Universal GBA4iOS: GBA Emulator, No Jailbreak needed, but set date before Feb 2014

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I connected a dualshock 3 to the emulator with controllers for all but the controls were all wonky.

2. BRAINIAC4200

BRAINIAC4200 New Member

Feb 4, 2014
    I think it should be fine until it gets pulled. Don't turn the volume up all the way it sounds shitty

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Am I missing the original Zelda or is it not available? I got Link and Minnish Cap. Played some Mario 3 and it was pretty smooth. My only complaint is that sometimes my left thumb hits the shoulder button instead of the d-pad. Other than that my NES-iOS fantasies are coming true... finally.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Afaik Zelda I & II were only on the NES.

5. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    They were both released on the GBA as part of the 'Classic NES' series.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I have the same issue on my 4S. Don't get an error. Just installs then goes gray then tap it again and it just installs again and again.

7. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Same thing was happening here. I changed the date to 2013 and it installed first time. You can put the date back again after.

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    If you read the instructions on the site re:- setting date, then it would work? :rolleyes:

9. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    #69 Capricornman, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    On the ChinaVDI website translated to English , if you look at their partners there is an Apple logo in their "Solution Partners" list.......very interesting isn't it?!? Lol

10. Duckster

Duckster Active Member

May 30, 2012
    Works great for me. The only problem is that the music is working for every game I downloaded except for SMB3. Classic black & white Gameboy games look amazing on my ipad mini. Playing some Revenge of the Gator pinball:)

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #71 awp69, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Thanks. That worked.

I stupidly read one of the comments in the TA article that said you didn't need to reset the date.

Anyway, fired it up and, wow, I've used some Android emulators but this is the slickest and easiest I think I've ever used. Anxious to play some more to see if there's any issues but overall, I'm more than impressed.

12. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Don't forget the Game and Watch Gallery Series. (including Donkey Kong and Mario)

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    When it works, it works great! But I've had it freeze up on me five times now...

14. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    Best app I've downloaded for iOS! Uses up a lot of memory but awesome app.

15. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Doesn't work on 7.1 beta iphone 5. FAQ on dev's site says it should, but it just crashes back to springboard for me.

16. mcorleonep

mcorleonep Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Ok, I downloaded this for mainly one reason; Mother 3. It's available in the browser but not the English translation. I've played this with the fan-made English patch on my laptop but I'd much rather play this on my portables. Anyone figure this one out?

17. parabola_master

parabola_master Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    How do you download GBC games? I assume I have to find them from a different website than the one in the app?

Which emulator runs the GBC games? Is it GBA4iOS also?

18. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Will I go to jail or get arrested if i do this cause it says "you are saying you have a actually copy of this pirate" or something??? I'm only 17 remember guys

19. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    Interesting...

Per MacNN's top story ATM:

"Apple quickly revokes hijacked certificate for GBA emulator"

updated 08:41 pm EST, Wed February 19, 2014

Former jailbroken software bypasses App Store, poses security risk

A former "unofficial" app that required jailbreaking an iOS device to run its Game Boy emulator has attempted to "backdoor" its way onto non-jailbroken devices by hijacking a legitimate certificate, which has now been disabled by Apple. The app, GBA4iOS 2, offered emulation of Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games on iOS 7 devices, and included a built-in browser to allow users to pirate ROMs.

Improper certificate seen on installation
    <<image>>

The certificate used by the developer traces back to a Beijing company, presenting potential security risks. The previous version worked around security restrictions by requiring users to both jailbreak their devices and set the internal clock back to a date in 2012, but the 2.0 release required neither, exploiting the hijacked enterprise distribution certificate instead and installed through a direct download link.

Despite this, many users reported that the app failed to install properly or work. It is possible that the software carries other payloads beyond its emulation ability, which would explain the rationale of using a repurposed certificate rather than keeping it as an unofficial app available through the usual jailbreaking app repositories.

Several emulator apps have snuck into the official App Store, usually by pretending to be other types of applications. Once discovered, Apple has routinely pulled such apps for violations of its rules. The company has since disabled the enterprise certificate the GBA4iOS developers hijacked, and may take further action depending on how it was obtained.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/14/02/19/former.jailbroken.software.bypasses.app.store.poses.security.risk/#ixzz2tpVyXaaS

20. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    They are downloaded within the app. Tap the + button.