Grand Theft Auto III - By Rockstar Games (Releasing Dec/15)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kingofkings8183, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

Have you played GTA China Town Wars HD?

Rocks tar didn't just up the resolution, for iPad...

They released THE definitive version of the game on the iPad.

It turned out better than the DS, PSP and iPhone version.

I have faith that Rockstar will clean this up, even if they dont I'll still get it as I've never played it. :eek:

Never was a huge GTA/Sony gamer.

2. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Good news, I loved GTA3. I also don't think there's a reason to get so anxious about the "A5 only" thing. It does say on Rockstar's site:
    GTA3 wasn't really that resource demanding. And, as mentioned before, the devices we carry in our pockets are mostly a lot more powerful than PlayStation 2 was. I suppose the devs want to push the title as soon as they're ready with a stable version, and then work on the optimization. I'm pretty sure the 1st gen iPad, iPhone 3GS or some single-core Android devices, like Xperia Play, would handle the game easily. With a little extra effort from the programmers maybe, but still.
    I'll gladly wait to see how it all turns out, since I don't own any A5 device, nor am I planning to get one soon.

3. Tesio

Tesio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    A full priced version of this game would be about 49.99 or at best 19.99. I have a feeling this will release at about $10 (because we know if it's anything else everyone will through a total hissy fit) so it IS "less then that".

4. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    I think the devices they add to the supported list will just be more Android Dual-Core ones. I hope I'm wrong though.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i hope they do a proper hd revamp and not just a port with 10 year old textures and low poly characters that make the ganstar series look like infinity blade in comparsion..

from a technical point of view i can't really see why they would need the latest and beefiest generation if its NOT! an remake rather than a port..

if its like the psp versions i would rather pass.. they always felt cheap in comparsion to the big brothers.. not sure why..

6. kingofkings8183

Sep 22, 2010
    Vice City Stories was AWESOME. My favorite GTA after 4. I wish that'd come to iPad.. I swear I'd pay full Console price for that.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well vice city was my least favourite on both platforms, because i personaly didn't liked the setting.. gta3 was something new, first one in 3d and amazing back then.. vice city felt more like an update to me in a setting i did not like.. and san andreas wiped the floor with both sequels and offered the biggest world to explore and more todo than in any other title before and the size was amazing.. so from the old trilogy my fav.

8. kingofkings8183

Sep 22, 2010
    I guess it's all about opinion then... I personally Loved the 'glamorous' 80s Vice City setting and hated the 'gangsta hood' San Andreas setting :D Great games though.

9. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Yeah but its hardwork getting a ps2 and a tv in your pocket :D

10. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    Instant buy for my iPad 2. If the controls work, I'm gonna get it for my SGS2 as well. If they manage to make GTA:SA for iOS that would blow my mind completely.

11. Deathrow

Deathrow Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    I'm all for progress and pushing the technology to the limit,but this whole A5 exclusivity seems silly to me.Ofc the "A5 only" could be due to the nature of the game and "it's the way technology works,upgrade anually!", but there's always the other point of view-the devs are too lazy to port the game properly and optimize it for the hardware.After all,gta 3 came out in 2001 and ran perfectly fine on a 500-600MHz CPU with 256 RAM and GeForce 2.The ip4,even the 3gs trump those specs.Unless they are doing some major upgrades to the game,I don't see why it cant run on my trusty old iphone,or any other device of that generation.
    On a side note, IMO there won't be many games that will be in the "A5 only" club.At least in the near future.The reason for that is the absense of ipod touch with an A5 chip.And the ipod touch is the premier gaming device with the largest install base of all idevices.ALOT of people buy an ipod touch just for the games and apps,and devs that ignore that fact would be pretty foolish if they hope to return the investment of a higher-profile game that utilizes the capabilities of the A5 chip.Ofc this is just my opinion and I might be wrong.Have a nice day.

12. Snacks48

Snacks48 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #52 Snacks48, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    If they ported GTA3 to Iphone4-/pod4- it would have to run like shit. Everyone would complain about performance and how bad it looked and stuff like that plus there would be more time/money spent making it.

Your old devices are out of date now and there will be games you will be unable to play on them, get over it. Developers aren't lazy for abandoning old devices they are moving on with times to making ios a fantastic gaming handheld.

Additionally its unlikely that the next gen won't be able to run this or the next or the one after that. Unless the new guy screws up. Time to move on from that ipod 2g people.

13. The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy Member

Jun 1, 2011
    A5 only..."BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

*that is my contribution to this thread...*

14. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I'm really happy I preordered that 4S now. I figured the day developers stopped supporting the 3GS for hardware intensive games was coming soon but lack of support for the 4 is a bit of a shock.

15. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    HOLY CRAP! GTA ON iOS! INSTABUY FOR ME THIS IS SO AWE-

Oh. A5 chip only? Never mind...

16. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #56 LBG, Oct 13, 2011
    There's a big difference in performance between an iPod Touch 2G and an iPhone 4. I don't think anyone would expect this to run on iPod Touch 2G or below, but I think it should be possible to make it run on an iPhone 4. PS2 games like Prince of Persia: Warrior Within run perfectly smoothly on the iPhone 4, so in theory a game like GTA 3 with inferior graphics should be able to run as well. And if it doesn't run smoothly for whatever reason then they could always reduce the texture quality or draw distance.

17. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    A5 only? NO THANKS

18. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    #58 Madman100, Oct 13, 2011
    I'm with the boo crowd. I prefer iPod over iPhone and iPad. O'well..

19. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

If you compare Prince of Persia WW on the PS2 to it on the iPhone, you'll notice that the graphics are alot worse on the iPhone. But then again, that was when gameloft still had to support 2.nd gen devices. (and 4.th gens weren't out yet)

20. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Am I the only one here who remembers GTA as an open-world game here? That means unlike Prince of Persia Warrior Within(which ironically runs on an iPod touch 2G but is riddled with loading circles) the game is only supposed to have loading times when doing missions (and when changing islands if I remember correctly).

So I'm pretty sure the game will need all the juice it can get especially if they add retina display for it on the 4S. I have an iPod touch 4G and am extremely disappointed that a device I got last year won't be able to run a 10 year old game. But if Rockstar really wanted money they could have just made it run on anything 3GS up, even if it ran on shit on the 3rd and 4th gen devices.

I'd rather not buy the game at all than buying it and having it perform poorly on my device and then wonder 'Why the hell did Rockstar even claim this device was compatible when they knew it wasn't?'