Great Little War Game - on sale now (66% off)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Rubicon, May 16, 2011.

1. rogue35

rogue35 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Do the right thing Touch Arcade

How is it possible that Touch Arcade hasn't done a review of this awesome game. Do the right thing Touch Arcade

2. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Thanks, glad you're loving it. :cool:

3. landarcht

landarcht New Member

May 27, 2011
    Can't land on island

I'm stuck on the F Day level where all the beach is occupied by the Reds and we're at a stand still, I can't land and can't fire onto the island to make any kills...any suggestions? I'm over 170 days into the war now....help!

4. the_kernel

the_kernel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Datacore netadmin
    An Island Somewhere
    Drop back to the ship and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

5. landarcht

landarcht New Member

May 27, 2011
    i have destoryers, grunts and bazookas, but none of them can damage any of the Reds on their island, can you be more specific? Thanks!

6. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Wow, I'm just relieved it hasn't crashed or anything tbh. 170 days is quite the record! :)

You need to start again as shore bombardment doesn't show up until later. Next time, rush your own troops over there and take the battle to the enemy. Four ferries working flat out for a few turns should get you a good beach head.

7. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    As was said, you have to move faster. You have a good 5 turns you don't even have to consider defending your island (and 2 grunts is all you need to build). Land 4 grunts on their island on turn 2, land a couple of engineers and more grunts turn 4, and just keep dropping off a grunt or 2 every turn, win by day 7.

8. Stealthy Monk

Stealthy Monk Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Still loving this game but I do have one gripe. Once you have the skyhooks it seems to be waaaay too easy to fly in with two engineers, capture the enemy barracks and then spawn inside their camp...I've done it on a couple of maps now and finsihed the level with gold +8 on one of them. The obvious solution is to avoid it but I'm wondering if there's an in game way to deter it.

9. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    I really enjoy this game too. My complaint is with the camera. The top down view is ok, but it still hard to differentiate some of the units on the battlefield (the zooming in/out does help some). I would imagine making a dymanic camera where you can tilt the angle would be a lot of work?

10. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    It would actually be a doddle, but be careful what you wish for. We've been "straightening" the camera slightly on and off because when it was more titled you could lose units behind cliffs and stuff.

We could add yet another control to zoom it over dynamically, but we're in danger of making the whole thing too complicated. Most everyone seems happy with how it is, so I don't want to bugger it up.

Regarding the skyhook thing, we've made the enemy get more aggressive wrt antiair units, but there's not much more we can do that wouldn't feel deliberate and cheaty. If we do a sequel to this game it won't have any bloody skyhooks in it at all...

11. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    crap was gonna buy after reading the article on the front page but price went back up, not enough credit left to buy, me sad panda

12. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    get it when you do. :)

13. SirAwesome

May 20, 2010
    Hope I didnt screw myself, but i tried the lite version and noticed that the upgrade to get the unlocked campaign was .99 so I bought it. Is there any difference between a lite unlocked verision and the regular verision ?

14. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    No there isn't. An upgragded lite version is functionally identical to the premium one.

Looks like you got in between me turning the sales price off on the two items, so fair play on that one - good skills! :)

15. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Is the only difference between the $.99 and $2.99 versions that one is iPhone only and the other is universal?

16. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #76 Rubicon, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
    Pretty much, but it's a big difference.

The iPhone version has smaller imagery to suit the screen and only looks great on 3GS, whereas the HD one looks great on everything.

Moving forwards, the HD version will get more love in the graphics department too as the future is bright there, whereas 3GS will always be 3GS and won't ever become more capable. (I have 3GS but can't wait to get my next upgrade)

17. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    So the cheaper one doesn't have retina display optimized graphics?

18. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    nope
    buy the HD if you have a 4th gen device/ipad

19. SirAwesome

May 20, 2010
    Thanks for the answer, love the game too and congrats on the front page coverage! I love how the game reminds me of advanced wars for gameboy only with better humor, well done!

20. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Price Dropped to $2.99 for a bit

After experimenting with the price all over the board, we're back to $2.99 (from $4.99)for the HD version, whilst the non-HD version is down to $1.99.

Get it quick as it won't go lower, but may go back up tbh. It seems that whilst we get more sales at sub three dollars, we don't get treble the numbers - which is a shame.