Groundskeeper 2 Coming March 2014!!! From Orange Pixel, the Creator of Heroes of Loot

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JCho133, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    #61 smes3817, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Just had time to play a quick game and DAMN this is fun! Everyone should definitely be all over this when it releases. Can't wait to sink some real time into it later tonight and tomorrow...

Edit: it's pretty nice being the only one on the leaderboards while I attempt to get better ;) Just unlocked a few weapons and one or two more more locations. This is a fantastic arena shooter with (no surprise here) perfect controls.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Any chance you could post some screens? Maybe just of the menus? That would be awesome.

Also, weapons are collected Super Crate Box style, correct?

3. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

And the winner was: JCho133!

The correct answer was of course Captain Hero.

The trick answer (I thought) was of course Cash.. who was part of Chrono&Cash. Altho I also got answers with Johnny Rumble and besides being an old Orangepixel hero, he is also the main guy from Gunslugs ;)

So to make it easier to win the next code for Groundskeeper2, just reply to the thread naming your favorite Orangepixel game and why! Can't give a wrong answer! and the winner will be randomly picked from the answers

4. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I'd have to say that my favorite Orangepixel game is Meganoid 2. Even though it is brutally hard, the controls are spot on and it's really fun. One of the better platformers available on iOS.

5. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Thanks a ton! I'll buy one of your older games in repayment :)

Would everyone here like some screenshots? :D

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #66 JCho133, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    This game is sooo amazingly polished (as if anyone expected otherwise!) The controls are the best they've ever been, and there's voice acting(!) which is flippin great. I can't wait to find all the weapons, I bet the last few are super cool.

Oh, and once again, there's a great sense of humor

Here's a lil' taste ;)

Attached Files:

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    You're blowing my mind!

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Heheh, I'm glad

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Gotta say my favorite is Heroes of Loot. I've always liked the controls, super neat enemies, and near infinite replay value. The way the difficulty adjusts is really cool too. One of my all time favorite iOS games, no doubt.

10. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I liked gunslugs the best. It was super hard for be but I pressed on and beat it!

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I think this might top both.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh boy, it's gonna take a nice amount of time to unlock everything in this.

Pascal, what FPS is this running at? Sometimes it looks close to 60 and it seems silky smooth, and at other times it just seems kinda average.

13. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Any more impressions? How does it compare to Gunslugs?

14. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My favorite orange pixel game is Heroes of Loot. I like almost all of them but heroes of loot is the only one I could actually finish :) . Gunslugs is a good second for me.

Counting down the days for groundskeeper , can't wait to get my hands on it :)

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Well, this is a very different beast from Gunslugs. Gunslugs was obviously more like one of your classic 2D side scrolling shooters (metal slug, contra, etc) and was a mission/story based game. Also, the cover system behind boxes from Gunslugs returns. You can move, jump, and shoot.

This is an endless arena combat game, more attuned to games such as Super Crate Box (but the weapon pickups aren't randomized, you pick up specific guns), but there's only one level to each map (at least so far, later maps may have more than one layer).

Basically this is how it works:
    You spawn on a randomly picked map out of the selection of maps (all of which are a single frame, no side scrolling) and you're given the default gun. Enemies and crates spawn, which you shoot to get hearts and "bits 'n bobs," which are little orange tinkery bolts etc. when you collect 50, the portal activates, which you can then stand on to move to the next, randomly chosen map. Or, you could choose to stay at that map, and just keep fighting for "bobs" there.

Bobs are basically your score, (1 bob= 1pt) do there's really no point on saying "points," so for all purposes, let's just say bobs.

Okay, then at that next map, the bob threshold will be 75, so 25 more bobs later and that portal is activated, then you can hop on and go to the next place. The bob thresholds will continue to rise by 25 there on out.

You start every game with 9 lives (max amount), and then you pick up hearts to regen 1 heart at a time if you've lost one. Also, every time you teleport you hearts will be refilled to 9.

Now, the unlocking system is a bit vague. So basically, I'm pretty sure things are unlocked by reaching certain thresholds of lifetime bobs. It doesn't tell you how many you need to unlock each next thing, so basically you just gotta keep playing until you have everything unlocked.

There are 7 guns (6 unlockable, 7 including the default), and 4 powerups. (6th gun is probably a jetpack, as the achievements allude to).

I have 3 guns (including the default) and 2 powerups. My guns are:
    Default: blue rapid fire rifle, very innaccurate.
    Triple Gun: very fast firing rifle that shoots 3 streams of bullets
    GangstaStyle: Straight-firing double pistols. (Only shoots forward, not from both sides). Very nice damage.

And my 2 powerups:
    Shield: gives you a helmet, makes you invincible for a short period of time
    Slow-mo: slows down everything except you and your bullets for a short period of time, also effects some of the physics of the game (a big robots laser cannon shots (big glowing circles) usually hit the ground then bounce super high. In slow mo, they slowly hit then ground , then will basically roll over the ground (tiny tiny bounces over the ground).

I have no idea how many maps there are. I have 4 unlocked I think. The game's menu says I have 27% of things unlocked.

I'm still trying to deduce the unlocking mechanism. I still think it's the lifetime bob thresholds, but I'm not sure. It's not achievements bc there's more things to unlock than achievements, and I didn't get the weapons when the achievements popped up. So yeah, not those.

All in all, extremely fun and challenging. Probably my favorite orangepixel game because of all the unlocks.

That good enough for ya Bronxsta? :p

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #76 JCho133, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Ok so, I still am not sure how weapons/powerups are unlocked (threshold theory is the best I've got, but is unlikely because I am not unlocking things in order. At least, not in the order they are displayed in the extras menu.)

I've most recently unlocked 1 more power up and 1 more gun

Medkit: Heals you fully
    Laser: shoots 3 streams of needle thin lasers. Super powerful, but projectiles are slower compared to others. Kinda looks like the Portal Gun from portal

Buuuut now I'm pretty sure that you unlock a new area every time your highscore increases by 100. So I've unlocked ones once I got more score to 100, 200, and 300. Pretty sure at least.

Edit: I unlocked the last powerup
    Lightbeam: sends out a wave of light energy on either side, killing enemies to the left and right.

Edit Edit: unlocked my 4th gun. I keep forgetting to look at the name, but here's the description
    Rocketeer(?): rocket launcher, shoots powerful rockets that move really slow when first fired, but quickly speed up.

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    My last try to win it before the official release time.
    My fav is easily Gunslugs, beautiful hectic arcade fun.

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #78 coolpepper43, Apr 7, 2014
    Meganoid, the first ios game I played with retro graphics that was super well polished. Still better than most ravenous games.

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #79 JCho133, Apr 7, 2014
    Current highscore: 560
    83% unlocked

Only one weapon left!
    Jetpack!

2nd to last weapon:
    Electrifier: Shoots super fast moving balls of electricity that hit everything in their path. Only about 5 bullets per pickup

This is one of THE very best games I have ever played, and my definite favorite Orangepixel game.

20. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

And another code is given, this time the winner is Coolpepper43 !

I still have two codes on the list, so thats two more questions and chances to win a copy of Groundskeeper2.

Next question is a visual one, which Orangepixel game is this:

[​IMG]

answers either in PM or in the thread :)

- I'm probably enjoying this far more then I should, so might make this a standard thing for new Orangepixel game releases in the future ;)