Universal Grand Theft Auto III (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by crex, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

3GS - The game runs but the framerate is so bad that the game is virtually unplayable.
    iPad 1 - The framerate is slightly worse then the 3GS and the game crashes during the first mission every single time. I've tried rebooting but I'm chalking this up to the jailbroken 4.3.1 firmware.
    4S - The game runs flawlessly. :D

2. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Anyone know how to beat Sayonara Salvatore?

Also where I can find an m/16 and sniper rifle ammo?

3. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Find it in the Ammu-Nation shop, just check the map. Just wait around the corner next to the club until the given time and snipe him as he appears, make sure his guards can't see u though. They won't be a problem once he's shot dead.

Hope this helps!

4. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
  5. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    How do you cycle targets while shooting? Is it even possible? It's really irritating when you try to target a certain person and start shooting the other way,

6. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I am playing it on my 3rd gen iPod - please post your experience with it on this thread - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=116843 - along with any other info you have about your current iPhone (firmware, jailbroken, free space, etc.). Thanks :)

The game is running great on my iPod 3rd Gen. :)

7. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Just goto the Ammunation shop on 2nd island you must have loads of money by now? I did :)
    And get a pickup truck and ram him off the road-then machine gun him down then run lol! Make sure you have full health and armour

8. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Its in Settings > Generals > And usually at the bottom of the page above Reset.

Its weird because everytime I delete and then sync my iPad to the PC it just comes back. Its just I use my iPhone not my iPad so I dont know why its on my iPad not my iPhone.

9. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    the game is crashing an my ipt4 ,anyone having the same problem ?

10. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I removed the permissions before I syncd, and I no longer have them. You should be able to remove it like this:

(computer name) > appdata > roaming > apple computer > mobiledevice > provisioning profiles

Make sure you have hidden files shown. (In the folder options)

11. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    The only things this is really missing is aimin, I think the aiming that gangstar would be great in this game.

12. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I don´t see anything unusual or new in General Settings nor Safari nor App-Store.
    Don´t know how i can delete it without connecting my iPad to a computer

13. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    It does for me if I don't clear my multitasking. Whenever it happens I just clear the app and free RAM. I believe the equivelant for non-jailbreakers would be to just reset the device. The crashing is never persistent.

14. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    #554 O__o, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
    After finishing the bigger part of all main missions, being on island 3, I can give a better rating of this game.

1. Overall it's a great port!
    2. Driving works very very good (just looking around while driveing is easier in the PC-Version).
    3. Walking around works good, too. The camera angel is sometimes annoying but overall it's fine.
    4. Aiming and shooting is awful! The missions where you need to gun down other people are damn hard. You often miss the targets or destroy the wrong targets. The sniper rifle and the m16 have another -a better- aiming mode but it's still hard to aim. Maybe "touch to select target" could make this better.
    5. Custom radio station is definitely a missing feature and it could be implented so good with all you music already being on the device.

It's definitely worth the money. GTA 3 is still an amazing game and one of the best I played on my iPad. The controls (but not the aiming) works very good and better than you might think. It looks fine and gameplay is so good that it's sometimes hard to stop gaming.

15. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-retro-face-off-grand-theft-auto-3

In case anyones wondering what has changed in GTA 3 over the last 10 years, Digital Foundry has a comprehensive comparison between the PS2, PC, XBox, and iPad 2 versions. As we've gathered, the iPad 2 version is somewhere in between the PC and XBox versions. The XBox's improved assets have been used sparingly. The in some cases like the foliage, the iPad 2 version's textures are hurt by use of heavy compression. Geometry pop-in is noted as an issue on the iPad 2, but from the comparison videos the overall draw distance for low-resolution far-off background buildings appears between the even the XBox. This is mainly due to major work on the color palette for the Anniversary edition eliminating the drab colors and fogging used in previous versions. The XBox version still reigns supreme, but I think the new wider color palette on the Anniversary edition really makes it more visually appealing as a city in motion since you presumably won't be analyzing polygon models and textures too closely all the time. Here's hoping the success of the Anniversary edition will encourage Rockstar to fully bring the XBox's assets to iOS in an update just as Chinatown Wars was later updated to include previously PSP exclusive assets.

16. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Decent review though if the writer had gone looking into options he'd of known the analog stick can be turned on while driving, thus eliminating his annoyance with controls.

17. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    In fairness, I believe Digital Foundry Face-Offs are more about technical graphical analysis than about general gameplay reviews which are more the purview of the main Eurogamer site. I'm surprised he was able to pull together a comparison between 4 platforms in the 2 days since GTA III was released.

18. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    My iPad 2 runs iOS 5.0
    But i haven´t found a "profiles" section anywhere. Is it hidden in a sub-menu somewhere?

19. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Any hints on the mission turismo?
    Its so hard on iPod, every small collision lets you flip your car 180 dgrees

20. blunted247

blunted247 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    If I remember correctly from the PS2 version, what I would do for any race I was having trouble winning was to first get the fire truck from close to 8Ball's shop, and park it horizontally across the start line to block the other cars. They will eventually get around it but you will have a huge head start.

Also make sure you are using a fast car and not just a random one you picked up.