GeoDefense Swarm Strategies here

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by skyye06, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Ommo

Ommo Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Endless trouble

Ok, since I've not found a replavement game for GD yet I have spent some time with the endless levels, which are actually a little too time consuming for me. They take way longer than a subway ride ...

Anyway, the funny thing is that in terms of the number of waves completed I found the hard one much easier than the middle one and the middle one far easier than the easy one.

Any good tips on the easy one? I have no good counter againts the yellow guys.

Here are my strategies (if you can see through the explosoions).

Attached Files:

2. Ommo

Ommo Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Oh, btw, on all of these levels I kinda just upgraded the firepower to the max, then I just let the game roll. That's why you see those crazy sums of money. But short of completely rerouting the creeps I didn't really know what else to do ...

3. Elysium

Elysium Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Here are the solutions to every level from Medium 1 to Hard 9, done in two different ways for the whiners that say the levels are so hard there is only one solution. Skipped M8, M10 and H10 for obvious reasons. Most are my solutions but some I'm sure you'll recognize I borrowed from this thread, simply to save me the time of going back and doing a level that was already done.

http://criticalthoughtgames.com/node/121

4. Ommo

Ommo Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Well done. You seem to have a good grasp of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing solutions to the endless levels too, especially easy 10, since I'm having trouble with it. How do you fight the yellow guys?

5. Moorepheus

Moorepheus New Member

May 11, 2009
    Stuck on Hard Level 3, have all the other hard levels completed....any help?

6. rijndael

rijndael New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    #166 rijndael, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    I have tried lovely flowers (hard 2) for hours. I finished all the other levels. this levels creeps are too fast for missiles. can I get another hint or screen shot? Thanks.
    Nevermind, I got it. you build a row on the top and one on the bottom and blast them with rockets in the middle

7. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    Look up a few posts.

8. pcurr

pcurr New Member

Oct 3, 2009
    #168 pcurr, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
    Looking Glass H7

Hi fellow Swarmers

I must say that the first three hard levels almost made me give up! I had to repeat them over and over. The strategy did not evolve much each go, it seemed to depend on upgrade order. Most frustrating! After the first three things got better. I particularly liked H7-Looking Glass. A most pleasing game of symmetry. Reasonably easy to solve once you funnelled them into one stream. I tried variations on the pattern until I got to this one below. (sorry about all the fireworks!) I also worked to improve the multiplier during the first four waves by letting them have easy access and only shutting the door before wave five. My final score has got me at position 4 on the leader board:D I wonder if I can go further:cool:

Looking Glass.jpg

9. cmacin15

cmacin15 New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    how exactly do u beat medium endless? i see what your overall one looks like but how did u get there?

10. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    Good luck. I've been number 1 for... pretty much forever.

11. pcurr

pcurr New Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Can you give me a clue how to improve the multiplier after wave 4? If I let any waves beyond 4 have an easy exit they go straight through. I see I have been relegated to position 5 and want to try for at least a podium finish. Thanks...

Paul

12. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    #172 Elysium, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    There are a couple waves that you can kill for multiplier after wave 4 (but obviously not wave 5), but you have to make sure you aren't spending all your money on that because you will need it to not lose the level.

Also, I doubt you are getting as high of multiplier on the first four waves as you could be. I'm getting about 600x on average from the first wave, and the highest I've ever gotten was 750x (there is some timing-luck involved in getting 50s over 20s).

I got about 7.5 million with only waves 1-4 boosting my multiplier, so I would concentrate on that before you move on to trying to get more waves after 5.

13. maelstrom83

maelstrom83 Member

Sep 10, 2009
    #173 maelstrom83, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    I just took a run at Looking Glass shooting for high score and wound up at #4 (EDIT: A few runs now and I'm up to #2). Sorry, Paul! :D Time to see where I can improve. BTW Ely, I can't for the life of me figure out how you're bringing that first wave to 600-750x. Gotta get my brain around that one. I can get it up to 441x with every creep on the first wave getting a 20x bonus. I can get almost all 50's on the second wave, but I can't seem to improve the first wave at all.

