Universal Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander (By Massive Damage, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Has anyone played it yet, and if so, how is it?

2. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Agree with verse no one is saying anything about how it plays etc
    Has anyone here even bought it
    Once I get my account caught up very soon next week then I’m gonna look at getting it
    So many good weeks lately got me ha
    So i fell you Lawliet

3. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #23 Gwarmaxx, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

yeah, i bought it, but i love this game since the original release on Steam, so maybe my words couldn't be good.

Halcyon 6 is a letter of love to 4X strategy old glories like Master of Orion, both Star Control, etc, mixed with modern masterpieces like Star Traders, Starbase Orion, FTL and also a bit of Star Trek Trexels.
    The pixel art, as well as the OST, are one of the best i've seen nowadays.
    The gameplay is difficult to explain, 'cause there's to much things to do, so i recommend you to watch any steam version video, the port on iOS is identical.

edit > this is a good start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlvAoSuDTc
    but keep in mind that this is the original version, we had now the actual LightSpeed Edition that has a lot of enhancements in graphics & gameplay.

you can also check this wiki to understand what we are talking about :) https://halcyon6.gamepedia.com/Halcyon_6:Starbase_Commander_Wiki

4. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Fork, you had me at star control.

WE ARE THE PKUNK!

5. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #25 Gwarmaxx, Oct 20, 2017
  6. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    I also had the game on Steam but prefer to play games like this on a tablet. As Gwarmaxx helpfully linked, there are plenty of reviews and gameplay videos of the PC version. The only real question then is: how do the touch controls feel? I'm happy to say that they're spot on, though I will say that the attack icons in combat and text are pretty small on an iPhone. Your mileage may vary, but my old eyes are too far gone to play this game on a tiny screen.

Oh, and just to save some agonizing over your starting officer, Engineering (Yellow) is generally considered the best choice, but Tactical (Red) is also viable. Avoid the Scientist (Blue) when starting out, as he's pretty ineffective against the most annoying enemies you'll encounter early on.

7. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

yeah, you're right about the small screen (although nowadays there are many games with this issue), but this is the only way i have to play this beauty on the go.

the only thing i regret is not having a sync on saves between this and the PC version, i would have liked to get all my succesfully campaign progress also here.

8. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    some says it is close to FTL, what features / gameplay specifically? can't decide between this or WHQ2

9. MassiveDamageInc

MassiveDamageInc Well-Known Member

A lot of people compare us to FTL but the gameplay is more like XCOM base building meets JRPG style combat. There's no real-time micromanagement, time only moves forward when you click the time forward button. You can build and manage the base, give orders, create build queues, all while paused.

The combat uses combos, resistances and weaknesses, and shows individual turn sequence for all ships. The abilities you bring into combat are customized by you and the way you spec the skills for your officer and ships.

Hope that helps!
    Ken

10. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #30 Gwarmaxx, Oct 20, 2017
    ... and the soundtrack is glorious!!!

btw, i'm playing Vice Admiral (very hard) and it is very very tough, and there are another 3 harder difficulties :O

Attached Files:

11. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

hey Ken, can you do a couple of official wallpapers for iPhone?

12. ZeMindGames

ZeMindGames Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
    This is a great game from a great team, can't recommend it enough.

13. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Could you answer a question about the touch controls please Saucepolicy?
    I watched a youtube video for the pc version and there seems to be a lot of information available simply by mouse over and/or right clicking.
    How is this handled in the iOS version?
    Anything along the lines of a short tap is like a mouseover and a long click like a right click sort of thing?

The game looks great and I would love to get it for my big iPad Pro but I'm concerned that some of the stats and info on the pc version might not be available on the iPad version due to touch screen limitations.
    Thanks. #

14. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #34 Gwarmaxx, Oct 20, 2017

touch controls work great on iPhone (not plus), so i guess on iPad should be better.

15. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Cam anyone tell me what power does on the space station? I build the reactor for +20 power...But nothing tells me what that does.

16. chilifries

chilifries New Member

Feb 18, 2015
    From the wiki: "Power Modules: Modules require power. Increasing the power flow through the station makes sure everything functions smoothly."

17. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Save early and often....when the game crashes it rolls back.

18. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I figured? But not explained. Also I don't see a spot to see how much power is available/used.

19. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I know this game is great on Steam. Can anyone that bought the iOS version chime in on their experience so far on an iPhone.

Currently it's on sale on iOS and Steam, so trying to decide which to get.

20. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Thanks, ticks all the boxes for me!