Universal Gene Effect - (by Lightstorm3D)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 4, 2012.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

No need to run. I searched for the Developers Name before I did create this Thread. Mostly the Game Titles are spelled wrong but the Developer one is spelled right...

Leaving it completely out is a new One :(

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Holy crap what a surprise is this game!!!!
    I bought it tonight somewhat enjoying what I saw in the videos but I wasn't really expecting this awesomeness!!!
    Graphics and sounds are incredible....a nice Alien vibe while exploring the caves and watching for the sonar finding something unusual.
    Some vistas are awesome....like when you see in the background electrical discharges going deep into the unknown.

Things I didn't like (I really wish the devs are reading the thread...some things are really minor and easily patchable):

1) No device rotation...please add it. The game is really atmospheric played in the dark with headphones...and with them plugged it's difficoult to control the ship (controls in the game are JUST PERFECT).

2) Apparently no multitasking. The game loads so freaking fast (on iPhone 4S) you won't even notice BUT it doesn't seems to save mid mission...so if interrupted you have to restart.

3) PERSONAL PREFERENCE: I love adventures/exploring and hate scoring/stars/etc...so I would have preferred the game not segmented in missions with scores and the like.
    I can easily ignore all that as I do, but I think that I would have preferred an huge explorable world with cutscenes, not segmented as it is with briefings.
    But so the odience is broader and it's just my preference....I'm really enjoying it and I'm loving the briefing/story/chronicles readings...
    I would compare it to Aquaria and Waking Mars as experience and I highly recommend it.
    Graphics are insane.

BTW: on iPhone 4S if you enter the graphics settings there are bloom and lens flare effect disabled by default.
    I turned both on and noticed absolutely no slowdowns while the graphics is really AMAZING....but the second option (lens flare) do not stay turned on...a bug?
    Anither thing I noticed us that I found a relic on mission 4 or 5....but I coudn't found those in previous missions...despite having scanned EVERY PIXEL...I wonder if I have to return there with some new equipment or I just missed those...anyone?

Back to the game now....simply loving it.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I don't think there's relics in EVERY mission...

Could be wrong though...

also, yeah, it sucks that there's no multitasking. And... the lens flare does not stay on on my copy either, tried on both my 4th gen touch and my iPad 2...

But the lighting effects when turned on slowdown the 4th gen touch pretty bad.

BTW, figured out what I was doing wrong on mission 9... =oP

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I might pick this up in a week when it goes down to a buck or two. And almost definitely will if it doesn't.

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ah, talked to the dev, and there are no randomized levels. The randomized levels means that the energy orb thingys are hidden in different areas and behind different rocks each time you play the level.

=o/

Was really wondering how they would pull off a random level generator with graphics and level design like this...

I feel pretty stupid. =oP

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    In the briefing it tells how many relics/artifact you can find...and I missed TONS :(
    But some levels are short and I scanned EVERY PIXEL.
    Loving the story for far...well...loving the game in general :)
    On iPhone 4S with all turned on I can't notice any slowdowns, and I must confess they really add to global atmosphere.
    Invite the dev here!!!

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well....I wondered the same thing :p
    Graphics is too good to be random generated.

Nice mission variation I'm finding now...soooo good!!!

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I am actually really enjoying this too, but I haven't had a chance to play much beyond the first couple of levels. It's just gorgeous on the 4S.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Well, they never said randomized levels, the just said "randomly generated level CONTENT". From that, I understood that it was the contents of the level which were randomly scattered around, not the level itself :) Btw, for those of you waiting for the game to go down a buck or two, what stops you from buying it now? Com'on, support the devs with their current price request. It's not like buying a car, I'm sure if you can afford buying it for two bucks, you can do the same with four bucks. The game deserves it.

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yeah...you will see around mission 6-9...the story really picks up too.
    Do you have the 'lens flares' bug too?
    The game is really gorgeous, yes, and I'm loving the sounds too.
    Wind in particular...
    The game oozes quality and little touches too...in certain dark environments you can even spot the lightray the ship has in the front hull...amazing.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Seconded...if everyone hope a game doesn't sell well hoping for a whopping 1-2 dollars price reduction...we would never ever have more high quality games.
    And this one oozes quality.
    I really do not know how many mission are there...but I highly reccomend it even if I really do not like the lack of multitask and rotation (sadly an increasing trend with iOS/Android multi platform games).

12. I liked the part when you flew around and collected things, and then the level was completed. Is no depth at all a new thing in gaming?

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No. Neither is trolling, particularly by folks who know nothing about the game they're talking about.

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Another 2 solid hours more played.
    I really do hope quality will maintain at this level of awesomeness....it's a masterpiece!!!
    I'm really digging the story so far.
    The game really needs to be able to save state mid levels tough...they are getting pretty big and complex and take a lot of time especially if you want to explore everything.
    I'm really surprised this came out of nowhere...a bit more marketing and exposure and it will be surely a hit.
    Technically it really delivers on every compartment, at least on a 4S.
    Back exploring.

15. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Watching gameplay video, he's pretty much right on the mark. Looks like something that would interest me personally, but it's obviously not everyone's bag.

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Couldn't agree more... I just stage 13 and am TOTALLY immersed in this one. Huge levels, FANTASTIC story, awesome graphics, great atmosphere and animations (those blue plants that hide when you fly by them... And the lightning backgrounds!.. AWESOME)

Really, this is definitely one of my contenders for GOTY. I don't think many others will stick with me like this one will.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #37 syntheticvoid, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    delete

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    he... he... heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

went back and found all of the relics in the first 5 missions, as well as 3 artifacts. Can't believe I'm gonna have to replay the game searching for these things. =oD

But it all gave the game 100 more badass points. =oD

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^And with that im buying the game.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    He was making a trollish assumption that a 4 minute video contains the totally of gameplay of a multi-hour game. So no, he was not "right on the mark."