Godfinger by Ngmoco

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by eggzbacon, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Yeah, well your sig has a special font that is more bothersome.

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Hey, be nice: as long as it's not spam nor a double post he can post as much as he pleases. And I do agree, but I'm sure once they get some viewers kgamelover will change it and make it just a link...hint hint wink wink nudge nudge

3. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    And that means.....?

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's quite often spam and double posts, you need to pay more attention ;)

5. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Seriously? Do you never, ever, ever leave the computer room or something?

He's telling you to do as he suggested.

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Wow, that was so clever. Bravo :rolleyes: Don't you have a sh*tty blog to busy yourself with instead of TA?

7. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Wow, that was so clever. Bravo.:rolleyes: Don't you have a piece of crap chat room to busy yourself with instead of TA?:rolleyes:

8. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Kgamelover and Derek stop. It's not worth it. Just make ur links eye appealingly simple and no centered and were all good

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    That was the best you could think of? Anyways, seeing as I don't feel like starting a flame war with your immature-self, I'm done with this thread.

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I hope this will be free.

11. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    If it isn't, I'll still pay for it.

12. yrrebeulb19

yrrebeulb19 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    If it is free we'll end up paying for it.

13. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    You don't know that.

14. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Neither do you.

15. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    No, online games don't tend to work when the server dies, no matter how you pay for them. A friend of mine bought Hellgate London for 50 bucks, and within a year the server was dead. This is something that online-enabled games have to deal with, and it isn't related to how they are priced.

With that said, I would that if Ngmoco was in any danger of going out of business, they would release patches for both of the games that would allow them to run in a limited single-machine mode. But you never know - that is the risk of online games.

And that is a very good question about the extra levels for Rolando 2 and Star Defense. We've been waiting a long time for the DLC for those games - I don't mind paying for it, I just want to see it released.

Somewhere, somehow, Ngmoco will be getting paid for this. Whether that payment is through microtransactions, aggressive advertisement, or a large up-front payment is unknown. I don't understand what the big deal is. Ngmoco is a 30-something employee business dedicated exclusively to iPhone game development. These people need to be paid, or else the company goes out of business, and we don't get any more games.

16. yrrebeulb19

Sep 5, 2009
    I get that the developer needs to make money and that ngmoco thinks in app purchases are the way to go, but that doesn't make me hate their system any less. When I spend money on the app store I am seeking entertainment and value, not making a decision on which developer to support. I just want to buy a game and play it.

17. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I don't get it though - I've maybe 5 bucks each on Eliminate and TPD, and I've been playing each for months without issue. Ngmoco keeps doing promotions where you can download some other free app, and they credit both games with more play time or credits. In effect, for one up-front payment in each game, I've been playing both for months without having to invest another dime. How is that any different than last years business model?

Actually, the only real difference is that the freemium model has populated the Eliminate servers with other players, and has encouraged Ngmoco to actually implement new features to retain these players. Look at Gameloft, for a contrast. They charge steep up-front costs for each game, but then they basically abandon the games. Why shouldn't they - they already have your money.

At the end of the day, if I'm going to pay the same price for a game no matter how they ask for the money, I'd rather pay the payment method that is going to result in the game getting new features and updates, rather than the method that results in the game getting dumped out and abandoned.

18. yrrebeulb19

Sep 5, 2009
    I basically just feel inconvenienced by it. For example in Eliminate, I don't like dealing with the energy. When I run out of energy I have to leave and make the in app purchase then recharge. And when I don't earn credits I kind of lose the motivation to play altogether. If I'm gonna spend X amount of money over several months why not just pay that up front and get unlimited access to advancing in the game? I've been playing for months too, but for about ten minutes a day. As for updates, I don't think I need to list all of the successful games that have had plenty of updates without charging periodically.

In the end you make a better argument than I do, but I just don't like this system. I don't worry about the business of it all, I just want to enjoy a game.

19. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Kmacleod why do you only post when a new ngmoco game is on the horizon?

20. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!