Universal Gridrunner [Llamasoft]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 24, 2012.

1. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    #81 J.R. Jalapeno, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    http://dannygalaga.com/atari.html

Here's a link to the controller. It might not be the exact one but it'll give you an idea. Cost me $100 years ago but worth every penny. Let's hope space giraffe comes out. Jeff's a master of touch controls so im sure it would be perfect.

2. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
  3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    That's a lot of money for one game, LOL. I think I'd just stick to the standard controller if I still had my Jaguar (I wish I did)!

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    #84 Drucifer, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    The psychedelic effects were actually toned down in the PC version so if they ported that version I'm guessing you would have more chance of enjoying it. :D They did however, also include a more graphic intense version like the 360 version called Acid Mix I think.

5. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    It is but to play one of the best games ever made the way it was supposed to be played, without actually owning the cabinet, it was worth it.

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Just wondering how far have you guys gotten? On casual mode, I got up to lev 24. Those dark color enemies keep getting cause its hard for me to see them. lol.. =P

I'm scared (but excited) to see what new enemy lev 50 will bring!

7. MilkManX

MilkManX Well-Known Member

I am glad to see more people loving this game.

I feel this is one of his all time bests and this new version is incredible!!

:D

8. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    ATM I'm 7th on Casual leaderboard with 258k points on 33lvl and 10th on Pure with 251k

Don't know about lvl 50 but after lvl 30 things going pretty crazy! ... And I love it!

9. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    kickstarter->all funds go to jeff for tempest remake->game goes to atari where they make all profit from the app

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    203,859 on Pure! Woohoo! This game is so great. When you've got a stream of power ups going it is so awesome. :) I'm #24 at the moment.

11. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    #6 on casual at 315,058 and #22 on pure with 243,260, 1st on pure has 602,000??? :eek: I think the highest I got on casual is like level 39, unless I get a stream of powerups there's too many baddies, bullets, mines on the board and I don't last too long. Still an AWESOME game and according to Minter on Twitter he's halfway through another iOS game, woot!

12. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well i understand than one can get used to controls in this game. but it's another game from this studio which could use some other control methods. like maybe dpad or relative touch controls. instead there is kind of virtual stick or something like that. in minotaur rescue tilt controls would be perfect, but instead there is quite lame option. i am really amazed that goat up got tilt control which work quite perfectly. just my opinion but instead of writing in description of every game how great are controls they could actually make that.

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Woot! Made it up to lev 33 or so in casual mode. Fun stuff! =D

14. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Does anyone know what makes each round end and what makes powerups appear? I know certain enemies always drop powerups, but it seems random when the line of baddies do. Also are there powerups that immediately end the round? Maybe not, I've seen ones that are rapid fire, multi direction, spray, 3 way, mine blow ups, invincibilty am I missing any other ones

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm not sure what triggers a power up drop in the case of the caterpillars, but I *think* it's getting some number of segments in a row, quickly. I don't know what that number is. Other things always give drops, like those cube things. I think others still don't give a power up in earlier levels, but then later start to give them. For example those things that drop slowly and then split apart into shots when you shoot them. Earlier on they don't seem to give a drop (at least I don't think - I might be misremembering) but later they do.

16. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I love that everyone seems to be into this game. It's pure nostalgia candy for me and I think it's his best yet (which is saying a lot, since Minotaur Rescue and Minotron were awesome). The callbacks to Namco, Williams, and obscuro arcade games really stroke my oldies bone. I like this list of the metagame elements.

Minter is already working on the next game, which is great to know. My bet is an ungulate-themed, tilt-control Time Pilot-ish game. He's been really prolific on iOS and I hope it's working out for him.

I like Space Giraffe, too. If you visit the YakYak forums you will find some threads about how the commercial failure of Space Giraffe kicked his ass -- it took a long time to develop, and the XBOX Live review process is way more grueling than we see on the App Store. It did not review well everywhere, and it didn't sell well either. iOS might be a good place to revisit this fun and beautiful design, but I think I understand why it would not be his first priority.

Everyone loves Tempest 2000, but the current management of Atari seems to be sue-happy (see what they did to Vector Tanks?). The Tempest name 100% belongs to them and I suspect they would go after something with a similar look and feel as well. Unless Minter is working on a behind-the-scenes profit-sharing scheme with them, I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    This game is great, but I've gotten to the point where I really wish it had a hard mode, so the games would be a lot shorter. I sent a message to Minter on twitter asking if that could be added, but haven't heard back. Either he's asleep, swamped, or both. :)

Ideally the hard mode would bump up the progression and craziness at a faster rate, so we could see the same stuff, just sooner and the game getting harder a lot faster.

18. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Maybe a survival mode that has seemless "stage" progression, ramps up faster, and 3 difficulties?

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Isn't that what "casual mode" does exactly?

20. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I was about to say the same thing. The casual mode lets you resume at a much higher level getting you right into the frantic action of the later grids. ;)