Universal Gemini Strike (by Armor Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Yes, relative touch controls would be a great addition. But controls are totally fine right now, I'm currently in sector 8.4 and I'm having a blast. For a freemium game this shmup is amazing! Production is great with a fantastic adaptive soundtrack. And I looove the sound design, seriously, it's really well done. The writing is nice as well and makes me want to see what's coming next. I didn't come to any paywall yet, although I was afraid to see it come early. So far, the game is tons of fun.

Only minor thing: the obsticle level without shooting is always the same, so, as soon as you know the layout it's a piece of cake, a bit boring.

But the shooting sectors are really intense with other player's ships appearing from time to time to help you. Absolutely love when that happens.

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I'm getting server connection issues now.
    Lost 2 lives after completing missions because of them and had the timer for a life stop at 1 second then not give me the life after it reset.
    I had been enjoying this, to some extent, if server issues persist I'm not sure I'll be continuing with it.
    As others had mentioned, the controls leave a little to be desired. They are serviceable though. The graphics as a whole are very repetitive. Only a handful of ships and one stage backdrop.
    With that against it, it is still a decent game. The upgrades and loot are probably what has been keeping my interest so far.
    Hopefully they get their issues with servers sorted soon.

3. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Dam... Can't play this on an iPod Touch 4.

4. lancheta

lancheta Well-Known Member

May 20, 2012
    It says I have 2 items in inventory, I click on the items tab but they are nowhere to be found. Is this a glitch? Not even in inventory slots when I scroll to the left.

5. Xtiangodloki

Xtiangodloki New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    The game is pretty fun otherwise but there are tons of bugs. First, I am used to games which requires internet connections at this point but the game server often does not respond. This will upset people especially when they just finished a hard level. Yes you have the option to retry connection but often the server won't be up or a while. The other bug is the inventory and star map system. The icons do not appear, at least on my iPhone 5s. So I basically click on empty black boxes in the inventory to bring up items. The same with the starmap. I can't see the icons of the planets, just dark spots! I am kind if used to this now but it's a shame because other parts of the game such as animation and sound are so polished.

6. Nakor

Nakor Active Member

Apr 16, 2013
    At first glance, the game is great. It's fun and has great presentation. Unfortunately, after a little play it becomes apparent what this game is designed for. This game quickly becomes heavily balanced toward making you spend money. Add on the need for an internet connection and my opinion quickly went from "I might spend money on this" to "Screw this dirty money grab. Instant delete."

7. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Boring game with outdated graphix.

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Is that a joke?

Btw guys there is an offline mode. I specifically selected it because of server issues with ALL online apps. I'd rather have control over my game than rely on a stable server or stable reception.

Seems like the glitches might be related to a specific iOS version.

9. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    I must fully disagree. Yes the game ramps up a little but it can be done without spending money. I mean I'm only on the 3rd sector but I haven't spent a cent yet. The boss level of 2 was a pain in the ass but after a few tries I ended up beating him. I refuse to pay for a continue though if I die so I can save up my "credits" There is a TON of ships to buy also and the weapons and armors seen like a very refreshing change. They are upgradeable also which is super sweet.

All in all I give it 4-4.5 stars for a free game. The iAP isn't necessary.

10. magicmikezero

magicmikezero Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Eh. Ok. Needs new backgrounds and better controls. Still better than any game I ever made :)

11. Vestid

Vestid Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Really fun game. Hope it gets some publicity.

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm progressing slowly (I like grinding my favorite games) and so far the 2nd boss is the hardest boss encounter by far. The other hardest encounters are the Cargo / Bounty Hunt. You'll know when you play them. Later in the game, Cargo becomes even harder than the Bounty level.

I don't want to commend this game too much because that mean they'll try and "fix" it however they're generous with the premium currency even though at first it doesn't seem that way. I've got 6 ships now including the ultimate ship that's ridiculously powerful (I'm not even going to use it ever unless I'm bored).

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    How does a game make you spend money? At gunpoint? :eek:

14. Vestid

Vestid Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I also find it amusing that people praise difficult games like Wayward Souls but then complain about difficult games being a cash grab when they give you an optional way to bypass the difficulty. Just don't take the option and you have a free difficult game!

15. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    I like this game but I am encountering some glitches. The new ships page, the black market page and the power ups page are all black. Can't read anything. I hope it gets fixed in an update.

iPhone 5s 7.1.2

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I have to admit that this is my favorite go-to game! A fantastic free-to-play shmup. Currently struggling with the boss in sector 12.6.

I really like the online/social features. Having a friend's ship pop up in your game to help you is just cool. As well as earning gems for (passively) helping others in their games.

I would love to be able to pay for a gem doubler, devs, do you read?

Advice: Spend your credits for black market items and ignore the boxes you get in the stages. Those black market upgrades really power up your device, abd with those extras even more upgraded the game is just so much fun to play!

17. SuperFlowIV

SuperFlowIV Active Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Really enjoying this game, the IAP I think is expensive but actually wholly avoidable as the IAP currency is dished regularly enough for free. As mentioned the controls could do with a tiny tweak so the ship is a bit more further than the finger. The graphics and sound are really quite good and the gameplay challenging. This is a must have for shmup'rs for everyone else give it a go.

18. Infrarift

Infrarift Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Developer
    Perth, Australia
    Hi, everyone! I'm Krin and I am the lead developer on this game. We are a small team and this was our first own Unity and iPhone project so I didn't expect the game to get many plays. So I want to thank everyone for checking out the game!

I want to continue to improve the game for all its players, so I'm here to collect some feedback. I want to ask about the controls specifically.

To give you a background on the control system, it is something we spent many weeks developing. Trying every scheme from relative touch, tilt, joystick. The reason I chose this one was because overall (especially during later levels when it gets harder) it allowed you to move anywhere on the map without lifting the finger, and allows you to know you know where you are without 'seeing' the ship (since it is offset by a fixed amount to your finger).

However when the finger is moved closer to the bottom of the screen, the offset interpolates to zero, so that the player can make full use of the screen width - although this does mean that the ship will be hidden under the finger.

But I've seen a lot of you ask for better controls I need your help to understand the issues, and what you'd like to see added. Is it relative touch? Or maybe increase the offset from the finger so the ship can be seen easier?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

19. Prail

Prail Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I think the controls are great.

My only concern is the glitch where everything is black. The system map. Inventory, black market, ship buying screen etc, all show up as black and unreadable.

iPhone 5s latest iOS version.