Graybles - A game about many perspectives

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dmarqs, Sep 8, 2015.

1. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Fixed player passing through door. Now it's working properly. =)

[​IMG]

2. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New tutorial, explaining better how to play (sorry for bad english, still going to fix the text)

[​IMG]

3. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hello everyone!

Today I'm going to show how one of the puzzles of Level 3 works.

To get that Red Gift, you can't go directly in front of it, you have to turn around. But, how can we have that knowledge?
    [​IMG]

Using other screens! In this view with different angle, we can see how this level can be played: It is visible that the Red Gift is a little far away from where you think it were.
    [​IMG]

Hope you like it! =D

4. FLSGames

FLSGames Member

Apr 14, 2015
    wow, I absolutely love this game, I find its gameplay refreshing, art is nice, can't wait for it to release. Also thanks for the many updates:D

5. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Looks really cool - it looks like you're utilising the concept in a really cool way.

6. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks FLSGames and TheGreatEscaper for your kind words =)

New update everyone =D

Started to do Landscape mode! Now the player can choose how he wants to play, in both orientations.

[​IMG]

7. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi everyone!

Two more levels in landscape mode! Now, it's time to start to do another one. =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hello everyone!

This is the last level for the demo that I'm doing. Still finishing it, but, we already can have a preview of the multi-view puzzle of it. ;)

[​IMG]

9. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi everyone,

This is how the last stage of the demo it is. Now you can say that looks like Fez. =p

It is just a feature of multi-views, where, instead of moving only a part of the terrain, it moves the whole level. It is useful where there is 2 views in side mode. This kind of design forces player to change from front/backwards to right/left based on the view to move through the level. This 'view change' helps to see other parts that was hidden in the first place.

[​IMG]

10. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Quite excited for this one. Looks like some cool level design!

11. norpai

norpai Active Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Looks great! I love when developers give updates of the game production, because it's way cooler to play when the actual game came out! Good work!

12. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks for the kind words TheGreatEscaper and norpai! =D

This week I'm only focusing in let everything polished. Here's how it is the menu in landscape mode. Each selection button is a miniature in pixels of the real stage, trying to looks like an world map.

[​IMG]

13. that was cool. amazing work when are you upgrading it. with some texture upgrading this can be a mindblowing masterpiece.

14. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks for the kind words LeonPaul!

Hi everyone! New update! =D

This week was all about tests. Everyone that could play Graybles (even friends of friends of friends), played. It was awesome see players finally testing and responding to the game as well. My main focus was not balancing the levels right now but, as people complained about 2 levels, I had to fixed it up to make a better experience. Just to be clear, my focus was to make everyone understand about multiple views, what turns out to be very fun! =D

I would like to talk about one of that levels that I had to fix. As you could see in this GIF below, that was what I was expecting:

[​IMG]
    (Hey, it's me, hidden gift! I'm here, right before you get lost changing views!)

It turns out no one was getting that first Gift. That where my job started.

Before showing how it was solved, a bit of explanation about this Gifts. As multiple perspectives is something unique and people are not used to it, the first Gift of every level is the one that guide you to how the level works, as each one is different from the other. In level 3, the first one is used to show 3 things at the same time:
    - There are hidden things here;
    - There is more than 2 views at the same time;
    - This ground with different color activate things;

So, maybe in the future I'll separate that better, but that's what I tried to show now. As you could see in the GIF above, after use the elevator, we have to pass through the door and reach this balcony before going down the ramp. What people did was going right to the ramp. And, when they needed interact with this 3 features that wasn't learned, they got lost. Didn't know what to do and they thought that was a boring stage to play, even knowing that they lost one Gift.

Solution: Put balcony on another view, the brighter one and the one that the player started playing.

[​IMG]
    (Finally you're seeing me!)

After that subtle change, players started to see this shiny little balcony and gets their attention. =D

That's how I fixed this issue with level design. Sorry for the long update, I was dying to share with you. =)

Hope you like it, see you soon!

15. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi all!

It's been a busy last week. I've been working in a new level that I found out it's not possible in the way I wanted, because of performance issues. =/

So, I became a little disappointed and I'll start another one in this week. Probably I'll get back to that level still in november, just have some time to think about it better.

So, no new screenshots or GIFs today but, have some news:

[​IMG]

Submitted Graybles to IGF! yey! There's a lot of REALLY GOOD games this year but, I still have hope =D If you want, you can check it out here: http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2016.php?id=9168

I'm going to share more the process of this new level in the following week, I'm very excited because it's a different multi-view from the other levels. See you soon!

16. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hi everyone,

A quick update: New level started to be made! I'm very excited for this one, I took Bioshock as reference to build those tiles, I was expecting something more green-ish for this time.

I hope to update more frequently in this week, and soon enough show how the multi-view puzzle works in this stage. =D

The level design plan took a lot of forms before I decided to keep that. I wanted on purpose to be more like a straight line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Looks fun and unique. Love the muted colors.
    Love the updates you keep posting too!

18. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks Lavender! I'm very excited to apply those tiles in the game! =D

19. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    a small update while I'm finishing some touches of this new level: Sharing some of Graybles' BGs. =)

[​IMG]

20. dmarqs

dmarqs Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Hello everyone!

Here's another update. I'm building the new level with the tileset from the last post. For now just a GIF of how it's going with 1 view only. In the weekend I'll update a glimpse of how multi-view puzzle in this level works. =)

[​IMG]