffalo, ny
    Definitely hoping this one gets well supported and expanded by the dev, but really enjoying it in the mean time. $5 well spent!

12. jaxon58

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
  13. samiaeg

samiaeg New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    http://www.nile7.com
    http://www.nile7.com
    #113 samiaeg, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    me too

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    ^^ its not an incomplete game, just because there's no AI,
    It's just like playing a solo card game like "space hulk - death angel" is the only one I play, for example.
    The AI isn't needed because you getting your enemy's etc from a shuffled deck of cards so you don't know what you might be fighting next turn When you draw the next card. It's not easy to explain but its a finished game. Think of it as the AI is the cards.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Very true, normally these upcoming threads get locked when the game is released but I felt that moving this discussion to the release thread was doing the game a dis service.

As much as I dislike the scoring idea I really love playing Talisman (and Relic!) so I'm waiting for the Multiplayer release. I'd hate for this discussion to put people off the game, especially since I haven't actually played this version so I have no way to form an unbiased opinion based solely on content and gameplay.

If the dev would like this thread closed or specific info added to the OP of either thread I'm more than happy to do it.

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #116 ojtitus, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    My comment was not aimed at you or jaxon, I was really just encouraging everyone to join the discussion in the main thread.

The scoring system is actually really well implemented by the fact that as long as you complete the objectives of the mission and survive you will unlock one mission for that character and one for another character. So your score has nothing to do with the actual unlocking part of the game. So It doesn't matter if you score well or not to unlock stuff, the score is strictly for the challenge. It really is a fun single player experience of the game.