Universal Gunslugs by OrangePixel

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by psj3809, Jan 16, 2013.

1. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

yeah don't get the tank near big explosions, cause that basically throws you out and blows it up ;)

2. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I'm guessing this doesn't have iCade Jr. support, does it? It seems like the perfect game for iCade!

3. orangepascal

it works on iCade.. and as long as the iCade Jr has about the same button setup, it should work.. but I don't have one so can't tell you :)

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I have to say, the game is absurdly fun.

I noticed that starting the game with different characters (not naming for spoilers) will start the game in different environments. Are the environments fixed per character?

Also, is there a proper end to the game - i.e. could one finish the game after a set of levels and bosses, or is it always just a run 'til you die?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this game :)

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I must admit this one has grown on me. Once you get used to its particular pace there does appear to be some method to the madness. Glad I stuck with it past the first two or three playthroughs.

6. orangepascal

Basically the characters you can find/unlock are spread across the various worlds. Those characters start in those worlds.. so that should make unlocking more characters easier and seeing all the various worlds also much easier.

Right now there is no real proper end to the game, but I'm pretty confident it will be very rare for someone to complete all the current worlds with a single character to actually reach a point that would require a type of ending ;D

oh and of course I have some updates planned with new worlds and such!

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Challenge accepted :p

Well, maybe not me, but someone here with more time will certainly do it. :)

Does it just cycle through the worlds again, is that it? Depending on the number of worlds, I wouldn't mind just having a finish screen after you complete all worlds, with a small conclusion to the whole story, but I see - that's not the purpose of the game ;)

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I'm late. But..... WOW!!!! To me the best game in weeks! Pretty much the best action platformer in the store. It reminds me immensely of Super Crate Box, the style, music, energy, speed, controls, general frantic feel - but with RANDOMLY GENERATED long levels!!! That's a small dream coming true. I'm really hooked from the first second on. And I see me playing this one OVER and OVER again in the next days and weeks to come. Congrats.

Only minor(est) gripe: the icon doesn't rely click with me, also that Orange Pixel logo, meh... but, the icon is not the game, so... yeah, amazing app!!

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i'm loving this (about to leave a review on the app store).

Remember people just take a minute out of your time to rate games like this on the app store, OrangePixel arent huge and i think ratings (specially legit ones !) do the world of good for smaller devs.

I'm a huge fan of OrangePixels games (By the way if you like this game try INC, its very good) and want them to do more and more ! The better ratings they get and the more sales that means more games for us

10. Your wish for the soundtrack has been granted!

http://gavinharrisonsounds.bandcamp.com/album/gunslugs

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    So I tried multiplayer with a friend, using his iPod touch and my old 3rd gen as controllers, then using my 5th gen iPod touch to run the game, and wow it was a blast! This game keeps getting better! :D

12. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Two annoyances, first the more major one:

Running out of ammo and being left with no option but to suicide is just Bad Game Design plain and simple.

The mines are unbalanced. Dying in one shot because there is simply too much stuff on the ground and zooming back and forth for you to have a reasonable chance of spotting one, is cheap and Not Fun. Particularly when it ruins a lengthy run. Either the mines must be made easier to see, or the "blip, blip" warning must be roughly doubled in duration, or the mines need to do about half the damage.

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    To be honest I have been playing too much Temple Run 2 and wishlisted this one, but this comment sold a copy.

14. orangepascal

Good point of view.. but to be honest.. running out of ammo in this game is bad gaming ;)

The "mine problem" I can agree with you, it's also on my "to fix" list. Altho just making it a lengthier blip blip isn't the fix (I tried).. more likely a more "flashy" blinking will be added so it appears more clear.

15. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I think making the mines clearer is probably the best solution too. It will be in keeping with the game's urgency while making it fairer.

And valid point about "bad gaming." The thing is though, Bad Gaming is a part of what Good Game Design should account for. ;)

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    In all my sessions so far I never ran out of ammo. So, I vote for bad gaming :D

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i must admit i havent ran out of ammo either, i'll keep playing and maybe later on in another level ammo might be tight. But so far i've been blasting everything like crazy

18. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    #59 Capricornman, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    So if we run out of ammo we're bad gamers...I'm convinced this game is for me!
    Downloading now:)