Good book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RHess00, Aug 6, 2015.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #41 RHess00, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Not liking Game of Thrones hardly makes someone a hipster. Now if he typed that while wearing a vintage fedora and listening to an indie rock band that has only sold 20 copies of their album, I would agree.

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Cool, I'll definitely check them out, thanks!

3. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    If you like the Harry Potter type series, I recommend the Pendragon series. It's 10 books and the wrong can be a bit bad at times but it's really a fun series.

4. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I picked up Discworld series after hearing about it here and I'm already on the second book

5. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    That's great! I'm actually rereading that one myself right now. The Luggage is one of my favorite book characters of all time. If you pick up the third book, I'll forewarn you that Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage are not in it but the witches of Discworld are introduced. The witch's books are some of my favorite of the series though.

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Reading The Martian which is actually kinda funny considering the dire circumstances, also bought Hugh Howeys Beacon 23 which sounds interesting and next on the list.

7. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    The movie trailers for The Martian look really good. I think it's going on my ever growing list. Of course I'll never get to it if I don't stop rereading Pratchett books.

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well for the record I also didn't like the "song of Ice and Fire" books I thought they were tedious and badly written I also don't think they will ever be finished anyway but I do however like the TV show which is weird but it's just easier to follow I think.

At the minute I'm reading my first ever Tom Clancy book I just read something about Red Storm Rising being based on a WW3 and thought it sounded interesting, not really far enough in to draw a conclusion yet but what I've read so far is decent.

9. september

Sep 14, 2012
    A bit of a confessional but I've never read Pratchett, on my wishlist but I really need to dig in.

10. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm sure Pratchett isn't for everyone but you really should try one of his books when you have a chance. Here is a good article that describes his writing and provides a guide to the Discworld books.

http://io9.com/the-io9-guide-to-discworld-1698768077

11. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've heard good things about Tom Clancy. There are some people that are absolutely obsessed with his books and he's written quite a few.

Btw, I started reading the Wizard 2.0 series. I'm about half way through the first book. I like it so far. It's pretty funny.

12. andrewdiaz

andrewdiaz New Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Copywriting
    Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
    The best suggestions

I have a list of some best books that you should read at least once.

1. The Count of Monte Cristo (a revenge novel by Alexander Dumas)
    2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    3. The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larrson
    4. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    5. Siddartha by Herman Hesse

13. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks for the list. I downloaded a few of these to my oyster app. I'll check them out.

14. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #54 RHess00, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    I have a couple recommendations for anyone interested. I just finished The Martian by Andy Weir. Very entertaining read. The main character really makes the book. He's funny as well as intelligent, and he responds to adversity with humor and determination. After reading the author bio at the end of the book, I was surprised to find that this was his first novel. Impressive.

I also read a book called The Girl With All the Gifts by Mike Carey. I think I liked it more than The Martian. It's a dystopian story with zombie like creatures. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't get into how the creatures originate. Now, I am sick of zombie stories and games and I wouldn't have bought it if it mentioned zombies on the back cover. It's been done to death but this story is different somehow. I think it's because the characters weren't constantly being chased and it didn't really have a horror fiction feel to it. It centers around 5 people trying to survive and get to someplace safe. The character development is top notch and each one is unique. The character for which the title refers in particular is absolutely fascinating. Add in a great ending and its easy to recommend.

15. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I love The Martian and I happen to be reading The Girl With All the Gifts now and really like it. Both are solid recommendations.

16. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Thirded for The Martian, very human approach taken in the humour against adverse conditions.

17. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Reading some scifi Alien invasion stuff at the minute namely John Ringo's Troy Rising series, I'm actually quite enjoying it to the point I might look up a few more of his books.

I'm also reading through "A Confederacy of Dunces" on my phone on and off I haven't gotten that far but I keep reading comments about how funny it is so kinda want to find out for myself.

18. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I finished 3rd installment in the Discworld series last week and
    I would definitely recommend Discworld to any fantasy fan. Can't believe how badass granny was.
    I'm gonna start The Girl With All The Gifts tonight
    Also anyone who haven't read it yet should read Alchemist:)

19. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    That's a perfect way of describing granny Weatherwax. The great thing is that she is one of the central characters in about 10 Discworld books and she's badass in all of them. I just finished rereading the fourth book Mort. It's one of my favorites and the first with Death as the leading character. Not sure what I'm going to read next. Maybe The Road by McCarthy.

20. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I think you're the 3rd or 4th person to recommend The Alchemist. After reading descriptions, it doesn't seem like something I would like but I may reconsider after so many have suggested it.