Universal GBA4iOS: GBA Emulator, No Jailbreak needed, but set date before Feb 2014

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    #101 Onikage725, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Some great suggestions already, so I'll add a few.

Super Robot Wars Original Generation 1 and 2
    Basically Fire Emblem meets Advance Wars, with giant robots.

Super Robot Wars Judgement
    Never released in English, but there is a fully translated patch. Unlike the Original Generation games, this has characters and mechs from anime (Mazinger Z, Gundam SEED, Tekkaman Blade, Nadesico, etc)

Golden Sun 1 and 2
    Classic-style RPGs with their own twist. Kinda reminds me of a cross between Lufia and Final Fantasy. Also, beating part 1 gives you a code to import data to part 2. Eat your heart out, BioWare.

Fire Emblem is great. It's really Fire Emblem 7, and a prequel. FE 6 was the first gba game, never released here. But, it's been fan translated, something like 98% (some stuff required graphical hacking hey didn't want to bother with, but in-game story and menus are fully playable). Also, FE 8 (Sacred Stones) is really good.

Mega Man Zero 1-4, or mega Man & Bass if you like things more classic.

The Castlevania titles play fairly well. Aria of Sorrow is the popular choice, though my fav of the bunch is Circle of the Moon.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Take the basic idea of FFT, with a plot reminiscent of The Neverending Story and a touch of FF 9's ability system.

If you prefer a more serious take, Tactics Ogre : The Knight of Lodis. Tactics Ogre was the spiritual precursor to FFT, and unlike FFTA, it's gba spinoff (prequel, actually) maintains the mature tone.

Pokemon! You have the core games (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, FireRed/LeafGreen), and also dozens of hacks. One of my favorites is Liquid Crystal. It's an upgraded recreation of Crystal for gbc. So, Basically, it's SoulSilver but on gba.

Since this baby also plays gb games-

Shantae!
    Awesome retro style platformer/adventure title. The first one was for gbc.

Dragonball Z Legendary Super Warriors
    Kind of weird card-based RPG/fighter. Quirky, but fun.

Mega Man extreme 1 and 2. Ya know, if you don't have an snes emu on hand for the real thing.

Metal Gear Solid
    You'll be surprised how similar the gameplay is to the PSX title (it's not a port, mind you, but an original story). Mainly because MGS focused on the graphics and acting, but the gameplay was very similar the MSX originals. The GBC game plays somewhere between the two and is surprisingly deep.

Super Mario Land
    Because, of course.

Tetris.
    Always Tetris.

It's super pixelated. In fact, if you're jailbroken, it actually looks BETTER if you use RetinaPad to force it to read as an iPhone app in 2x mode. Very odd. I hope he can fix that, otherwise I'm likely going back to gba.emu.

2. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

No. I won't switch the date on my iOS devices. Never did that. I am not sure what that does. I have TONS of reminders, calendars and I can't risk that something goes screwed with such an action. Sorry.

3. Nyx1978

Nyx1978 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2013
    It does nothing weird, and you can set the date back to normal after installing the app.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Uh.. Really?

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    "It's super pixelated. In fact, if you're jailbroken, it actually looks BETTER if you use RetinaPad to force it to read as an iPhone app in 2x mode. Very odd. I hope he can fix that, otherwise I'm likely going back to gba.emu."

The GBA ROMs are copies of GBA games that were designed to be played on that small screen. Due to the fact that the iPad is like 8 times the size of that screen, how could we expect the games to all of a sudden be more crisp? They aren't retina games. They should be extremely pixelated. The emulator doesn't add pixels to ROMs.

6. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #106 Master Shake, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    I was going to write a huge list but that link pretty much covered it and more. I may add some GBC games later that weren't already mentioned. Dragon warrior monsters is a fun game similar to pokemon that I enjoyed a while ago.

7. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    On an unfortunate note, has anyone else had a problem with the music not playing in the Super Mario Advance 4 ROM? Is it the ROM or the emulator? I can hear some of the sound effects clearly and some are weird sounding, but no music.

I have another ROM on my old phone so I may try using that one later today.

8. Master Shake

Dec 24, 2008
    Someone mentioned that before and I also have strange sounds occurring.

9. ThaliaKleio

ThaliaKleio Active Member

Nov 28, 2013
    this is the first emulator i've downloaded and im really impressed with it so far, i can replay the games that I loved as a child :) i've downloaded emerald as it was the top pokemon but which one would you guys recommend? i've never really played pokemon before so I don't know what to expect from each version (other than different pokemons)

10. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    How to get the dropbox sync to work?

11. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yup. Just checked my older emu and rom and its the same sounds and no music. Must be this version of the rom. On to find a better one!

12. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Okay, maybe I'm being dumb but.. Why would you need Dropbox when the games load from the browser?

13. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    LOVING this! Couple questions though:

1. How do you direct the in-app browser to another rom site besides the default?

2. How do you download skins from within the app?

14. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    1. I had to tap on their twitter like button near the bottom of the page, search on twitter for another rom site like doperoms or romnation, and then click on a link in someone's tweet, and then search that site for the rom I want. It didn't download correctly though, so I don't know if they will work from other sites.

15. TheCurrentGamer

TheCurrentGamer Well-Known Member

Holy crap!!!!

This alone made it worth checking out!!!!

Awesome!!

Attached Files:

16. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    You can also browse in Safari and direct it to open the rom in GBA4iOS.

I used this method to find a better Mario 3 rom without sound issues.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Anyone know how to delete a ROM from the interface? All I get is to rename. Or do we need to use something like iFunBox to do it.

18. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Anyone know if iCade is supported and if so, did you get it working?

19. Master Shake

Dec 24, 2008
    Just swipe to the left on the name of the rom

20. kapshin

kapshin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    KC, MO
    Just swipe like on an email.