iPad Gurk III - the 8-bit RPG (by Larva Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Aug 10, 2013.

1. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #61 bigred447uk, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    I got that too mate ! I love the music in Underground sea as well. This game is so so good. I hope the devs will port over the other two games from Android, or maybe enhance them like they did with the Kingturn series.

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Such high praise, I may just have to grab this up next time I grab an iTunes card.

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Bring us iPhone 4 support! :D

This is totally up my alley!

4. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    For some dumb reason I never played with headphones, until you mentioned the music. And you're right, it's fantastic! This game does everything I love. If the dev ports the first 2, I will buy them immediately.

This game will never leave my phone.

5. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Also it's just dawned on me that having one save is actually amazing. When I've done this game there is no way I will not replay it with the other character classes. I can't actually even try them out until I've done this play through. I almost can't wait. Whoever designed this is a genius. I've banged on about the music but the gameplay is just topped off with the awesome soundtrack that gets progressively better as you uncover new areas. Anyway I'm glad I made you realise the music is good Inky... Enjoy :D

6. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Can't.Stop.Playing.

For three days now - and still no end in sight. Each unique item gets topped by an even better and greater one. Each shopping stop brings new gear to my party - and no stone is kept unturned.

I simply love this game!!

7. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    what's the issue on 4, pal?

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Read back 1 page.

9. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #69 Montanx, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    I just figured out the skills are different for the other classes. I thought they were the same but dif attributes but the other 2 mages have a dif spell to start.

10. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    but i'm playing it from the very first hour, and have not found any issues on my 4... weird!

btw, i'm loving it, great game!

11. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Isn't that cool? Awesome game.

12. symptomac

symptomac Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 23, 2012
    The End?

What a great game and timesink! Level 11, went into the great beyond
    forbidden world
    , and finally met our maker, the ultimate unbeatable boss
    [the exhausted author, lol! but i won't spoil more, genius!]

I think that was the end. If anyone has gone further, let me know. Maybe other characters have better spells. Berserk/Rage was the only thing that gave me a fighting chance. I played as Amazon, Rogue, Wizard.

13. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Whoa, how did you get this far? I'm level 14 now and cannot proceed to this very last (?) boss, though I think I'm somewhere near. Those
    Mlonnix
    keep killing my party :(

I think I'll backtrack once again to get me some rage/berserk jewels/potions ;)

14. symptomac

symptomac Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 23, 2012
    #74 symptomac, Aug 15, 2013
    Oh my. Just beat him and the game!! i hope :p
    (he's on the garden level of the forbidden world, about four in). Got the Badge of Honor. There's a terrible boss the floor below him that killed my Amazon - I finished him and his 4 fire minions off barely with my other two. Then they died to the final maker boss. Resurrected, I was able to limp back and with the gear i sold

get a final assault pack together:

1. Everyone needs to be able to paralyze : Amazon and Wizard have spells, the archer can get a wand of paralysis and there is an Orb i had at one point that did area paralysis. Time Prison spell is best.
    2. Everyone needs Rage Potion for Berserk - i used the Sword of Vengeance first move with Amazon then switched to Kingsword+1 to keep the Berserk going - as long as you use Fire/Attk at least once every turn, the Berserk stays on. This allows one attack and one paralyze/heal/re-energize/area-destruct each turn. If Berserk goes off, drink another rage potion first, then attack/heal..
    3. Cure Afflictions Wand - worst thing is getting paralyzed (and area paralysis). Best is to have Wand of Purity (cure all afflictions in area and Fast). Saved me when two got paralyzed at once.
    4. Star of Health, and Star of Energy are key too - they are not Fast, but they do full heal/energy, which is much more efficient when berserked.
    5. Vials of Unmaking (area and Fast) to throw in whenever haven't done another fast event, Wands of Destruction (area) and Wands of Disruption. Alternate with regular attacks to keep berserk.
    6. Dragonstone - got it as random drop near the end (and it was +1). Summons Golden Dragon which is beast. Hits hard over area, and even better, fully distracted the big guy once he got near. I'm not sure if i could have done it without this but i did run out of paralysis!
    7. other monster summons - flooding the arena with monsters sometimes helps if they have ranged attacks.
    8. I forgot to Bless my folks, (and Pendant of Honor didn't seem to work.

My wizard was berserked and casting Time Prison every turn to keep things paralyzed if the other folks didn't do it first. Then firing to keep berserk on. Or another Time Prison and rage potion the next turn. Everyone hits as hard as they can. It definitely felt epic
    (he had 525 hp :)

15. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    I think I worked out what happened here. This game is actually a Nintendo release but they pretended to be indie devs to test the water in the AppStore ! ;)

16. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    This looks cool, however people on iTunes are saying you can't load a save point? Is anyone having problems with this? It's the only thing holding me back.

17. symptomac

symptomac Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 23, 2012
    I never had a problem (and did it hundreds of times). I saved often. If I switched to a different app then killed the Gurk III process, when I opened it again (which was incredibly fast), it would offer to load the previous save.

18. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #78 The Gamer Dude, Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks I don't know what they were referring to then , but as long as I can continue from my last save point I'll be happy.

Well after about an hour I can see this is just going to be awesome. After figuring out the menu system and getting a feel for controls I'm really digging this . Combat is especially satisfying and I can already tell there is a ton of loot to collect. Can't wait to play more - going to the dentist with my SO and I'll play in the waiting room , god I love mobile gaming :) and to think before I used to pretend to look at magazines in the waiting area .

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow... Gurk-III is amazing. I'll admit to snobbishly waiting to pick it up because I was curious about the odd user interface but thanks to Bigred447UK's impressions and those chiptunes in Sanuku's video I couldn't resist. Once Gurk-III gets going the UI is really no problems. There's a great sense of world exploration and turn based battles feel immersive with the greographic movement component. In combat, just when I've resorted to a no-brainer repeated pattern for attack for every battle the game throws a different enemy class at you forcing variation (suddenly I can't just leave everyone standing there until enemies reach my knight's sword when mage's are throwing me fireballs). Difficulty is good too, I want to keep on plowing through foes but my 3-man army keeps dying so thinks have stayed interesting so far. Gurk-III is a really fun game. Out of all the "retro" RPGs on iOS this one (and Silversword) really capture the "old school" feel of classics. I keep trying to Google hints on where to find Erdrick's Armor or the location of Mandrake only to realize this isn't Dragon Warrior or Ultima 4. If ever there was a sleeper title that all iOS users should be obligated to pick up this is it.

20. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    ^^^^ woot ! I knew our resident RPG officionado would be on board soon. If you think the music is good at the start mate then just wait till you get further. I'm determined to explore every single tile of this game. I don't want to miss anything.