iPad Ground Effect 1.2 + Lite with OpenFeint

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Der-Kleine, Nov 5, 2009.

1. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #81 LBG, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    Wow! Haven't had much time to play this, but from what I have played I can say that this game is OUTSTANDING!

I expected it to be good, but I am honestly suprised at how good it is, this has totally exceeded my expectations.

The graphics are amazing - lovely looking water, nice detailed models, beautiful mountains, sunsets etc. And even more amazingly - the gameplay is crazily smooth - the FPS stays high throughout the game, even with the 7 other ships and big jumps. I wouldn't even expect this level of performance on a PSP. I don't know how you managed it. It is definately something to be proud of.

I love the feel of the game, it is pretty relaxing -cruising around the water, skimming over the shallow islands, climbing up mountains, launching off edges and then gliding down gently back to the ground. There is no game quite like it.

Of the tracks I have unlocked so far 'Twin Peaks' is my favourite (I actually found track 4 pretty easy - you just have to learn the route). I love the big jumps, jumping off high mountains and gliding back down.

There isn't much sound - just the occasional sound of crashing and the music. Which I think is perfect. It feels just right as it is, the music is very good and it is nice to have a silent ship that doesn't make some annoying noise.

Update suggestions:

- I feel that the free roaming ability of this game should be taken advantage of and put to good use. How about some more game modes such as collecting coins/objects scattered around the map?

- A plain free roaming mode with no objective and no opponents would be nice. Just you and the map.

- A white ship. I don't know why, I just want a plain white ship. As much as I love the variety of designs and colours you have included, I would like the ability to chose plain colours also (maybe have a colour picker?).

- An option for manual acceleration. The auto accelerate does work well, but some people prefer manual acceleration.

- Maybe some alternate camera views, how about a first person view from inside the cockpit?

That's all my suggestions for now - I can't think of much that you could improve on!

I did speak to you a while back about possibly using the same game engine for another game. It just seems too good to abandon the game engine/maps. Have you had any more thoughts about making any more games with the maps? I think maybe a free roaming action/adventure game would be good. Or even a shooter/fps! Crysis on the iPhone? :p ok.... maybe I am getting a little carried away here, all I am saying is that I believe that you have the potential to create something great here, you have a great smooth graphically impressive game that I'm sure many other devs will be jealous of. Why not do some more stuff with it?

Ok, it's getting late here. My progress on Asphalt 5 has been paused, this game is getting all my attention now - I actually prefer this game to Asphalt 5!

Keep up the good work, I will always be following the progress of your game(s) from now on.

Cheers,

LBG :)

2. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Wow LBG, thanks for your detailed feedback.

The funny thing about that track is that it was the first one we made when banked tracks went in. You've probably noticed that it's the track from the intro.

I find that when I'm playing a game on my iPhone I want either silence or to listen to the iPod. I designed the sound to be kind of minimalist so it isn't too distracting on top of music or podcasts. I really didn't want to put an engine drone over everything.

Maybe, I guess... The game played like this for many months but it turned out nobody I showed the game to could play it! One of my kids wants to see it back in too so maybe it'll happen on a rev.

I've always been a fan of the visual feedback provided by seeing your vehicle drift in driving games but I appreciate that a lot of people are first-person-or-die, I guess I should add this too.

Whatever I do next will be using some of the same tech, I'm not sure how much yet. I'm also interested in making the tech available to other devs at some point in the future.

3. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    can you play ipod music while playing?

4. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Sure! Just turn the in-game music volume to minimum and you can listen to whatever's playing on your iPod. Personally, I love playing it to "Seven Nation Army" - gives the game a whole different vibe. :)

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Love this game.
    This needs a spot on the front page.
    Fantadtic, what you created within such a small size.
    It feels perfect, the soundtrack is fantastic and it's VERY challenging but never frustrating. This game is fantastic! Thank you!!

6. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Yeah, I beta tested this game, and had a fabulous time with it. The game mechanics are just so fun and refreshing. Good luck in the crazy app store market Glennx, you deserve it :)

7. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    In-Game music

Is it possible for you to release the instrumental version of "A Rock in a Pond"? I really like it, and I can't seem to find it anywhere (like I expected to).

If Glenn can't release it, is there software to manually record high-quality sound without an external mic from the iPod touch?

8. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Well he didn't make the music so he probably can'T release it! ;) :(

I think it you'd connect the headphone bit on your iPod with the bit for microphones on you computer, you could probably record the sound. It would be alot of work thow... and you'd need a good sound card in you computer, becaus otherwise the quallity will be terrible!

@People who want a fp (first person) camera view, I'd like it too, but it would be best if the camera was really in the ekranoplan and that when you go around a curve the camera get's pressed down abit/abit to the side! That would give the game a nice realistic feeling! :p

9. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Extra Lift Mode

You should really put a mode where you can control the throttle and lift; so you can glide up steep mountains. If you made this mode an exploration mode, I'd love it just as much as the racing mode. It'd make it have a Wings: 2-ish feel, but with a game element.

10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I PM'd arn but he hasn't replied/done anything yet.
    If a mod/admin is reading this - please at least mention this game on the front page, it is definately worth of a front page mention, more so that most of the other crap that goes onto the front page.

11. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Taking a few secs here and there to play, and after not touching this for over a week onpurpose, it feels as unique and entertaining as ever. Just tried out track one and managed to shave 3 tenths/sec, I hope I'll be as successful with the others, because this thing is like a drug.:D

This game is definitely like no other in every respect. Which is nice when 90% of games on the appstore just try to cash in on a popular genre or are direct ports of existing games.

12. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    +1 to everything you said there. This game is about as unique as a game can be.
    Why isn't it on the front page?

13. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    way to suck up. :)

arn

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well you didn't reply to the PM I sent you, so that was the only way left.
    Anyway, I am being honest, some of what is posted on the main page is BS news that I don't want to read about. The rest is great though :)

15. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    To be honest, posts like this make me want less to post about a given title. Surprisingly enough, "you suck because you haven't posted about xyz" isn't really motivating. :)

But Ground effect is on my list, I would have written about it earlier, but had some unanswered questions about the game. I guess the different ships are just cosmetically different?

arn

16. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Superb gameplay, graphics, controls...5 BIG stars

17. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I didn't say thet you suck. I said that some of what is posted is pointless and useless. I didn't say who posted it and I didn't say it is all BS and I was only joking when I said 'all the other crap'.

I sent you a polite request to at least mention Ground Effect, but you didn't even reply.
    I thought this website was supposed to be for the community, for the people interested in iPhone games. Maybe I got that wrong. All I wanted was for there to be a mention of this game on TA so other people could hear about it, is that really so much to ask? And not even bothering to reply to my PM, well that's just rude.
    Maybe I should ask someone else?

18. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Hoddap? :p

19. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    No thanks :p

I fear that he would have even more of a problem comprehending a simple task such as writing 'Ground effect released' and adding a screenshot onto the front page.

20. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    +1 for truth.