Universal GBA4iOS: GBA Emulator, No Jailbreak needed, but set date before Feb 2014

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 19, 2014.

1. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    That sounds like a last resort maybe. I don't feel comfortable about paying for a service like that. I'm not sure what jailbreak options are for iOS 7.0, but I think I'd rather go that route if it came to it.

I set my date to "automatic" and re-downloaded the app from the site you mentioned. It works, and Dropbox syncing works too! The sound is still choppy, but if I set the frame skip to 1, it's better. I remember not having to set that before, but I'm thinking I may have been playing on a 5S back then... the latest save on Dropbox is from 2014, so I would have had the 5S by then.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I wish I could get iOS 7 back on my 5S, but I can handle the 4S. This app is only secondary to my desire to run an older iOS device; my primary goal is app preservation for games that don't run anymore in iOS 9/10.

2. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    Gba4ios

I try the link but get "404page not found"message.

3. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    I still use this on my iPhone SE on IOS 10 and it runs fine. I got it though the build store for £10 and I don't have to do any date trick to make it work, also syncs to dropbox fine and I've not had any speed issues or sound problems.

Well worth the price to me.

On a side note it works flawless with a MFI controller, making playing platform and racing games easy

4. putermcgee

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    Ooohhh if it works on the SE (my current phone), then maybe I'll consider that build store. Is that a one time thing, or just as long as you want to get new stuff over time?

Also, I checked jailbreak options for my 5S, and luckily, I never updated past 9.3.2. Found an article from August about that being finally able to jailbreak, so pretty recently it seems. I was able to do it within the phone's Safari browser, so no need for a computer even! Once jailbroken, installing gba4ios was a breeze. No date trick, Dropbox syncs, and no sound issues either.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    From iEmulators, the build store can be accessed from the upper right hand corner. It is $10/year. They keep it signed and working perfectly. Totally worth it for the peace-of-mind that it's always working and syncing.

6. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I went via that build dot io too, and had a good year. Won't subscribe again, as I have too many other things to play, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

7. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    You get 1 year for your money as a one time payment, which you can renew each year if you want to.

8. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I used to have back in the change the date days and once that got killed I gave it up

Tried it today cuz now I have a much better device and it won't download I know two truested sites that I have gotten it from before including their main one
    Both say unable to download after it starts downloading
    Ok I see what's up so go to build Store and pay for a year does this actually work good w 10 if so I will pay up

9. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    The Build Store definitely works, and it's a great service. Up to you whether to subscribe again after a year - so it won't keep pulling $10 from you every year unless you choose to pay.

10. putermcgee

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    If you don't re-up, does the app stop working right away (at the end of your year)? If you pay again after letting it relapse, do the same apps start working again? For example, if you stop your subscription to PS+, your free games stop working, but then work if you subscribe again later.

11. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I imagine it would stop working after it gets signed again in order to continue working for everyone else. But I doubt it will stop the moment your year would be up.

12. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    If you mean does it work with IOS 10 then it works fine for me on my iPhone SE and so does the mega drive and SNES emulators in the build store, which are all include for the price if you want them. I didn't put it on my iPad as I want to use a mfi controller which also works fine on IOS 10 as it did on IOS 9.3

Hope this helps:)

13. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Good to know! I didn't think this worked on iOS 10.