Grand Theft Auto III - By Rockstar Games (Releasing Dec/15)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kingofkings8183, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Wow you know you should take all that energy and put It towards something that matters. Might take your mind off less important things like the evils of a gaming company.

2. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    While I agree with you to a point it's important to note that PS2 was a standalone console with nothing running in the background to eat at RAM or CPU power. So the console focused solely on running the game with no problem. The ios devices are running multiple applications in the background that are eating away at CPU and RAM constantly. Maybe if Apple ever gave us an update that allowed us to stop applications like mail or text to free up RAM this game might be able to run on the A4 machines. However, the dual core I would think is what is allowing the game to run in the first places on these devices. One core can be focused on running iOS while the other is focused on the game running. With the current A4 processor that might not be possible. I'm sure that Rockstar has it's reasons for not bringing the game. Remember I don't think they would want to push out the many millions of ipad and iphone 4 customers as that would give the possibility of more sales.

3. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been saying this for a long time now...

If you're not wanting a dedicated handheld (I adore my 3DS), and you're wanting the best iOS can offer, you need to upgrade annually.

I had a launch day 2010 iPad (preorder) and sold it online to Buybackworld, right before the 2011 March keynote, got top dollar and paid $100 to upgrade to iPad 2.

That worked out well, so I'm planning to do this annually to keep up.

Rather than complain "my device a yr. old, or whatever", I assume that to Apple, you're already last years customer.

A legacy item.

I like to keep up, as wee can see it does have its advantages. This game gTA 3, is one of those instances.

The A5 is a whole new chipset, dwarfing the A4. The iPhone 4 and such, lack a lot of power - not to mention an additional core.

4. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    I agree. Warmgun on my iphone 4 was very laggy, but on my ipad 2 was smooth like butter. The dual cores allows the device to maxmize the gaming experience on ios.

5. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Sanuku, they probably don't want to deal with the iPod touch audience, honestly.

Way low ram, bad reviews because their device will have a rough time running the game, etc.

It's easier to just go the high end route.

Their is A LOT more power in the dual core SGX543MP2 chip.

Also, why are you bit**ing? You have an iPad 2!

:p

6. wooseokjo

wooseokjo Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    God, since iPod didn't change a bit this year, it's annoying to see these a5 only games. It's like you have to wait another year. Hope that iPod 5 will have a6 chip and 4inch screen more battery and more ram, maybe scratch proof back.

7. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Gta3 is only the beginnig trust me more games are gonna be announced the A5 chip definetly has its advantages & devs know this

8. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

I'm thinking certain developers (since Apple didn't upgrade iPod Touch), are avoiding the A4 market - to avoid the general iPod Touch audience.

It may be too much to work with the ram limitations, as well as the A4.

That market is notoriously younger skewing, and maybe by sticking A5, the developers can charge more - as more is expected, because the device owners are "premium", and may be charged "premium" prices.

This road may establish a premium games section, in the future.

It's a good way, to avoid the "bad review I want game 99cent!" audience.

The A5 crowd will pay more for the device, therefore become a cash cow to developers.

It's rather smart to bypass the legacy device audience, going straight for the newest and giving and earning better quality games on iOS ecosystem.

9. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    In alot of ways your right also some have to remember these games will also cost more money ,but seriously if A5 getting gta3 hurts alot of peoples feelings then i think they might need to have tissue on stand by cause theres more coming

10. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I said recently that this would come to iDevices.

Does new iPT have A5 goodness?

11. LookingForGames

LookingForGames Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Appstore
    Woow this game must be some tight sh#t! I'm really saaad it's only for A5, can't imagine them getting alot of money in for it though....

12. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Nope, the 'new' iPod touch is the same 4th gen one. Still has the A4.

13. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I'm very happy GTA III is coming to iOS. Realistically though, I'd much rather them do a GTA III HD remake for consoles, PC, and Mac and do a true, new mobile GTA for mobile devices.

And for the A5 requirement, they really ought to consider supporting A4 devices by doing non-Retina resolution if they are GPU limited. If they are CPU limited however, which is more likely, there's not as much can be done unless they really rewrite significant portions of the code optimized for ARM Cortex A8. The A4 might have a clock speed advantage over the PS2's CPU, but the PS2's CPU was very vector optimized and had out-of-order execution vs. the Apple A4.

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    What a f'ing joke 4s and iPad2 only. God damn it. GTA3 is my fav gta ever. Rockstar I now hate you a little, I can't afford a new device.
    I think I'm going to go cry somewhere for a while.

15. r2ks8x

r2ks8x Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    from what i've read in the comments section on the blog they're planning to add some devices , in that list is what they are sure capable of handling the game ...

16. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    It still works on PS2! They're quite cheap now.

17. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Plus it will will work on pretty much ANY modern computer/laptop.

18. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#38 Sanuku, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    Time to take a break...

19. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Aw man, the fact that it's coming to iOS is great, but I hope the 'currently confirmed' devices change to include the iPhone 4.

20. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#40 Sanuku, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    I am the Martin Luther King of Videogaming and won't look away and hold still while a bunch of $$ Hippies are trying to $ell us their Way of Bu$ine$$ like they did it with Red Dead Re.

I have a Dream...​

It doesn't matter that I do own an iPad 2 and getting my iPhone 4S on Friday!

I am just sick of seeing less and less Developer really taking the time to improve their Ports and adding new Features for just a quick $.

It does matter that Rockstar and a few other Developer should understand that they should stop using some damn Emulator when they port their Games over and sell it as Full Price Products while it is reality less then that.

My iDevices aren't jailbroken so I can't tell you if there is a PS2 Emulator for the iOS but I believe that if there would be One the Game would run on the older Once too.

All I am saying is that if Rockstar doesn't do some Magic with this Game there should be only one Way to judge this Game:

One iTunes Star and/or Ignoring it. We will see if Rockatar will try to improve the Game instead.