Grand Theft Auto III - By Rockstar Games (Releasing Dec/15)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kingofkings8183, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Buy an iPad then, nice device and much bigger screen.

2. chase123

chase123 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Pakistan,Karachi.
    #102 chase123, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    Not really,PSP version was the best because is had better shadow effects and wifi mayhem.

3. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    A5 only? that's bs, the PC where i ran GTA3 back in the day was 10 times slower than my iPod Touch 4g, and you're telling me, it can't run it? bs bs bs bs, after seeing the latest iOS releases, you Rock Star ppl have no shame....

just another overpriced port.... dissapointing.

4. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    You ran GTA 3 on a PC with a 80mhz processor? ok then.

5. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    If you were to read Kotaku's or IGN's impressions of the port, you would know that the graphics have been dramatically improved. That is why this is for A5 devices ONLY (for now). Rockstar is not a lazy developer. They want to make this 10 year anniversary of their first open world 3D crime sim count!

6. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    So what if its only on a5 devices?? The 4g devices struggle getting a smooth framerate on some of the games that are out there now, so why would this game be any different.

Im glad rockstars doing a a5 only game, it pushes things forward. People cant expect better games if they are holding onto older devices. Time to upgrade again....

7. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    I have a ton of respect for Rockstar. They make amazing games, constantly getting 9 and 10 review scores. Games that Rockstar themselves make are just amazing and usually get game of the year every time. GTA3 on iOS just cannot fail. The only bad thing could be controls, but Chinatown's controls work fine.

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Um, just because it isn't going to be the EXACT same doesn't mean it isn't going to be the full thing.

And by the way, you do know SA and VC came AFTER GTA 3 right? :rolleyes:

9. kileriukaslektuviukas

kileriukaslektuviukas Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Lithuania
    Gta III can run on a ****ing pentium II with 300 mhz with out any gpu... And they say it is only capable of running on A5? Are you ****ing kidding me?!

10. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I agree that there's definitely going to look into 4th gen device compatibility. Given the number of devices sold and 4th gen models that are still selling, supporting 4th gen devices would more than double the potential customer base compared to the few models they currently support, so they'd be highly motivated to do so from a sales perspective. Although depending on the work needed to do so, it may not be worth-it from a manpower, budget, or time perspective.

I was really hoping a writer with experience with the PS2, PC, and XBox versions of the game would have done the preview and given their experience. IGN mentions they've up-rezed to HD as much as expected for a 10 year old game and Kotaku said the experience is close to the PS2. The PS2 version could be take as a baseline, while the PC version added higher resolution textures and improved draw distance. The XBox version is actually the best and included the higher resolution textures from the PC version, perhaps even better ones, and most notably increased the geometry detail of the models even above that of the PC version and added basic DX8 shader effects. The question is, has Rockstar actually improved things further from the XBox version? I'm thinking not. They are likely using the same textures and geometry models as the XBox version and perhaps some more modern shaders since that requires the least effort without having to remake all your graphical assets. It'll probably be better than the GTA III that most people remember from the PS2 or PC, but wouldn't be considered a remake vs. the XBox version.

11. seanunited97

seanunited97 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    School
    Internet
    so A5 means... u cant run on ipod touch4G

12. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

No, this won't run on Apples #1 gaming device. :(

13. Sodsoulja1222

Sodsoulja1222 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    lol, i thought is was the number 1 potable gaming device. I guess not

14. chase123

chase123 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Pakistan,Karachi.
    Based on sales,It might be the number 1 portable console,otherwise,I do not think so.

Well I suppose a price tag $10 to $20 would be suitable for this game.

15. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Well, my impressions are that Rockstar devs are not lazy programmers, but the budget they have for ios is, as of today, much less than for other systems.

When porting a game from one system to another, the lower the budget, the more technical requirements needed for the game to run smoothly. This is the reason why I believe they are not making GTA: Chinatown Wars with retina graphics, because it won't run smoothly enough and they'd have to invest a lot of money to run smoothly with retina graphics.

The same goes for GTA3: you can make it run smoothly faster & cheaper much more easily if the tech specs of the device are high. When you lower the device specs, then you have to fine-tune the game and program much more precisely than when the specs are high/fast. I hope I explained myself. This is what I believe is happening with Rockstar developments for ios.

16. I hope this points to GTA:VC and GTA:SA and maybe even the other GTA PS2 games (Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories) get the same treatment in the future if this is successful enough. Once I get my iPad next year, this is the first thing I'm buying for my newest iDevice. It's a shame I can't run it on my iPod touch 4G and would rather shell out 700 for an iPad than 400 for an iPhone 4S, especially since following Apple's trends, there should be an iPad 3 by April 2012 :)

17. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    I love the rage in this thread.

Technology moves on, catch up or jump off.

18. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Yeah but we really need to just chill & wait for the release to see what happens you never know they might make a version for older devices especially since iphone4 & ipod touch4 isnt that old but you never know they say its just for ipad2 & 4s but galaxy on fire 2 hd works great on my lil bro's ipod touch 4 & my iphone4 but the descriptions says ipad2 & 4s only

19. umerbhatti

umerbhatti Active Member

Jul 27, 2011
    London
    I m pretty sure they are doing this for marketing purpose.

20. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

ok, I may have gotten that wrong, but the point is that apple really should have upgraded the device they are marketing as a gaming machine.