Universal Gangstar Vegas - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    :eek: downloading...

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree with Vovin's points on Gameloft pay models. Now on to testing the game!!!

3. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #43 Exact-Psience, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Crashed on startup on me too.

Will try again...

EDIT: Crashed twice now. Will now try clearing cache and hard booting...

EDIT2: Still crashes. Airplane mode and it works fine. Playing now.

Initial impressions. Looks so friggin good. Sounds are well integrated. First mission was a blast to play.

The bad? On my minipad, framerate seems to take a hit, especially when there is smoke effects. Also, when the characters talk to each other during cutscenes, they dont open their mouths. I know this is how it is in most game, but it feels awkward seeing how good the game looks and then their good looking, high-pixel count faces are just actually pasted on their heads.

Another bad, which is what i would consider THE WORST PART... No dynamic v-stick for movement, which is totally surprising after Gameloft's great controls in MC, NOVA and even their other 3PS games.

EDIT: Ah.. it is semi dynamic vstick. Not so bad now that i figured it out. I still prefer the invisible stick that center's wherever you touch.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    EP, can't wait for your first imps. Hope it is much better than the last Gangstar... Rio.

And try the things I wrote to get around, if it is the GC login bug.

5. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Hiw much RAM does the iPad Mini have? Did you clear your cache?

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The iPad Mini has 512 mb ram. It is quite literally an iPad 2 in a smaller box.

7. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Logging out of GC also works.
    Anyway, I'm thinking about requesting a refund from Apple. The framerate sucks on iPhone 4S, both while playing and in cutscenes. From what I played, Vice City is still the best.

8. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I'm still waiting to hear if Vegas has people in it or did it release as we see in the launch trailer? The city looks empty. Is it?

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#50 Sanuku, Jun 7, 2013
    There are People, Cars, Bikers,...Ctizen that are Fighting and other Stuff happening on the Streets while you are running around in the City.

10. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Damn, i already lost 25.000 on the slots & blackjack table in fremont street!!
    It sure is vegas :D

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It doesnt seem like a memory issue, as turning airplane mode active allowed me to play the game. Well, maybe a memory issue, but still...

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Sanuku, I'm presuming you're on an iPad 4. Did you have the Airplane mode/crash bug thing?

13. gNades

gNades Member

Oct 11, 2012
    I have the same problem on iphone 5 32gb

14. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    On the fence on whether to pick this up now or later. Any impressions about the IAPs? Gameloft's recent reputation with DH4 and other recent releases left me a deep gaping wound

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Whoa, Gangstar got a stealth release? What happened to the dev diaries? This is such a break from the usual stuff...but I'm not complaining. Downloading! :D

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    This looks great. Sadly, can't spare the space nor do I have sufficient iTunes credit at the time. Soon.

17. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#58 killercow, Jun 7, 2013
    Wow the framerate seems pretty bad... And i'm assuming that those videos were taken from an ipad 4?

18. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I never buy Gameloft games anymore as a rule and have deleted all I had off my ipad. I find that almost all their games have lag caused by being over enthusiastic about the graphics at the expense of smooth gameplay. Things like smoke and a lot of action and explosions in Gameloft games tend to lag and spoil the fun. So I've basically banned their games from my device as I can't enjoy it when there's constant lag. On ipad 3 I always had lag so although using an ipad 4 now I'm not wasting anymore money.. They have to learn to make gameplay a priority. They tend to over extend the hardware with the graphics causing poor frame rates.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My only issues with the game are with controls. I need the dynamic vstick demmet. And the sprint button, when pressed and you suddenly hit a railing from the top of a build, you basically just watch yourself jump off a building.

I guess i can "get used" to the controls, as the game plays really good, story and all.

But i still want my dynamic vstick.