Do you guys think the #1 score for The Race Is On is legitimate? I've been #2 forever, and can't figure out if that #1 score is possible.

14. kontakt

kontakt New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    The Hatch

Anyone still having problems with M9 The Hatch...

Here is how it can be done in a very simple way with no leakage (though doing it this way I often leak 1).

The pictures are fairly self explanatory, but I'll add some notes as well.

Start getting the end-points to level 7 as fast as you can one at a time starting from the entrance. When you get to the end of the last row still contained within the orange area start to raise the shocks starting with the two left most ones (the one closest to the entrance, and the one closest to the aforementioned thumper). Take your shock towers to level 5 as you have money and time (between waves). Finally, start increasing your next-to-end thumpers to level 7.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      233.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      248 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      268.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      282.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      308.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.png
      6.png
      File size:
      293.9 KB
      Views:
  15. maelstrom83

maelstrom83 Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I finally got a no-loss The Hatch consistently with the below screenshot. Everything else, I was losing at least a few health.

I also attached my latest Looking Glass high score attempt. :D

Attached Files:

16. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    With the new thumpers, you don't even need to add shocks or missiles. Just make a normal maze with all thumpers, upgrading as many as you can to level 7 (concentrate on endcaps first) and you will win easily. You may get unlucky and let one or two through if they manage to not get stunned the whole way through the maze.

Maelstrom, that layout is completely different from what I was doing, interesting.

17. maelstrom83

maelstrom83 Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I'll try the all thumpers on The Hatch... given how cheap Thumpers are to upgrade versus Shocks, I bet you can litter the board with level 7's rather than only ending up with 3 or 4 level 7 shocks.

That Looking Glass maze has become sort of my go-to arrangement. When I started going for score, I started out doing the first four waves in a short arrangement, then quickly sold everything and built the above maze. Then I started figuring out ways to deal with wave 5, modify it for 6, 7, 8, and then quickly sold everything and built the above maze while wave 9 starts. It's become quite a fun level.

18. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    Topped you with 11.1 mil. Had x2248 multiplier and saved all lives. Used your strat at the end. There's no difference between my strat and yours as far as score goes, except that I think it's easier to save all the lives with your strat, as I usually lose 2 or so on the last wave with mine, since I don't have enough money (from spending it on early blasters) to make a strong enough shock tower to hold them back. Although using my strat you can technically keep getting multiplier for later waves, but it's incredibly risky.

I also had a game where I was at x2400 multiplier at wave 9, trying your strat, and I ended up not getting the towers down correctly in time and died. That probably would have been 12-13 mil.

19. maelstrom83

maelstrom83 Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Sweet jesus... Very nice and well done. Yeah, my maze arrangement typically results in a full-health win every time with just the three upgraded thumps at each endcap. Upgrading more off the endcaps makes it even more safe. The level 7 blaster is just a leftover from the beginning of my arrangement. I won't ask for your exact strategy because that's all the fun, but I will say this... Here's what I'm getting for multiplier on the first 8 waves:

Wave 1: ALL 20x
    Wave 2: ALL 50x
    Wave 3: ALL 20x
    Wave 4: ALL 50x
    Wave 5: No bonus multiplier
    Wave 6-8: Varying multiplier (this is where my strategy needs the most work)

Did you say you're getting 600-750x multiplier total after your first wave? If you don't mind me asking, what do your other waves look like, in terms of multiplier?

20. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    #180 Elysium, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    Usually goes like this:

Wave 1: If I'm really lucky, half and half 50s and 20s. I probably shouldn't have said I "average" 600, because I probably average around 500, but I would never even bother to play unless I got over 600. I have only gotten over 700 a handful of times.
    Wave 2: Hopefully get all 50s, but usually I get the first pair 20s (sometimes one 10 and one 50) and then the rest 50s.
    Wave 3: Mostly 20s with a 50 or 2.
    Wave 4: Probably all 50s except maybe the first pair.
    Waves 5: No multipliers
    Waves 6-8 Mostly 5s but usually a few 10s and 20s and rarely a few 50s.