Universal Gene Effect - (by Lightstorm3D)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 4, 2012.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thank you for coming here and bringing great news!
    And above all, thank you for making this awesome game.

I'm very glad to see the (only) quirks I personally had with the game are being addressed (mid level pause and rotation).
    Do you have any ETA about the update?

Some questions related to gameplay:
    Is the ARTIFACTS (the ones that let you upgrade your ship) location random?
    Are those always in the same mission (albeit in random position, if it's so)?
    Will be ever a screen that let you know at least that in the mission there is an artifact?
    I'm not a score attack type but I would love to find all the artifact and upgrade the ship.
    I'm more an adventurer/story type...and you really nailed it down everything here...loving the story.

Another little thing...DO MORE ADVERTISING!!!!
    The game came out all of a sudden and I bet many do not even know about its existance...and belive me...this game could reach the top spot in adventure games on the chart...if only for the graphical aspect.

Anyway, thank for the game...I'm personally having a total blast playing it (I'm on mission 13 now...AMAZING).

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yup, welcome Keeper! Glad your post was finally approved. Also great to hear that iPad support isn't too far off. I'm so excited to play this on the bigger screen!

Awp... Personally, I'd choose Gene Effect over Waking Mars any day of the week.

And guys, Gene Effect got enough nominations to be included in the game of the week poll here on TA, so make sure to get your votes in! This definitely deserves to win, even up against games like Lego Harry Potter, Brainsss, King of Fighters, and more...

3. Keeper_LS3D

Keeper_LS3D Member

May 6, 2012
    3D Artist and Managing Director
    Germany
    "Deleting Exit Button"
    No. We are sorry but this would split our project in two pieces right now. 1 Android and 1 iOS version. That is to much to handle right now.

Do you have any ETA about the update?
    It SHOULD come by the end of this or beginning of next week *fingercross*

Is the ARTIFACTS (the ones that let you upgrade your ship) location random?
    Sometimes...when there are hidden in rocks (those one you destroy with the repulsor) than the position is random.

Are those always in the same mission (albeit in random position, if it's so)?
    Yes they are always in the same mission

Will be ever a screen that let you know at least that in the mission there is an artifact?
    No. But maybe we can think about that...

Another little thing...DO MORE ADVERTISING!!!!
    Haha...yes you are right. But we do what we can right now ;)

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I like this one (i.e. Gene Effect) much more. It's easier to play and the story has hooked me more.

@Keeper: Welcome & thanks for the info! :)

5. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    This game is awesome!
    I too like it better as waking mars,the atmosphere and controls are amazing.
    Can't wait for the update so i can play this on my ipad.
    This get's my vote for gotw 100%.

6. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+3]GENE EFFECT[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    02/05/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to explores space using an ancient technology found in an abandoned alien ore mine on Mars?

[size=+3][thread=133741]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -

poll close on 05-10-2012 at 05:44 PM

7. Keeper_LS3D

Keeper_LS3D Member

May 6, 2012
    Germany
    #107 Keeper_LS3D, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Just for you :)
    ------------------
    Patch 1.1.0 is almost complete and full HD support for iPad is coming along nicely. Since this is a universal iOS build, we added new options that are specifically useful when playing on iPad. This includes the ability to scale down the size of controls (virtual stick & buttons). Tests on iPad3 ran super smooth with all graphic options like bloom and lensflares enabled.

Graphics have been improved using a new post process layer that allows us to apply all kinds of color grading effects.

This is the complete change log for V1.1.0:

New
    -iPad HD resolution is now fully supported
    -Added brightness graphics option
    -Landscape left/right display switching is now supported
    -Size of controls can now be adjusted in control options
    -Added color grading post effect
    -Added screen based light radius falloff
    -Anomaly now uses color grading post effect
    -Menu voice can now be turned off in sound options
    -New ship warp-in sound added at level start
    -Collisions now cause a short, global light failure

Improvements

-Increased texture and font resolution for iPad display
    -Dynamic frame rate throttling added
    -Collision detection performance improvements
    -Sound performance optimized
    -Game HUD performance improved
    -False ancient door switch order effect enhanced

Changes

-The game no longer exits on suspend
    -Warp gate engine sound volume lowered, audibel distance increased
    -Post bloom settings have been adjusted to reduce artifacts
    -Mission 1: More animated spiderwebs

Fixes

-Sound effect volume setting will now be applied properly
    -Lens flare post effect settings will now be recalled properly
    -Fixed audio click when leaving anomaly
    -Tank HUDs will now properly show an empty tank after withdrawel
    -Warp gate's sound will now properly pitch up when engine starts running
    -Fixed rock vertex colors that caused black gaps
    -Mission 1: Fixed spiderweb causing z sorting problem
    -Mission 2: Corrected floating background plants
    -Mission 9: Fixed light flicker problem at scanner

Greets,
    Marco
    Lightstorm3D
    www.GeneEffect.com

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #108 awp69, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Well, I bit and am quite glad I did. Played the tutorial as well as the first couple of missions. Atmosphere and music alone are incredible. I'm hooked.

Agree with sv's earlier comparison to Gyro 14 (which admittedly I didn't keep on my system very long because there was something else I HAD to have a the time and it was a huge file to get rid of). But this is much more enjoyable. Less frustrating controls that make it actually fun to explore.

And did I mention that atmosphere....wow. Nice game.

Honestly, this was a week that I hadn't planned on picking anything up (got a code for My Little Hero) because not much seemed to peak my interest. Glad I read through this thread.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My pick for gotw. The best of the 3 titles i have for the week.

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOW! What an AWESOME list of features for the update!

Is there a projected date when it'll be submitted to Apple?

Awp, great to hear you snagged it!

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Is it just me or are the time medals a bit tough?

I've had about 7 tries at the second training mission and can't get it.

12. Keeper_LS3D

Keeper_LS3D Member

May 6, 2012
    Germany
    Thanks a lot for the nomination!!! Would be great if you could post a customer review or stars on iTunes ;)

@syntheticvoid
    When it´s done :p
    Joking...we will hopefully be ready tomorrow evening.

@Echoseven
    Which time did you get already?

Greets,
    Marco
    Lightstorm3D
    www.GeneEffect.com

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Nah, not too tough. I've got all the training mission time medals, as well as 3 or 4 regular mission time medals... Just gotta be ready for what's up ahead, don't stop at the drop off things, fly right by them to activate them, and then go fill up on koronite, and come back to it. That way right when you fly back to it, it'll start transferring the materials right away, helping you get through the mission quicker. Also, don't plan on going back to the drop off after you have enough koronite to complete the mission, just drop everything and haul ass to the warp.

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #114 Echoseven, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    I'm getting the time medals, but I still think they're a bit too tough, especially for the tutorials. I mean, at best, I've beaten the required times by a second.

By no means am I saying that they should be easy -
    I love a challenge - but having a perfect run down to a second seems a little crazy to me.

I won't lie and say I'm not enjoying earning the medals though - and I loved the same thing in League of Evil, but yeah. Just sayin'.

Edit: Just realised there's an upgrade system. I'm guessing that upgrading my ship improves movement speed among other things? In that case - my approach has been completely wrong... What do the upgrades add?

Edit2: Yes, I've spent this whole time trying to get the time medals on the training missions instead of progressing to mission 1. I'm crazy like that. It's why I don't like games like Angry Birds.

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    The upgrades ate listed below the ? Marks in the artifacts section...

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I knew that. >.>

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You can't win 'em all, right? ;) Anyways, it's no biggie. I've gotten used to it, and in a way, it's nice having one game that takes it easy on the Home button. :p

Thanks for the details on the latest update. Sounds fantastic.

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Sure, done! I've just left a lengthy 5* review in the Spanish app store. The game really deserves it. Congrats & wating for the update :)

19. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I've been playing Waking Mars on Sunday and yesterday for the first time, so it's nice to hear people say that this game is apparently even easier to play and even more immersive.
    It's even nicer to read that huge changelog for the next update. Especially regarding the graphics and instant Retina support for the iPad.
    Seriously... I am fully convinced without a single doubt left. The moment this hits the iPad I am buying it hands down first thing! :D

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Game Impressions

DISCLAIMER: I loved every bit of Waking Mars up to the fantastic endings and I liked a lot the peculiar 'realistic Nasa' approach.

Said that...I'm enojoying Gene Effect even more (I'm on mission 15 and if quality continues to be on par of the first mission it's simply a masterpiece imho) but I wouldn't say it's easier to play (it's certainly super immersive).
    Controls in Gene Effect are better (your thumb is not in the way of the action as in Waking Mars) but the game is much more 'gamey'...some sections require precise controls and fast movements...at least in the first 'recognition' of the level...then gameplay become more reflexive like in Waking Mars...trying to solve puzzles and find all the secrets (In Waking Mars there is much less action): if you want to aim for the time score award things are much more frantic (personally, I do not care...I can spend a solid hour in a level).
    They are both great games though...I wouldn't miss one if you love scifi exploration games.

BTW I'm on mission 15 now and things are getting really tricky...when you think you have already seen everything...the game surprise you with new elements.
    Everytime I boot up the game I'm now VERY torn if continuing the story or replaying past levels to find the artifacts (not relics)...I wish I could have a list of the levels WHERE they are located...so I could replay only those.
    Since mission 10-11 I'm now playing searching for everything.
    So far the best mission was mission 13 where I did found the artifact and all the secrets while playing normally...fantastic level design and variety.

If any nice guy (or devs :) ) have a list of the missions where there are the artifacts I would gladily be spoilered (just the mission number and which artifact is...not the exact location obviously).
    I found one artifact buried in a completely new uncharted section, with doors and elements on they own...fantastic!